Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
really busy triathletes who only train 10hrs/wk, post your stats
Quote | Reply
title says it all. Interested in your endurance background, body composition, what is your basic repeatable week (how much high intensity?), #hours/wk and duration of typical build, years in tri, how you monitor your fitness, and your Oly/HIM (IM?) race results on such a program.

Long story short, my life is too hectic right now (medical residency, two infants) to train any more than that, outside of maybe a four week build a couple times a year. I basically have 1 hr/day 6 days a week (6 long days in hospital/wk, sometimes 14+ hrs), and one day off per week. This is largely invariable the whole year. So NOT interested in lectures about how I need to make more time to train. Thinking about restructuring my training, can't afford coach, and could use some anecdata.

me first.
Background: 31yo, long-time runner (numerous BQs, etc.), first swam and biked two years ago
Body composition: BMI 20
Basic repeatable week:
M: 1h swim intervals
Tu: 1h bike sweetspot (trainer)
W: 1h tempo run
Th: 1h bike intervals (trainer)
F: 1h easy run
Sa: 1h easy run
Su: 2h bike at HIM pace (trainer), 2h brick run
years in tri: 2
how you monitor fitness: swim interval pace, FTP tests, tempo running pace
#hrs/wk and duration of typical build: occasionally get outside for a long ride?
Race results: latest HIM ~ 5:00 after a couple years in the sport. ~40 min swim, ~2:50 bike, ~1:30 run. Run-heavy program, obviously. Swim sucks and has of course plateaued on that training but it's very hard to get in the pool any more with my hours worked and hours the pool is open; I experimented with 2-3x/wk without much improvement and simply don't have the resources to take lessons or honestly even pay for a full-time pool membership right now. Bike continues to improve. Run splits continue to improve as bike fitness matures. Working on equipment upgrades (but poor).
Last edited by: solitude: Jul 7, 15 22:17
Quote Reply
Re: really busy dudes who only train 10hrs/wk, post your stats [solitude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couple options to experiment with:

Make one of your one hour easy runs and make it a 30min swim (e.g. lots of 50s, then a 30 min tempo run)

Ride 2h30-3h on Sunday and then run off the bike a little harder.

Generally add more intensity if what you're doing feels easy. You'll struggle to do anything in the swim without at least a second session.
Quote Reply
Re: really busy dudes who only train 10hrs/wk, post your stats [solitude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll bite...

Background: 33yo, played baseball growing up. Riding for 10 years, swimming and running for about 1 year, running interrupted by 2 different lower leg injuries. Run and swim training have changed dramatically last few months. I've gone to BarryP plan from 3 runs a week (2 x medium runs with threshold pace intervals and 1 very long run (20-26km), swimming was 2-3 times per week. I'm lucky that I can get out and swim or run at lunch every day at work. Have a full time office job and a 3 year old daughter.
Body composition: BMI 22
Basic repeatable week (current plan):
M: 1h bike 3x10m 95% FTP, 20 min treadmill run Z2, 10 x 200's at 3:30 leaving on 4:00
Tu: 15 x 100's at 1:40 leaving on 1:55, 45 min run Z2
W:
30 min bike 65-70% FTP, 20 min treadmill run Z2, 10 x 200's at 3:30 leaving on 4:00
Th:
15 x 100's at 1:40 leaving on 1:55, 45 min run Z2
F:
1hr bike 3x10m 95% FTP, 20 min treadmill run Z2, 10 x 200's at 3:30 leaving on 4:00
Sa: 1h run Z2
Su: 3-4h bike in the hills, 3-4 15-20min climbs 95% FTP
years in tri: 1
how you monitor fitness: swim interval pace, FTP tests, running pace at HR 150bpm
#hrs/wk and duration of typical build: No build's this year, plan is to gradually continue increasing volume
Race results: My one and only HIM (first and only tri in my life) was Nov last year, 4:59. Swim 35, Bike 2:31, Run 1:43, I averaged around 8 hours a week in training for this. My swim speed and run speed are well ahead of this time last year, and bike is about 15w higher at FTP as well. Plan on doing the local sprint series this year that starts in Nov, then jump back into long course the following year.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fellow resident here (not a dude, but I sympathize with your schedule).

Background
: 32 y/o F, ran and swam competitively for 10 years growing up. No cycling experience whatsoever unless you count the occasional joyride on family vacations. Joined a Masters swim team three years ago due to repeated running injuries, then had a shoulder injury, out for a year, now back swimming and running again (uninjured for 12 months, miracle of all miracles), and started doing Olympic triathlons this season. I'd done a few sprints in the past, but just for fun (rented a bike, no swim training, etc). I take a lot of home call, which means I can't go out for long rides or runs - I do the bulk of my training at the gym. I don't have kids but I do have a second job in addition to residency.

