Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

powertap problem
Quote | Reply
Hi guys, got a problem with my powertap, thought there may be someone here that could help.

My computer got a virus, and I ended up having to reinstall windows! I uploaded my WKO+ and the garmin drivers for my forerunner in a few minutes. My powertap is much moe difficult. when I plug my powertap CPU in the computer immediatly recognises a "USB serial converter" but after it has 'found new hardware' the computer says 'the drivers were not installed propely and it might not work' . From that i concluded the drivers are not installed properly. to try and solve the problem I have:

Uploaded poweragent to get the drivers
made sure the PT-CPU was pushed all the way in
tried just plugging in the cradle, turning the powertap onbefore plugging in and every permutation inbetween
Uploaded the lastest version of java
Phoned paligap where they said the virus might have got in the USB cradle, (when I said my device wasn't conected at the time he said 'you never know' helpful I know,)
tried the device on my friends computer (it worked first time)
re installed power agent
Looked on driver utilities/windows automatic driver finder thingy
Gone on the device manager and manually pointed to the power agent driver folders (blue screened)
uploaded the FTDI driver and used the device manager to point to those folders (blue screened again)
uploaded golden cheetah device not recognised
gone to a computer repair shop who said I've downloaded the wrong drivers and need to get the right ones, felt my pain, and told me paligap were talking nonsence well that wasn't the actual word he used but there might be kids reading with this, you never know;)

there is a common solution floating on the internet suggesting tp change the COM ports, however I cannot do that yet on the device manager as the device isn't installed. When the IT guy looked at that solution he said it couldn't work, but I tried it when I got back and guess what he was right.

any suggestions would be welcome. as I'm out of ideas I would really appreciate anything, even if it doesn't work I'd be closer to getting to the right answer as there are only so many things that won't work ;)
Quote Reply
Re: powertap problem [onemoremile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First of all, the guy that told you the virus may have gotten into the cradle is an idiot but you already knew that.

Maybe you've already done this but go here http://www.cycleops.com/faqs.html and click on the Poweragent tab. Then click on "I think I need to install the special drivers.....". There is a link there for drivers for the little yellow computer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
send me a PM with your email and I will send you the driver

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: powertap problem [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the reply. I didn't see the 'i think i need to install drivers' link on the FAQ page you sent.

I think I've solved that problem. On the device manager it says it is working properly whereas before it didn't. I'm guessing I have the right drivers now.

I have had another go at using the FDTI drivers i found through a link on golden cheetah. uncompressed them and assigned the uncompressed files to a different location. ran the uncompressed file and rebooted PC. that seemed to work.

Before on training peaks where it says 'port' it was blocked out in grey so I couldn't even click download, now I can! On Golden cheetah, when i download it comes u as Seriel COM1, device powertap. I assigned the device to COM1. (and COM 3 and 4, all didn't work) now I can actually get to the point where TP/GC/PA tries to download and can't find the file.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thought i'd stick a message on for anyone from the future reading this with problems. somewhere along the line my data on my yellow CPU was wiped which is why i couldn't upload anything. i stuck the yellow CPU on my bike created 30 seconds of coasting data, went back to TP and boom it worked :)

for people trying to download cofigure devices, right click start then properties go on hardware tab, then device manager.

when i needed a driver the 'ports' tab didn't come up, i downloaded an FDTI driver, there is a link on golden cheetah website. instead I had a yellow questionmark with unknowndevice, if I went on properies here it told me it didn't have drivers and wasn't working, this was on the device status in the main box on the general tab

after downloading the driver, the file needs to be unzipped, a new file will come up, it will need to be ran. when its uploaded properly it will then give you a message that the drivers are uploaded.

when you go back into device manager the device should/will be in ''ports'' .
to check it has worked go to the device manager and it should say the device is working properly. then you can go to port settings, advanced, and check it is COM3 or COM4.

for me that was enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had exactly same problem on my Vista laptop. The first thing to check is if there any other software that may interfere with PowerAgent. It could be something like Windows ActiveSync.

In my case there were no interference with another software. PowerAgent was showing new COM port (COM11) but was unable to find PowerTap on it. You can find this information in Edit -> Application Settings -> Preferred Device Port. The default setting in the drop-down list is "Automatically detect port". Keep it this way, but if you open the list you'll see available COM ports.

Here is what I ended up doing to resolve the problem:

1) connect PowerTap's cradle to a USB port. There's no need to attach Powertap itself, but it won't hurt.
2) open Device Manager (right-click on Computer (or My Computer), select Manage and then Device Manager).
3) Navigate to Ports (COM & LPT) and click on "cross" to show the ports.
4) Your cradle will show up us one of the COM ports. Mine was COM11.
5) Right-click on the port and select Properties
6) Click on Port Settings tab
7) Click on Advanced button
8) There's COM Port Number drop-down list. From that list select COM3 or COM4. Disregard "in use" message and warning.
9) Start PowerAgent software. Make sure that PowerTap is in cradle and turned on. PowerAgent shoud find the PowerTap on the new port.

Thanks

[url=http://www.cogniview.com/]pdf to excel[/url]
Quote Reply