Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

race wheel rentals
Quote | Reply
. i am sure these have been used by many of you. what are they like to deal with. is there any down side to using them
Quote Reply
Re: race wheel rentals [leeandsusan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have only rented from a LBS once. it was a pretty easy process. I drop off my bike, they swap the cassette and put on new brake pads and make any required brake adjustments, I race, and bring my bike back, and they swap everything back and give me the gently used brake pads for use with future rentals. If i did buy new wheels from them within 90 days, they would have applied the cost of the rentals toward the new wheels.

I am sure this is probably different for every shop. I did buy my own wheels later, thus only 1 rental experience.

the down side is they expect you to give them back. the other down side is if you get really deep wheels and its a windy race day, you will not have had much time to get used to them. every day you have rented wheels costs money.
Quote Reply
Re: race wheel rentals [tfleeger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks was think more about http://www.racedaywheels.com/ at ironman races.
Quote Reply
Re: race wheel rentals [leeandsusan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used a similar named company in the UK.

I did IM Zurich, so booked some Zipp 808s for that race and an OD race I was doing about 6 weeks prior so I could get through any niggles ahead of time.

They turned up, I fitted my cassette and what I found was I needed to wind the brakes out a fair bit to clear the rims. They also sold me the correct pads for the CF rims. Which I kept between the 2 races. You need to remove them as you run the risk of your normal wheels marking the cork pads which then can damage the zipps. And obviously at that point the rental firm charge you for a new wheel! THe firm I used also fitted Schwalbe tyres with extenders.

I liked the way my bike looked even more "Race" with the expensive wheels on. I liked the noise they made. I liked the way I felt a bit more "IM" with them on.

If I had the disposable money to buy some 808s for sunny days I would. As I don't, it was a nice addition to my day. I doubt it made any tangible benefit to my time. But more about the feel good factor, shallow that it is :D
Quote Reply