Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

powercal thoughts
Quote | Reply
So I've got a powertap. It's grand, but it's pricey. I do more than half my riding while commuting on a separate commuter bike. Said bike is locked up outdoors often. I don't want a pricey hub or crank on the bike. However I would like to track the training load of my commute. What do you think? I already wear a fenix 2 all the time, so a powercal seems like a reasonable solution.
Quote Reply
Re: powercal thoughts [corneliused] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got one, very happy with it. DC Rainmaker gave it a very good review. He tested it against Powertap and other power meters, found similar numbers.

Why pay upwards of a thousand bucks when you can buy it for $88 off Clevertraining.com with DC Rainmaker's discount code.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of money for a heart rate monitor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I trained with a PowerCal for about 6 months before I got my Vector.
As far as I can tell (based on comparative data from my Vector), it's pretty accurate for overall AP and NP in retrospect and usually got me within 10W for a ride, but rubbish for analysing shorter segments.

Not something that should be relied on for pacing, but pretty good for reviewing and tracking progress.
Last edited by: Liaman: Apr 20, 15 23:36
Quote Reply
Re: powercal thoughts [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am about getting a Powercal; the focus is to pace myself correctly through long rides, where HR tends to grow, and for long-ish intervals (say 10 minutes or so). no actual need for a powermeter on shorter bursts. do you think the powercal can serve the purpose?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Planning on investing in one for the same reason as you. Already have tri bike, road bike and winter bike with separate power meters and want something to give me basic TSS numbers after a ride on one of my other bikes (I have lots!). Was easy before but now I have some 10 speed, some 11 speed, some GXP some BB30 - its turning into a nightmare. Powercal gives me fairly reliable overall figures if not exact detail and is good enough for some rides to mean I do not need more power meters for short rides. Accept its limitations and what is not to like? Would not consider one as my main go to power meter though.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For your purpose of acquiring/logging additional data to incorporate with your training, the PowerCal sounds like a perfect solution.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got mine for $60 on Amazon. For under $100, I think it's a great tool to add to the toolbox, when it's too much work to swap out a wheel/cranks/pedals/etc.

Mine gives power readings that are fairly close to what my G3 gives, and allows me to try out new rear wheels, ride my 650c and mountain bikes, or even my old 27" Schwinn LeTour when I'm in the mood, and still have something in the Power Meter column on Garmin Connect.

It may not be as good as a true power meter, but it's really not bad, and I feel it was money well spent.
Quote Reply