Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

power zones
Quote | Reply
My ftp is 345. So for zone 2 that's around 200 to 250 watts and it feels very slow. I'm doing a him in July and full in October. Should I look to train more in the 250 to 300 for the him and race the same and then dial it back a bit for the full?
Quote Reply
Re: power zones [kblahetka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's lots of research out there on "pacing with a power meter for an ironman", check out google for better answers from actual coaches. General consensus: 0.65-0.75IF for IM, 0.75-0.85 for HIM. Stay lower with less experience. Example:

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2014/04/training/use-data-power-meter_96083

The 2 second answer to your massive "how should I train" question: you can't optimize for both. The full seems to be the big goal. Give the blanket question you dropped, assuming you're fairly new to this, which means training in Zone 2 for the full IM will definitely increase your Zone 3+ HIM performance as well. But that's total internet speculation without any knowledge of you individually.
Quote Reply
Re: power zones [adamas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. This is my first year with a power meter. I've done 5 halves but always over cook the bike so bought a pm to dial it down, and up on the shorter rides.

So by IF, that means % of ftp?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kblahetka wrote:
My ftp is 345. So for zone 2 that's around 200 to 250 watts and it feels very slow. I'm doing a him in July and full in October. Should I look to train more in the 250 to 300 for the him and race the same and then dial it back a bit for the full?

Holy shit I want this problem you are having.
Quote Reply
Re: power zones [Triagain2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 260 pounds so the watts per kg number is far less impressive in context.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, IF is basically just a % of your threshold (in reality it's based on Normalized Power, which is simply an algorithm that accounts for the true biological costs of variable human output... they tend to be near similar on flat courses, far different for climbing or inconsistent riders): http://home.trainingpeaks.com/...ctor-training-stress

5 HIMs seems like plenty of experience (more than me) but power meter is a separate beast. Re: speed, for benchmarking purposes, I did a 3 hr ride last weekend @ about 2.1 W/kg (the only way to compare power across people as you identified) with lots of stoplights/wind/etc + 2200 ft climbing and was able to pull down ~17mph average. That would put me at ~ a 6.5 hr full IM (or 6.25 for 18mph w/o all the stops), which isn't shabby unless you're trying to do win your age group or something. You're just below that 2.1 W/kg for your Zone 2, so the "really slow" is probably in your head.

I've heard the following things from triathletes I admire and trust: step 1) to true bike power is ride more often. 2) is follow a structured plan based on power. You can get good training plans on trainingpeaks using power and plenty of other places. If you only care about the bike, trainerroad is super popular here. Just my 2 cents.

Also, to be frank, dropping 30 lbs would get you to 3.34 W/kg which is a solid increase.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bo Jackson is that you?
Quote Reply