Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

random pain around the ball of the foot?
Quote | Reply
Okay, this is a new one for me - recently I've begun experiencing pain around the ball of my foot. I first felt it while on a training run (about a 5k). Not a sharp stabbing pain, more of what I might describe as an intense heat. Nothing I couldn't run through, but uncomfortable nonetheless. It goes away pretty quickly after I stop running. Now I'm getting it while cycling. Same foot. Seems to come and go (the pain, not the foot). I get it on the stationary bike as well, with different shoes, so I figure it's not a cleat issue. I come in just around 170, which is about 10 pounds above race weight. Any thoughts?

Life IS an endurance sport. Finish Well
www.fwe1.net
Quote Reply
Re: random pain around the ball of the foot? [plainsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started with something vaguely like this on bike rides several years ago, started out as hot feeling, then occasionally graduated to real pain. Not sure if related but then starting about two years ago I've had progressively worsening ball of foot pain, more specifically the ball of foot plus ends of toe bones (metatarsaglia), that requires virtually all my shoes (bike, work, casual, running) to have metatarsal pads for me to be able to go about life without pain.

Doc said this is probably related to wearing down/out the fat padding that used to provide cushioning, due to age and wear related, I'm 53. If I had foresight I would have started with met pads in the biking and running shoes a long time ago.

------------------------------------------------------------
some days you're the windshield some days the bug
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might try googling "sesmoiditis" and see if that seems like what you have. Been dealing with it myself for several seasons and have yet to find a solution :-/
Last edited by: USPro Tri: Mar 31, 15 17:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had similar, but not exactly the same symptoms staring a few years ago. Pain while running near the base of the big toe. Pain was intermittent, but become unbearable during track workouts. Eventually I saw a pt and ortho, xrays indicate it is Hallux Rigidus - bone spur near the base of the big toe. I'm using orthotics with an insert that prevents me from loading/bending the toe. I havent ran enough to say whether or not the treatment plan is working - still working on itbs issues. My advice - see a med professional.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with the rec to check out sesamoiditis.

This might be just the thing. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00164

Good luck,

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had metatarsal pain last season that turned out to be bruising in 2 of the bones. If I were you I'd have it checked out before continuing to run on it.
Quote Reply
Re: random pain around the ball of the foot? [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So if this my issue, it sounds like riding a bike would also aggravate it. I may have it checked out by a doc. Thanks.

Life IS an endurance sport. Finish Well
www.fwe1.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my case, I was told to avoid all activity that put pressure on that area. Including the bike.
Quote Reply