Body composition: BMI 21
M: 90 min Masters swim (4,000 yards, base pace is 1:18/100 scy for all sets no matter the distance unless it's a sprint set)
Tu: track work-out (3 x 1600 @ 6:45 pace or 6 miles on the treadmill @ 9:00 min/mi)
W:
6 miles on the treadmill @ 9:00/mi
Th:
90 min Masters swim
F:
rest day
Sa: 10 mile hilly run @ 8:00min/mi
Su: 90 min Masters swim +/- a bike ride of some sort

how you monitor fitness: swim interval pace on 100's, running pace on 3 x 1600, clearly I do not bike much...
#hrs/wk and duration of typical build: I don't know what a build is
Race results: First Olympic tri this year - 23:xx swim, 1:26 bike (embarrassing), 47:xx run. I know I've got a huge gap in my training when it comes to cycling, but part of that is an equipment issue (in the process of buying a new bike now). Because my time is so limited, I push myself in every workout, and I always exercise at the end of the day when I'm tired. I think that has really helped me in the run. I'd like to do a HIM, but I don't have a lot of room for more training right now, and I've proven myself to be injury-prone. Would love to do an IM someday, though.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with dado that you need to focus on intensity given limited time to train. As it seems you already know, treadmill and trainer are your friends as you can really control intensity and make the most use of your time never having to leave home (saves me all the time w/little ones to watch). I also think there's something to be said for doing this sport for many years. I train less now than I ever have but with a focus on intensity have still been able to PR as I get older.

Background: 40yo, college soccer, long-time runner
Basic repeatable week:
M: 1h masters swim + :45 tempo run
Tu: 1:30h bike tempo
W: :45h run (Yasso 800's) + :30 OW swim
Th: 1:30h bike tempo
F: :30h OW swim + :30h run
Sa: 3h long ride (short t-run time permitting)
Su: ~2h long run
years in tri: 12
how you monitor fitness: Bike power, Yasso 800 times, OW swim times...and then of course Strava
#hrs/wk and duration of typical build: 10-12h (3wk build, 1wk recovery, repeat)
Race results: I did my last IM on average of 10h/week in 2009 and went ~10:45. My latest HIM was a PR of 4:30 (30/2:25/1:30). I've got decent gear, but you don't need it to go fast. Buy a used P2 some cheap aero wheels and make the most of your training and you can still compete.

Good luck!
Last edited by: sailnfast: Jul 7, 15 21:54
Quote Reply
Re: really busy dudes who only train 10hrs/wk, post your stats [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dado0583 wrote:

Make one of your one hour easy runs and make it a 30min swim (e.g. lots of 50s, then a 30 min tempo run)

Generally add more intensity if what you're doing feels easy. You'll struggle to do anything in the swim without at least a second session.

thanks for your reply. I like these ideas a lot. Since the swim is so hard to train logistically, I've settled on just plodding through until I get to the bike. I feel like swimming 1x/wk along with racing the swim leg VERY EASY is enough to not impact the other two legs too much. Am I kidding myself?
Quote Reply
Re: really busy dudes who only train 10hrs/wk, post your stats [mvogt46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvogt46 wrote:
I'll bite...

Background: 33yo, played baseball growing up. Riding for 10 years, swimming and running for about 1 year, running interrupted by 2 different lower leg injuries. Run and swim training have changed dramatically last few months. I've gone to BarryP plan from 3 runs a week (2 x medium runs with threshold pace intervals and 1 very long run (20-26km), swimming was 2-3 times per week. I'm lucky that I can get out and swim or run at lunch every day at work. Have a full time office job and a 3 year old daughter.
Body composition: BMI 22
M: 1h bike 3x10m 95% FTP, 20 min treadmill run Z2, 10 x 200's at 3:30 leaving on 4:00
Tu: 15 x 100's at 1:40 leaving on 1:55, 45 min run Z2
W:
30 min bike 65-70% FTP, 20 min treadmill run Z2, 10 x 200's at 3:30 leaving on 4:00
Th:
15 x 100's at 1:40 leaving on 1:55, 45 min run Z2
F:
1hr bike 3x10m 95% FTP, 20 min treadmill run Z2, 10 x 200's at 3:30 leaving on 4:00
Sa: 1h run Z2
Su: 3-4h bike in the hills, 3-4 15-20min climbs 95% FTP
how you monitor fitness: swim interval pace, FTP tests, running pace at HR 150bpm
#hrs/wk and duration of typical build: No build's this year, plan is to gradually continue increasing volume
Race results: My one and only HIM (first and only tri in my life) was Nov last year, 4:59. Swim 35, Bike 2:31, Run 1:43, I averaged around 8 hours a week in training for this. My swim speed and run speed are well ahead of this time last year, and bike is about 15w higher at FTP as well. Plan on doing the local sprint series this year that starts in Nov, then jump back into long course the following year.

cool, thanks for sharing. Faster than me by a minute :). If I read that right, you are doing 3 workouts three times a week and two workouts twice a week? Do you brick everything (including the 3-a-days) to save time?
Quote Reply
Re: really busy dudes who only train 10hrs/wk, post your stats [kells] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kells wrote:
Fellow resident here (not a dude, but I sympathize with your schedule).

