Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
race sticker removal from seat post
Quote | Reply
The sticker from my last race will not come off the seatpost. any suggestions for solvent to use on SHIV seatpost. Never had this problem before

2016 Specialized Shiv Pro Race 1x
2015 Specialized Venge
Quote Reply
Re: race sticker removal from seat post [ryryrocco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ugh, I'm having the same issue from the NYC triathlon - on both my carbon seat post and helmet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ryryrocco wrote:
The sticker from my last race will not come off the seatpost. any suggestions for solvent to use on SHIV seatpost. Never had this problem before

Acetone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goof Off works great. http://www.goofoffproducts.com/...pro-strength-remover It is usually in the paint isle at the hardware store. (This is a great product to have around the house for a whole host of clean up and adhesive removal issues).

Peel off as much the sticker and glue as you can then put some Goof Off on a paper towel or rag and the residue should wipe off in a few passes.

I've never had any hint of trouble on my bike (or anything else I have ever used this stuff on) and the internet says its safe for carbon and it is safe for clear coat as long as you don't soak it for a really long time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WD-40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ryryrocco wrote:

I don't stick race sticker on my bike anymore. I just cut it down as small as possible and scotch tape it down. Never had any problems.
Quote Reply
Re: race sticker removal from seat post [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel like acetone and carbon wouldn't be the best mix??
Quote Reply
Re: race sticker removal from seat post [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brake cleaner works well too for sticky stuff like that. I've gotten it on my car paint before with not issues, so I don't think it'd really destroy your bike's paint job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nail polish remover. Your wife has it.
Quote Reply
Re: race sticker removal from seat post [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nail polish remover is Acetone as well, just watered down. I'd go with the oil based removal suggestions like WD40 or Goof-off rather than the solvents. While the clear on the Shiv seems robust...better safe than sorry.
Quote Reply
Re: race sticker removal from seat post [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I usually use a race number mount from https://vondrais.com/ but i forgot it for this race.

teichs42 wrote:
ryryrocco wrote:

I don't stick race sticker on my bike anymore. I just cut it down as small as possible and scotch tape it down. Never had any problems.

2015 Specialized Venge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that kind of what i thought

ninagski wrote:

2015 Specialized Venge
Quote Reply
Re: race sticker removal from seat post [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going to buy this on the way home

STP wrote:
Goof Off works great. http://www.goofoffproducts.com/...pro-strength-remover It is usually in the paint isle at the hardware store. (This is a great product to have around the house for a whole host of clean up and adhesive removal issues).

Peel off as much the sticker and glue as you can then put some Goof Off on a paper towel or rag and the residue should wipe off in a few passes.

I've never had any hint of trouble on my bike (or anything else I have ever used this stuff on) and the internet says its safe for carbon and it is safe for clear coat as long as you don't soak it for a really long time.

2015 Specialized Venge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sometimes using the sticker itself, the sectuons that peeled off preoperly, will take off the parts that didnt. Duct tape or even electrical tape works as well to pull the residue off.
Quote Reply
Re: race sticker removal from seat post [test] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it was stuck quite well. most didnt come off

test wrote:
Sometimes using the sticker itself, the sectuons that peeled off preoperly, will take off the parts that didnt. Duct tape or even electrical tape works as well to pull the residue off.

2015 Specialized Venge
Quote Reply
Re: race sticker removal from seat post [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
ryryrocco wrote:

Acetone.

+1

Worked great for me.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For future reference, one thing I've found helps when putting those stickers on is to leave almost all of the backing on the sticker, exposing just the edges a few millimeters. I've found that amount of exposed adhesive to be sufficient to keep the sticker in place without making it a permanent addition to my bike!

I had a sticker from a charity ride on my carbon bars for a few months, and when I took that off it removed some of the clearcoat with it from the bar- definitely don't want to do that again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hair dryer + duct tape. Melt the glue a little bit then use sticky side of the tape to pull it off. Patience...
Quote Reply
Re: race sticker removal from seat post [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
be careful with GoofOff, especially the "Pro Strength", I used some on a helmet and it dulled the glossy finish.
Didn't have the issue with GooGone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WD-40 will do it.

One trick to help prevent residue in the first place: before you apply the sticker, press it against your t-shirt repeatedly before placing on your bike. The lint from your shirt makes the adhesive less sticky and should peel right off after the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ninagski wrote:

I have used acetone on several thousand carbon bikes and it doesn't do anything except remove the sticky stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
acetone eats plastic. no way. use rubbing alchol. might take some "soaking" of the area with a rag (just hold it on that surface), but it will eventually work. i do this on my carbon, black cervello seatpost all the time... no issues. no acetone!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stopped at my local hardware store on the way home and at their recommendation bought Contractors Solvent by De-Solv-It . basically 100% essential oils, no chemicals. Sprayed it on let it soak for a few seconds and rubbed a little and the remaining label and all the glue came right off. I did avoid paint contact just in case.

Thanks for all the ideas

ryryrocco wrote:

2015 Specialized Venge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best future solution...never peel the sticker again. Use scissors, cut your number to fit in your seat post or other area and tape it with simple clear scotch tape. I always took scissors and tape to a race.
Quote Reply
Re: race sticker removal from seat post [stuh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stuh wrote:
acetone eats plastic. no way. use rubbing alchol. might take some "soaking" of the area with a rag (just hold it on that surface), but it will eventually work. i do this on my carbon, black cervello seatpost all the time... no issues. no acetone!

Funny.
Quote Reply

Prev Next