Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

processing charge
Quote | Reply
Good thing many of the tri junkies on here are rich lawyers...

So one thing that irritates me as I signed up for my latest tri, is a $10 processing fee, that is not included with the up front price... early bird pricing told me 155$ for the race, I get to check out and its $165. This becoming typical of all races - Has there been any class action lawsuit to stop this and have prices listed with no hidden fees and taxes? If not let me extrend further... you go to grocery store to buy soda here in cali.... add on 5 cents Crv, 9 cents carbonation tax, and whatever state city tax there is and you are paying 33% higher than listed price... have their been any efforts to stop this? When I lived in europe, for everything it was what you see is what you get for product and price. No wonder why people are in debt as they go in buying something they think they have money for, only to have additional fees added on that because the foot is already in the door they go on and put it on credit or whatever.
Quote Reply
Re: processing charge [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sounds like the promoter/sanctioning body is trying to distract you from the real rip off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You didn't have to pay VAT tax in Europe? That is the new way, everybody gets a piece of the pie. No sales tax, check your income and property. No income tax, check your property and sales tax. My favorite is renting a car the tax is almost as high as the rental. I don't give a damn if you need a new stadium in your town. I don't think I should buy it for you. Ya dude it sucks, but what are you going to do? Do you think the race will be cheaper or more expensive after they settle a law suit? Or will they even have one? We are all screwed either way.
Quote Reply
Re: processing charge [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, much better in Europe, you just pay 50% more for the same product, so everyone gets their fair share. But hey, there's less fees & taxes... so even better, you have no idea what "cut" everyone is getting. Capitalism works much more efficiently when fees and taxes are hidden from the consumer. Same with the "free" healthcare. Just let bureaucrats negotiate all the rates. That will stimulate efficiency, competition and innovation.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: processing charge [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
You didn't have to pay VAT tax in Europe? That is the new way, everybody gets a piece of the pie. No sales tax, check your income and property. No income tax, check your property and sales tax. My favorite is renting a car the tax is almost as high as the rental. I don't give a damn if you need a new stadium in your town. I don't think I should buy it for you. Ya dude it sucks, but what are you going to do? Do you think the race will be cheaper or more expensive after they settle a law suit? Or will they even have one? We are all screwed either way.
There's always VAT included but in Europe it is required to advertise the price with everything included. So if something says it's 5 euro, that includes the VAT. The price it shows is the price you pay.

Quote | Reply
One of my favorite "hidden" taxes is the yearly property tax here in NC on electric cars. There is an additional tax to electric car owners because the are not paying road tax through the hidden taxes in gasoline. Sort of a contra-incentive in my opinion.

Interestingly, when we were in Germany (Roth trip) last summer I asked lots of people about their taxes. I don't know enough about their system to give either a full or fair comparison, however, it seemed that if you add up all of the US taxes that we are not too dissimilar. Further it seemed their incentives were better aligned with intended results. The obvious visible examples were the use of wind and solar power. Lastly, it appeared to me that the services were better. Granted, I was just seeing a snapshot but it seemed they were making some smarter decisions on guiding their future.

In the US we seem to be all about the here and now. Politicians want the polling from today. So, we tend to sacrifice the future. Doing that perpetually is insidious destruction, but who cares as long as they appear to win today. Perhaps that is a great lesson from triathlon (long distance in particular) - the result today is based on the work that was done over the past 1, 3, 5, 10 years. That is the same in business and even with our families. Perhaps politicians will figure that out someday....or, we need to run slowtwitchers for office!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bit of background.

In almost all cases, the processing fee is collected by the online-event registration company, that processes the registration on behalf of the event. Typically half of those fees ( in your case about $5) go to the credit-card company. These are the so called merchant fees. Note all of those processing fees DO NOT go to the online event registration company as some think - they typically get half or less!

There are many online event registration companies and Race Management organizations have many choices of provider. In almost all cases the Race Managment organization is quite happy to turn this work over to a third party service provider - registration, unless done properly can become a massive time-pit and headache for the many VERY lean Race Management organizations. The smart/good ones typically, will happily outsource this to a expert online registration company, who specializes in this service.

Now, some races/events will have an in-house registration system that they have developed on their own - for a cost with employees coding/programming it, and running it, or that they have bought off-the-shelf or through some form of subscription fee. The thing to note here, is that there is a "cost" for everything these days.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Nov 29, 14 8:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you sue someone for goods that you paid for?

Don't like it, don't pay the fee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't have to pay the fee, it's for the convenience of registering online.
Quote Reply
Re: processing charge [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
You don't have to pay the fee, it's for the convenience of registering online.

they offer no other option. I under stand the workings of the fee. It would be nice if everything was included in the up front advertised price. Like in europe, VAT and all calculated in for one simple sticker price.
Quote Reply