Background
: 32 y/o F, ran and swam competitively for 10 years growing up. No cycling experience whatsoever unless you count the occasional joyride on family vacations. Joined a Masters swim team three years ago due to repeated running injuries, then had a shoulder injury, out for a year, now back swimming and running again (uninjured for 12 months, miracle of all miracles), and started doing Olympic triathlons this season. I'd done a few sprints in the past, but just for fun (rented a bike, no swim training, etc). I take a lot of home call, which means I can't go out for long rides or runs - I do the bulk of my training at the gym. I don't have kids but I do have a second job in addition to residency.

Body composition: BMI 21
M: 90 min Masters swim (4,000 yards, base pace is 1:18/100 scy for all sets no matter the distance unless it's a sprint set)
Tu: track work-out (3 x 1600 @ 6:45 pace or 6 miles on the treadmill @ 9:00 min/mi)
W:
6 miles on the treadmill @ 9:00/mi
Th:
90 min Masters swim
F:
rest day
Sa: 10 mile hilly run @ 8:00min/mi
Su: 90 min Masters swim +/- a bike ride of some sort

how you monitor fitness: swim interval pace on 100's, running pace on 3 x 1600, clearly I do not bike much...
#hrs/wk and duration of typical build: I don't know what a build is
Race results: First Olympic tri this year - 23:xx swim, 1:26 bike (embarrassing), 47:xx run. I know I've got a huge gap in my training when it comes to cycling, but part of that is an equipment issue (in the process of buying a new bike now). Because my time is so limited, I push myself in every workout, and I always exercise at the end of the day when I'm tired. I think that has really helped me in the run. I'd like to do a HIM, but I don't have a lot of room for more training right now, and I've proven myself to be injury-prone. Would love to do an IM someday, though.

girls are also welcome! Nice Oly time given that it doesn't seem that you bike :). I also take home call, which further limits my swimming. Do you bring your pager and leave it poolside and check between sets? I can't figure out how else to do it.
Quote Reply
Re: really busy dudes who only train 10hrs/wk, post your stats [sailnfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sailnfast wrote:
Agree with dado that you need to focus on intensity given limited time to train. As it seems you already know, treadmill and trainer are your friends as you can really control intensity and make the most use of your time never having to leave home (saves me all the time w/little ones to watch). I also think there's something to be said for doing this sport for many years. I train less now than I ever have but with a focus on intensity have still been able to PR as I get older.

Background: 40yo, college soccer, long-time runner
Basic repeatable week:
M: 1h masters swim + :45 tempo run
Tu: 1:30h bike tempo
W: :45h run (Yasso 800's) + :30 OW swim
Th: 1:30h bike tempo
F: :30h OW swim + :30h run
Sa: 3h long ride (short t-run time permitting)
Su: ~2h long run
years in tri: 12
how you monitor fitness: Bike power, Yasso 800 times, OW swim times...and then of course Strava
#hrs/wk and duration of typical build: 10-12h (3wk build, 1wk recovery, repeat)
Race results: I did my last IM on average of 10h/week in 2009 and went ~10:45. My latest HIM was a PR of 4:30 (30/2:25/1:30). I've got decent gear, but you don't need it to go fast. Buy a used P2 some cheap aero wheels and make the most of your training and you can still compete.

Good luck!

cool, thank you for the input. Really impressive times. I guess I need to just keep plugging away. I did recently buy a tri bike + bike fit which seems to have helped a lot. Now have a PM too which will help a lot with pacing (I tend to over-bike like everybody else without one). Still need a few aero goodies like helmet, disc cover, latex tubes but certainly not planning on breaking the bank. Anyway, it's really helpful to see what people's repeatable weeks look like in structuring my own, so thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are quite similar (aside from our formal education level!)

Background: 31yo, former rower. Been in triathlon, off and on, for 4-5 years. I'm a self employed carpenter, so I work some long hours, especially during the summer, at a physically demanding job.
Body Comp: 6'1", 180lbs = BMI around 23.
How I monitor fitness: Strava PR's, masters swimming, tempo runs and RPE. No high tech training tools.

#hours/week: winter, maybe 5-6. Spring/summer, I like to get up to 10 when I can. My all time max in triathlon was around 14/week for several weeks last year in an IM build. I try to do as little run intensity as I can as I have had problems with shin splints in the past. When I can, I'll add in as many short (30 min) runs as my schedule allows to add volume.

Typical spring/summer week:
M: run (45 min)
T: Masters swim (75-90 min)
W: run or bike (45-90 min)
Th: Masters swim (75-90 min)
F: Rest or easy run
S: Bike (as long as schedule allows)
Su: LSD run or rest

Race results: My HIM times are just over 5hrs as well. Our bike splits are around the same, but I'm 10 minutes faster on the swim, and 10 minutes slower on the run then you! My goal is to get a good indoor riding set-up over the winter. I think a few 45 min early morning trainer sessions every week over the winter would help me get my bike fitness up with a minimal time investment.

