Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

quality run before or after bike
Quote | Reply
I don't do super high quility like 400 m or so. But rather 1-2k intervals at tampo pace, around 70.3 run pace or somewhat slower.
I don't do hard run and hard bike at the same day, but I often ride and run the same day.
Would you put the run or the bike first? does it matter?
The run would become harder for sure if I put it second, but it would be more like in triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: quality run before or after bike [johan123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bike first, run second. almost always.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The key is nailing the workout. From the sounds of your run workout, it's not that hard and you should be able to do an easy bike before and still nail it. But if you start doing harder run workouts you'll probably have to move it before the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the goal is to get faster think about what's most beneficial to achieving that goal.
Depending where you are in your season you may need to evaluate more than just which order you do your workouts in

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always run after my bike. I do it that way as it seems to help the legs liven up quicker on run on race day. There doesn't seem to be as much acclamation time.

However, i will do a run before a bike session every once in a while just to elevate my heart to mimic getting out of the swim. That run isn't ever extremely hard either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the run is specific to getting faster at running... then run first.

If the run is specific to race and you're getting close to race... then run 2nd.

Are you trying to get faster running.. or are you getting ready for a race. Different parts of the season. The benefit to this isn't just physical.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
COROS Sports Science

Quote Reply
Re: quality run before or after bike [HonestYP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HonestYP wrote:
I always run after my bike. I do it that way as it seems to help the legs liven up quicker on run on race day. There doesn't seem to be as much acclamation time.

However, i will do a run before a bike session every once in a while just to elevate my heart to mimic getting out of the swim. That run isn't ever extremely hard either.

I save any run before bikes to Duathlon races.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: quality run before or after bike [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
HonestYP wrote:

I save any run after the bike to Triathlon races. I still tend to go out a little too quickly on the run.

Diffferent story if there is a significant period of recovery between bike and run - I can see the point in that.
Quote Reply
Re: quality run before or after bike [Hoffmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on time of season and how long the quality run is. Closer to a race, I will try and do fartlek intervals or a progression run off the bike, maxing out at about 25 to 30 mins. That's for oly and sprint distance races. That would be my second quality run of the week, with the first being a stand alone run during the week, comprised either of intervals, tempo or fartlek type work. That run can be anywhere from 45 mins in total (including warmup/warmdown) to 70 mins.
Quote Reply
Re: quality run before or after bike [Hoffmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hoffmeister wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
HonestYP wrote:

I save any run after the bike to Triathlon races. I still tend to go out a little too quickly on the run.

Diffferent story if there is a significant period of recovery between bike and run - I can see the point in that.

I always run off the bike in training, always. Never run on fresh legs, ever.

If one is racing a triathlon, IMO, there is never too fast to run off the bike, if you are competing. I got 100% off the bike and just hit the finish
line with nothing left in the tank.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try both and figure out how it affects you. Then figure out what order fits your goals for the specific period the most. For me, I only run before the bike if I do duahtlon intervals or have a run-block and still want to bike some.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Hoffmeister wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
HonestYP wrote:

If one is racing a triathlon, IMO, there is never too fast to run off the bike, if you are competing. I got 100% off the bike and just hit the finish

You don't do any long run days where you are running and that is it?

I agree that there should certainly be training in your week where you are not running on fresh legs, but getting off the bike and just all out effort is a good way to actually bonk on a run and not finish with your best time. Yes, finish the race exhausted and nothing left in the tank but to just jump off the bike and go for it? Sounds a bit reckless.

This approach is probably more doable at Orly and Sprint distance but i find it hard believe that at a HIM or IM that would be a good strategy.
Quote Reply
Re: quality run before or after bike [HonestYP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HonestYP wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Hoffmeister wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
HonestYP wrote:

I agree that there should certainly be training in your week where you are not running on fresh legs, but getting off the bike and just all out effort is a good way to actually bonk on a run and not finish with your best time. Yes, finish the race exhausted and nothing left in the tank but to just jump off the bike and go for it? Sounds a bit reckless.

This approach is probably more doable at Orly and Sprint distance but i find it hard believe that at a HIM or IM that would be a good strategy.

Nope, I run long 3 days a week for 90 minutes in the hills. But before each run, I ride my bike trainer for 90 minutes doing intervals. What I did today.

I just did a Du on Sunday, and at 60 for the 10K start I ran a 38:xx at a 6:14 pace. So, has not hurt me too bad but it HURT!! 5K after that bike was a 20:43, 6:45 pace.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have dabbled with a saturday/sunday as follows a few times this year, and it has gone well:

Sat AM: 10-11 mile run.. some easy miles, some slightly faster, just whatever feels good

Sat midday: after a quick nap and a nice plate of eggs, i have gone out for 2 hour bike rides with quality climbing.. takes a bit to warm up and get lose off the run, but you can settle in and have a quality ride

Sunday: long run in am.

i have found this is a great way to get in extra run mileage at a decent level of quality.. since i would never brick for 11 miles unless it is a peak ironman training week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
HonestYP wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Hoffmeister wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
HonestYP wrote:

Nope, I run long 3 days a week for 90 minutes in the hills. But before each run, I ride my bike trainer for 90 minutes doing intervals. What I did today.

I just did a Du on Sunday, and at 60 for the 10K start I ran a 38:xx at a 6:14 pace. So, has not hurt me too bad but it HURT!! 5K after that bike was a 20:43, 6:45 pace.

+1 to your results. I hope I am able to do that well at your age.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do both. It depends on the day, the time, the weather and the goals (I am in an IM build at the moment). Yesterday morning was 90 mins threshold work followed by 5 mile run with last 3 at high Z3 pace. This morning was 84 mins Z2 bike followed by 6 mile run at Z2. With the time change, running first means running in the dark which I simply don't like.

For long rides of 4+ hours, I typically run first then ride unless I am specifically seeking a transition run. Running first before the long ride ensures a) higher quality run and b) less probability that I will chuck the run because I'm beat from the long ride. The latter is especially true in the heat of the South Florida summer. Riding in a heat index of 105-115 is doable, but running is very difficult...best to do it early in the morning before the ride.

Or I will run first if doing a split long run. E.g., a couple of weeks ago was AM: 12 mile run + 75 min Z2 trainer ride. PM - Swim + 6 mile run.
Quote Reply