Question re: your sunday working. What is the point of that 2hr brick run? With your run strength, and cycling weakness, why not spend more of that time riding?

Long Chile was a silly place.
Last edited by: BCtriguy1: Jul 7, 15 22:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
41 (as of the 5th)

No exercise until June 30th 2014 when I weighed 93.5kg

Weekend is Fri / Sat
Friday - 2 hr bike 5am-7am
Sat - Long Run - while wife and
Sun - Swim 45 mins R 20
Mon - Bike 45-60
Tue - Swim 45 R 20
Wed - Bike - 45-60
Thur - Swim 45 R 20

For 51 weeks I averaged 8.7 weeks including 2-3 weeks of illness (back injury / flu), 4 weeks of skiing so no SBR those weeks and 2 weeks at Xmas with run only as I was in London / skiing

Last 12 weeks before IM france I took half day off a week to do a long workout so it did not eat in to family time - we have a 18 month old baby

Only done 2 triathlons in 14 years - first Half IM CH early June and went 5.40 - 34, 3.00, 1.5x plus transitions - that brought the total for that week to 19+hours

3 weeks later IM France - 1.18, 7.15 and 4.45

I think that I could go 5.15-20 on a easier half bike course with quicker transitions - IM I think with hindsight I could have gone 12.xx and I will try the 4 middle east halves this year / start of next to go faster then IM France again next year

I am going to change the above program for the next 6+ months to be entirely bike focused - it does not seem to be a good use of limited time to run as I am when the bikes so weak and my run will not worsen significantly.

I will swim once, run once / twice and bike 5/6 times a week for 6 months
Quote Reply
Re: really busy dudes who only train 10hrs/wk, post your stats [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
We are quite similar (aside from our formal education level!)

Background: 31yo, former rower. Been in triathlon, off and on, for 4-5 years. I'm a self employed carpenter, so I work some long hours, especially during the summer, at a physically demanding job.
Body Comp: 6'1", 180lbs = BMI around 23.
How I monitor fitness: Strava PR's, masters swimming, tempo runs and RPE. No high tech training tools.

#hours/week: winter, maybe 5-6. Spring/summer, I like to get up to 10 when I can. My all time max in triathlon was around 14/week for several weeks last year in an IM build. I try to do as little run intensity as I can as I have had problems with shin splints in the past. When I can, I'll add in as many short (30 min) runs as my schedule allows to add volume.

Typical spring/summer week:
M: run (45 min)
T: Masters swim (75-90 min)
W: run or bike (45-90 min)
Th: Masters swim (75-90 min)
F: Rest or easy run
S: Bike (as long as schedule allows)
Su: LSD run or rest

Race results: My HIM times are just over 5hrs as well. Our bike splits are around the same, but I'm 10 minutes faster on the swim, and 10 minutes slower on the run then you! My goal is to get a good indoor riding set-up over the winter. I think a few 45 min early morning trainer sessions every week over the winter would help me get my bike fitness up with a minimal time investment.

Question re: your sunday working. What is the point of that 2hr brick run? With your run strength, and cycling weakness, why not spend more of that time riding?

awesome. Working a physically demanding job probably counts for a lot. I do walk much of the day but there is plenty of sitting too, and it's always air conditioned. You are pretty light on bike training, as I was before getting my trainer setup. The trainer is so key. All it took for me was a fluid cycleops off craigslist, one heavy duty fan, and trainerroad. Total cost about $150. Great results off those training hours! I would kill for your swim.

Two reasons for the 2h Sunday brick run. First is it's my only day where I can train more than an hour, so I feel like I sort of have to cram in a long-ish bike and a long-ish run into one day. Suboptimal of course, but at least I get a hefty dose of endurance. The other reason is to spend time with my wife and kids in the double BOB--we all do that run together. Easier for me to justify taking two hours on the bike on my one day off if I can hop off right after and go for a nice jog with the family. Doesn't seem to beat up my legs as I have a very deep running background (80+mpw for years, etc.) and in any case the day after is just swimming.
Last edited by: solitude: Jul 7, 15 22:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I brick the trainer/treadmill early Mon/Wed/Fri morning as it's very time efficient and I've found is great for being able to run off the bike (well in training anyway, still untested in a race). I swim at lunch Mon/Wed/Fri and run at lunch Tue/Thu. One of my best purchases in the last year was the treadmill, it's allowed me to follow the BarryP plan, I've noticed some good gains from this so far after a couple of months. Run pace at 150bpm is about 15-20 sec/km quicker. Without it I would still probably be running 3 hard runs a week and still getting injured. I tried training at night when everyone is in bed but it just makes me way too tired by about Thursday and is less time efficient than mornings, especially as our little one won't go to bed before 9.30 no matter how hard we try!

Yes our times are close, it would be a fun race. You take a flyer on the swim, I'd pass you on the bike then try and hold you off on the run!
Quote Reply
Re: really busy triathletes who only train 10hrs/wk, post your stats [solitude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
solitude wrote:
title says it all. Interested in your endurance background, body composition, what is your basic repeatable week (how much high intensity?), #hours/wk and duration of typical build, years in tri, how you monitor your fitness, and your Oly/HIM (IM?) race results on such a program.

I'm 48 and have been doing tri's since 1987. The passion and commitment has come and gone and come again. I used to be a fast runner (35:49 open 10k, 36:10 in a tri) but I tore my ACL at age 40 and herniated a disc 2 years later. Interestingly, despite that, in the last 2 years I've actually become a faster swimmer and cyclist. At Nationals last year, I had second fastest time in the swim and a PR on the bike (1:00:28). But I fell apart in the run due to achilles injury (44 mins).

This year I've trained an average of 4 hours/week.
Results:
- 1st AG sprint tri-Stanford Treeathlon
- 3rd AG wildflower olympic (monsters Darren Baker and Shane Arters 1 and 2)
- 1st AG sprint-Morgan Hill
- 1st AG sprint-CIT

To this end, some short cuts:
1. Swimming. Be as efficient as possible with workouts. Personally, I get bored after 25 minutes and I don't see much benefit in swimming longer if your goal is an Oly race. The secret to swimming is frequency though I don't think volume matters as much. You need to swim 2x week to maintain and 3x or more to improve. But that doesn't mean you need to do an hour each time. A great workout is 3x600 (yards). Don't rest between intervals but click your watch after each 600. Try to do each interval progressively faster. I will promise you that if you do this 3x/week, you will see huge gains by the 3rd try. Furthermore, doing this drill will help you in a race -- speed up on the second 600 and kick it in on the last 600. It's weird how when you swim really fast things change; it's noisier and more chaotic. You need to get used to that feeling. Also, repeat 200's or 300's are very helpful and help the time pass. The bonus is if you swim just 30 minutes, you can also get in a run or ride on the same day.
2. Cycling. Ride hard when you ride if you have limited time. A great training tip is to find a flattish TT course with little or no stop signs/lights. And go friggin all out for 1 hour. Keep track of your times and analyze where you suffered and focus on improving on those segments. Use Strava to help.
3. Running. Instead of focusing on just pure mileage, make sure you are not hurting yourself with injury and muscle imbalance. Use at least one day a week to do strength training and flexibility, with an emphasis on flexibility. This could be Yoga. Or focused stretching/massage.
As an example, I had a running coach 2 years ago when I fell apart at Nationals in the run. We had piled on the mileage. Result? I got injured. At a 5k race that year, I ran 21 minutes and was hobbled for months after; it f'd up my results at nationals. This year, I have been working with a flexibility/core strength/muscle balance coach -- but with very little running mileage to try and get healed and balanced. Result this year? Same 5k in 19:37.
4. Heart rate. Get used to feeling and knowing when you can "hold the heave". Meaning, flirt with your maximum heart rate. Ride or Run and feel what it is like at max HR. But then figure out how to back off and recover. For example, on a hard climb, say you hit 188 BPM. Instead of blowing up, carefully back off just slightly to say, 180-182, and use that to recover and maintain. Don't drop all the way down to 165. It's all about knowing how to hold the redline and finding incremental breaks to recover.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by: twain: Jul 8, 15 0:33
Quote Reply
Re: really busy triathletes who only train 10hrs/wk, post your stats [solitude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Background: Age 40, played loads of sport as a kid, was a keen rower from about 18-25, since then have regularly entered bike, run and multisport events but rarely training more than 10 hours/week for any of them
Body composition: BMI is 24, but relatively muscular build
Basic repeatable week: Typical week for me would involve:
- about 4-6 hours of cycle commuting
- 1-2 hours of running spread across 2-3 runs
- a ~2 hour weekend ride with friends about every other week
- swim about once a fortnight
- go on the rowing machine about once a week for up to an hour
- will normally average 2 short (20-30 minute) sessions per week of body weight and core stuff. Pull-ups, sit-ups, single leg squats, lunges, etc.

Above is if I'm just ticking along keeping myself fit and healthy. If I've got a particular event coming up I'll get a bit more specific - e.g. for any running event of 10k or more I'll drop some of the cycling and do at least 4-5 runs/week.

years in tri: 15. Sort of. Haven't actually done a tri since 2008, but still run and ride every week, swim occasionally, and enter bike, run and duathlon events a few times a year
how you monitor fitness: pace and general feel. Always run with GPS and HR, that combined with RPE gives me an excellent indication of how fit I am. Cycle commute is generally a good indicator of cycling fitness, as it's a ~16 mile ride with rolling hills that I do on a single speed. If I can fly over the hills without getting out of the saddle I know I'm in good shape. I'm never fast at swimming so that's easy to monitor
#hrs/wk and duration of typical build: average right now is about 8 hours. I travel with work a reasonable amount, when I travel my cycling gets wiped out so in travel weeks I tend to manage ~6 hours, if I'm at home I might manage as much as 10-12 hours if not too busy at work.
Race results: Olympic 2:25, HIM 5:10, IM 11:37. IM was something like a 1:30 swim, 5:50 bike, 4:05 run. Swim kills me at Oly distance, splits for that was something like a 36 minute swim, 1:04 bike, 40 minute run, and that was a loooong time ago when I still had a huge base of rowing fitness from doing 15-20 hour weeks for 7 years
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This sounds like me:)

Background: 33 yo M, 2 kids at 1 and 3, full time day-job (office). I've been training all my life, but not endurance-sports (previous alpine skier). Been cycling for 8-9 yrs, took up tris in 2013. Only really began run/swim then. Turned out I could swim ok (by newbe-standards) without any real swim-volume (started of being able to hold 2min/100m-pace quite effortlessly, and worked down to 1:40 - 1:45 on about 1 swim/week - I credit this gains solely to a better stroke, no real improvement in fitness).

Body Composition: 1,80m / 78 kg (BMI 24.1)

Basic repeatable week:
Really unpredictable and varies greatly - usually average about 8/10 hrs/week - including a 45 min bike-commute 5 days a week. Training usually consits of riding 6 days a week (45 min communte during week days to/from work, in addition to perhaps 2-3 more sessions of 1-2 hrs. My commute is easy, and i try to do some threshold-work in my other bike workouts - alot on the trainer year-round), running 3-4 times pr week (usually around 45 - 70 min runs, with 1 run usually being a tempo-like workout), swimming 1 times pr week - approx 1 hr / 2 500 - 3 500 m of various sets.

Highest ever training-volume has been this year from may untill now - where I've upped my volume to 13-15 hrs / week in preperation for my first IM in august. Pretty much same training scheme as above, and the increased duration is either adding 1 run pr week or doing 1 longer run of 2 hrs +, and adding more bike volume (more longer rides of 2-3 hrs). I have very few rides this year that last more than 3 hrs. I think I've had something like 3-4 rides all year lasting more than 3 hrs - they have been 4-5 hrs. How this will go for an IM remains to be seen, however the bike has always been my strength (favourable body composition for riding, given my background as skiier).

Years in tri: 2

How do you monitor fitness: for swimming - the pace I can hold "easy" for 100m in the pool. Running: RPE in my tempo-sessions. Biking: Powermeter - 20min intervalls / 40k TT's.

Hrs/week and duration of typical build: Bareley know what build means, training pretty much the same year round, except this year where i upped volume the last 2 months in prep for IM.

Race Results: Last HIM 4:36 (swim 31, bike 2:20, rund 1:37 - long transition-zones!). Felt good on swim and bike - not so much the run. Did not let up training in prep for this HIM (was just this last week-end), as I focus on the IM in august. I felt like the lack of taper hurt my run the most, as my legs felt alot more spent than they should have after the bike. But all in all good race - and HIM PR for me.

PR'd 40K TT on bike this year - 58:00 on a pretty (but not completley flat) course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll go. 2 kids under 4yrs for me, and I refuse to train mid week when my kids are awake. I also refuse to take more than 2/3 nights a week for training, I have a woman to take care of too ;-).

Background
: 38yo, fit at school then took up smoking for 15 years. Stopped smoking, started to run a bit aged 30. Always played a bit of football (I'm in the UK, this is soccer to some of you..!). Ran for a couple of years, took up triathlon with the intention of completing an Ironman. Did that in 2012, and again 2013, been pootling along trying to keep up since but see paragraph #1 about kids..! Never rode a proper bike until age 32, never swam front crawl until I took up triathlon.
Body composition: BMI 22.7 (11 stone 4lbs, about 5'10")
Basic repeatable week:
M: 1h run lunchtime, undulating
Tu: 40 mins swim (20x100m repeats), 1hr bike intervals (trainer, intensity, sufferfest or trainerroad etc)
W: 1h run lunchtime, undulating
Th: 40 mins swim (20x100m repeats), 1hr 30 bike (fairly easy, trainer, netflix etc)
F: 1h run lunchtim, undulating
Sa: family day, some OWS in the morning during summer (1500m - 2km) with kids along to go walking after.
Su: 2-3h biking outside, hilly

Occasionally sneak in a another swim early morning Monday or Weds.
years in tri: 6
how you monitor fitness: swim interval pace, FTP tests, test route ~10k ran fast
#hrs/wk and duration of typical build: 10ish. Build is whatever I can get away with adding in as I start to shit myself nearer to the race.
Race results: 10k time 36:30, 5k 17:35, half Mara 1hr23. Flirting with 10hrs at Ironman on a fair weather day and a decent course, half IM 4:35. Swim sucks a bit, around a 6:45 guy for 400m when I'm doing decent k/week.

Given my sporadic approach to training, low hours and the fact that I rarely string together more than about 4 weeks of consistent training at a time, I guess I have a bit of natural ability. Shame I didn't take up the sport when I was a bachelor!!
Last edited by: knighty76: Jul 8, 15 2:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Background: 27y.o., adult onset athlete. Work 40+hrs/week at a PT clinic and also go to school 10hrs/week on top of managing a social life with a girlfriend and active dog. Time gets scarce so I plan for 10-12hrs/week training. My work schedule isn't condusive to two-a-days as I work 7-3 MWF and 11-7 TTh with a 5:30-10:30 night class on MW.
Basic repeatable week:
M: Off
Tu: 90min bike
W: 1h tempo run
Th: 1hr Swim + Track Workout
F: 90min Bike
Sa: 2-3hr long ride + 15-30min t-run
Su: Long run and sometimes a swim
years in tri: This is season 4
how you monitor fitness: swim interval pace, FTP tests, tempo running pace
Race results: latest HIM 4:40, Oly PR is 2:07 but planning to break this pretty open this year. Beat my open 13.1 time by like 8 minutes in a training run earlier this year, bike and swim are progressing nicely as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rather than give you my stats (which are almost non-existant of late, especially the last 2-3 seasons), I'll give you some general advice, from somebody who rarely ever trained for 10+ hours a week, and still did well at the HIM distance (< 4:30 several times).

Google Finding Freestyle. It's a 12 week course, and was by FAR the best $ I ever spent in triathlon.
(or click the link in Dave Luscan's signature - which can be found easily in the "ask me anything about anything" thread.

Like you, I was an adult onset swimmer, and over several years was able to move my HIM swim splits from 44 to 40 to 37, and then got stuck there.
After Finding Freestyle, my HIM swim splits were :33- :35.
On an average of 2 swims/week, sometimes 3, and almost never more than an hour - typically :45 mins or so.

PS - even better, now I don't swim AT ALL anymore - other than with a timing chip on - any my swim splits in sprint tris are still about the same as when I actually used to train, pre-FF. So, I've achieved Tri nirvana as the President and Founder of Total Aversion (tm) Swim Training - being decent enough in the water w/ zero training, such that I can still enjoy racing and be reasonably competitive.
YMMV.

Your Sun workout is pointless - first off, you don't need to be running for 2 hours, period.
Secondly, doing that off the bike really doesn't make any sense.
Can you do that ride as an actual ride? A good, spirited 2-2.5 hour ride, weekly, with a lot of hills (if you have them in your area), followed by a :30-:45 min T-run, ez or steady, your choice, is a solid, repeatable workout.

Maybe you could even sneak in that 2nd swim, if you didn't devote all 4 hours to B & R?
(2 hr ride, :30 T-run, then you've still got 1.5 hrs to make a :40-:60 min swim happen)

You're a good runner. Put that on the back burner a little bit, and focus on your weaknesses - swim and bike.
I'd recommend you at least try to swim 2x / week - 1 FF workout, and 1 other.
(I liked doing that other one as an OW swim - swim "out" for :15-:20 mins, bob for a minute, swim back)

Good luck!
M

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I "swam" in the military, so I have no concerns about the swim in OW, which will skew what I do compared to others. I also have to be at work by 6:30 in the morning, typically work until 5 pm and 11 am on Saturday, and live in the north east. So with all that said:

Sunday -> Long run (in the winter over 15 miles, in the summer less depending on the weather)
Monday AM -> In the pool at 5 am, out at 5:50 and off to work. Mostly 100 repeats
Monday PM -> Bike ride on my road bike. Typically 30 to 40 miles.
Tuesday -> Run (5 to 6 miles)
Wednesday -> Bike ride on my road bike. Typically 30 to 40 miles.
Thursday -> Run (5 to 6 miles)
Friday -> Off *
Saturday -> TT bike at the park for 50 to 75 miles of circles, followed by 3 to 5 miles of running.

* One Friday a month (normally the first one) is an evening open water swim with the club. Generally less than 1500 meters, just to socialize and play in the water. Not really much of a workout.

During the winter the road bike days shift to 45 minutes on the trainer with the TT bike, the evening runs go up accordingly, and Saturday becomes a 3 hour swim workout that includes drills and ladder sets.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not had a chance to race much here lately so not sure of my times, this is my third year and every race the past two years besides the IM I did I was always on the podium. My HIM is probably around 4:30. A lot of my workouts are cut short by the baby waking or just flat out busy with work, just try to get something in

All bike rides are on the trainer, runs on the treadmill or in the neighborhood. Difference is this year is all of my bike rides are pretty hard, no recovery rides. Last race I did had several pros and I had the third fastest bike split.

Sun - long run (90 min or shorter)
Monday - 2000-3000 recovery swim
Tuesday - hard bike and easy run (length depends on time)
Wednesday - Hard swim, normally 3000 or so
Thursday - Steady bike and tempo run
Friday - Speed swim, 2500-3000
Saturday - 2-3 hour bike, short T run
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looked at my stats for the last few years and my averages are between 9 and 11 hours per week. Probably looks like 7-8 hours during winter, 12-13 in season.

Background: M45 yo, started Triathlon 6 years ago
Body composition: BMI 23.2
Basic Week:
M 1h swim, 1h30 bike
T 1h10 run
W 1 swim, 1h15 bike
Th rest
Fri 1h swim, 1h10 run
Sa 3h bike
Su 1h45 run

On paper that's almost 13hours but I often skip a swim and in winter time do shorter bikes/runs. Intervals during winter on the bike.

Years in tri: 6
Monitor: TACX Power in winter. No powermeter on bike. Running pace.
Race results: 2 IM (10h03, 10h05). 7 x 70.3: from 4h41 (Timberman 2012) to 5h37 (Vegas 2012). 5 of the 7 were under 5 hours. Best swim 26:30 (56:00 full). Best bike 2h34 (5h22). Best run 1h27 (3h35).

I wish I could run below 3h30 for a full IM and sub 1h30 for 70.3 (did that only once) and start going downhill like a real cyclist again (am really slow on the downhills since a 'speed wobbling' incident many years ago)....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does the hospital/medical school you are at have a weight room ? Could you carve out 30 min 3/6 of those days while you drink your protein shake for lunch and the rest of the residents are congregating in the cafe ? Maybe one of your co-residents would be interested and you guys can get away together. Adding 1.5hrs of strength training could really help with your swim and overall fitness. Just a thought.
Quote Reply
Re: really busy triathletes who only train 10hrs/wk, post your stats [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
I'll go. 2 kids under 4yrs for me, and I refuse to train mid week when my kids are awake. I also refuse to take more than 2/3 nights a week for training, I have a woman to take care of too ;-).

Background
: 38yo, fit at school then took up smoking for 15 years. Stopped smoking, started to run a bit aged 30. Always played a bit of football (I'm in the UK, this is soccer to some of you..!). Ran for a couple of years, took up triathlon with the intention of completing an Ironman. Did that in 2012, and again 2013, been pootling along trying to keep up since but see paragraph #1 about kids..! Never rode a proper bike until age 32, never swam front crawl until I took up triathlon.
Body composition: BMI 22.7 (11 stone 4lbs, about 5'10")
Basic repeatable week:
M: 1h run lunchtime, undulating
Tu: 40 mins swim (20x100m repeats), 1hr bike intervals (trainer, intensity, sufferfest or trainerroad etc)
W: 1h run lunchtime, undulating
Th: 40 mins swim (20x100m repeats), 1hr 30 bike (fairly easy, trainer, netflix etc)
F: 1h run lunchtim, undulating
Sa: family day, some OWS in the morning during summer (1500m - 2km) with kids along to go walking after.
Su: 2-3h biking outside, hilly

Occasionally sneak in a another swim early morning Monday or Weds.
years in tri: 6
how you monitor fitness: swim interval pace, FTP tests, test route ~10k ran fast
#hrs/wk and duration of typical build: 10ish. Build is whatever I can get away with adding in as I start to shit myself nearer to the race.
Race results: 10k time 36:30, 5k 17:35, half Mara 1hr23. Flirting with 10hrs at Ironman on a fair weather day and a decent course, half IM 4:35. Swim sucks a bit, around a 6:45 guy for 400m when I'm doing decent k/week.

Given my sporadic approach to training, low hours and the fact that I rarely string together more than about 4 weeks of consistent training at a time, I guess I have a bit of natural ability. Shame I didn't take up the sport when I was a bachelor!!

So you're a 38 yearold ex-smoker (15yrs!!) with 36:30 , 17:30 and 1:23 run times...not too mention 4:35 HIM ...all off of 1-hour lunchtime runs 3 x week?!? Hmmmm....either you are full of BS ..or....you could win Kona AG if you actually trained.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
solitude wrote:
dado0583 wrote:

thanks for your reply. I like these ideas a lot. Since the swim is so hard to train logistically, I've settled on just plodding through until I get to the bike. I feel like swimming 1x/wk along with racing the swim leg VERY EASY is enough to not impact the other two legs too much. Am I kidding myself?

I think you'll surprise yourself with how much better you do on the bike after actually being in shape for the swim, but it def will take some commitment to swim training.

I go around 5:05-5:10 on a hot HIM course (haven't done a cool fast one yet) on 10-11hrs/wk of training on avg, but I do go up to 13-14 in there, and when I go back to 10, most of it is pretty hard effort.

I did get a 'secret weapon' for the swim, which was my Vasa trainer (do a search on it/me - tons of posts), which took my swim from a 42 (bop) to sub 34 (top 30%) in a year and a half mainly because it allowed me to get a lot more swim volume, both during swim focus blocks as well as triseason blocks. In your case, a boost from 1hr/wk to 3hrs/wk would triple your swim volume, likely with huge results (as it did for me, although I was going from 3hrs/wk to 6-9hrs/wk to really improve on the swim. I'd swim close to a 50 HIM if I just did 1swim /wk!)
Quote Reply

Prev Next