Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
potential new whistler bike route
Quote | Reply
Would be an interesting course. A hard Ironman may just get harder (less flats). Bring it on!

http://www.whistlerquestion.com/sports/local-sports/ironman-submits-updated-bike-course-proposal-ahead-of-2018-event-1.23085978

Quote Reply
Re: potential new whistler bike route [triracerboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow...

I am guessing 8k feet of climbing. That would put it up there with Lanzarote and nice as for sure one of the top 3 toughest.
Quote Reply
Re: potential new whistler bike route [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Wow...

I am guessing 8k feet of climbing. That would put it up there with Lanzarote and nice as for sure one of the top 3 toughest.

And one reason they changed, then cancelled IMLT. Folks said that much climbing was too much.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triracerboy wrote:
Would be an interesting course. A hard Ironman may just get harder (less flats). Bring it on!

http://www.whistlerquestion.com/sports/local-sports/ironman-submits-updated-bike-course-proposal-ahead-of-2018-event-1.23085978

There certainly won't be any complaints of drafting.
I did Norseman last year and honestly ran great off of 3300m climbing. This might work out well for me. ( positive thinking).
I also don't mind starting earlier. Will be cooler. Also get the big climb back to whistler done sooner before the wind starts to blow from the south down the hill. The whistler to Callaghan out andback is not as bad a finish as the present course.

Could be fun.
Quote Reply
Re: potential new whistler bike route [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Wow...

Any idea of what "loop through Mt. Currie" means? There aren't many road options there. I didn't check the distance, but this seems early for special needs.

I wonder what the proposed 70.3 course looks like. Having both seems critical for more making more challenging IM courses viable.
Quote Reply
Re: potential new whistler bike route [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:
Wow...

And one reason they changed, then cancelled IMLT. Folks said that much climbing was too much.

That will happen here too I suppose. It will be a 70.3 only at some point.
Quote Reply
Re: potential new whistler bike route [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have a map view of proposed route? Ain't mentally painting the picture they're describing.
Quote Reply
Re: potential new whistler bike route [ErickBar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ErickBar wrote:
Anyone have a map view of proposed route? Ain't mentally painting the picture they're describing.

Same highway as before, just starts south on Alta Lake Road before hitting highway and heading towards Pemeberton (north instead of south), then goes past Pemeberton on highway instead of through Pemeberton. Turns around on Hwy and returns to swim venue road, past swim venue (as used by buses on race day other direction) then onto Hwy to Callaghan climb as before. But after climb turns right/south on Hwy to Brandywine Falls before turning around and climbing back to Whistler T2. Climbfest!
Last edited by: SummitAK: Nov 12, 17 12:04
Quote Reply
Re: potential new whistler bike route [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
basically taking out 48-50km of flat and replacing it with 2Xtrips around west side road (alta lake road) or if people can remember the way the bus took you to T1.

And also replacing with a trip out and back from Calahan back to the village.

On Route Map I have 7700 feet of climbing.....with 6000 coming after mile 37, and 1000 in the last 15 miles or so from Branywine falls.

I love this and hope it works out, also don't mind the 5:30 start.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: potential new whistler bike route [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
ErickBar wrote:

Same highway as before, just starts south on Alta Lake Road before hitting highway and heading towards Pemeberton (north instead of south), then goes past Pemeberton on highway instead of through Pemeberton. Turns around on Hwy and returns to swim venue road, past swim venue (as used by buses on race day other direction) then onto Hwy to Callaghan climb as before. But after climb turns right/south on Hwy to Brandywine Falls before turning around and climbing back to Whistler T2. Climbfest!

If you head south on Alta Lake Road out of T2, you’re backtracking the route the buses take to drop competitors off at T1. After a bit of initial uphill you hit a descent which (from memory) hits 13% very briefly and is twisty. Not the nicest way to settle into the bike leg.

The stretch from Pemberton to the base of the Duffey Lake Road is flat as a pancake but not that long. Don’t know the area around Mr Currie well enough to say what the diversion into that will be like.

There is more uphill/downhill on Alta Lake Road than on the highway; it’s not an easy bit of road on which to find a rhythm. The big plus is that the part of the ride from Brandywine Falls back to Whistler not nearly as bad as Pemberton to Whistler. Testing still, but nowhere near as testing.
Quote Reply
Re: potential new whistler bike route [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg66 wrote:
There is more uphill/downhill on Alta Lake Road than on the highway; it’s not an easy bit of road on which to find a rhythm. The big plus is that the part of the ride from Brandywine Falls back to Whistler not nearly as bad as Pemberton to Whistler. Testing still, but nowhere near as testing.

The second time through here will probably be more bothersome than starting on this section. Carrying speed on Alta Lake Road will be challenging.

One plus about finishing the ride from south to north is that there will likely be a solid tailwind. The wind this past year kicked up out of the south early, during 70.3 swim, and blew steady most of the day. The climb back from Pemberton side is challenging enough without adding in a headwind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lived in Whistler for a few years and did that bike route a lot. It's not that hard of a route but probably hard for Ironman standards that favor flat courses. It's a good course, very enjoyable to ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greg66 wrote:
SummitAK wrote:
ErickBar wrote:

If you head south on Alta Lake Road out of T2, you’re backtracking the route the buses take to drop competitors off at T1. After a bit of initial uphill you hit a descent which (from memory) hits 13% very briefly and is twisty. Not the nicest way to settle into the bike leg.

The stretch from Pemberton to the base of the Duffey Lake Road is flat as a pancake but not that long. Don’t know the area around Mr Currie well enough to say what the diversion into that will be like.

I usually ride Alta lake Rd south to north. I think though rainbow park is at the bottom of a 1.5 to 2 km climb up to around stone bridge Rd iirc. Then it swoopsdown pretty steeply with a tight corner and over railroad tracks. Then back up to the highway. From alpine to rainbow park I think it is rolling with another 1.5 pretty steady climb in there as well. Road is ok but no shoulder. I can't imagine it will be closed to traffic all day.lots of people live on it.

Basically out of the water for a 2km climb then fast downhill.

Am I remembering this correctly?

I like the idea of thiscourse. I was not a fan of P meadows.
Quote Reply
Re: potential new whistler bike route [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, that’s exactly how I remember it.

ETA; a 5.30 swim start is going to be gloomy. Not dark, but the light won’t be great, esp if there is cloud.
Last edited by: Greg66: Nov 12, 17 15:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This may bring me back to Whistler. If nothing else because hard courses don't last long, and I wouldn't be surprised if this turns into a 70.3 only
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone ridden the course?

Would it be beneficial to ride a road bike, rather than TT (THAT much up)?

Could be the push needed to get me a light disc roadie that can bomb down hills at Mach 3...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
8000 feet of climbing. Cool. Bring it.

Quote:
moving up the race’s start time to 5:30 a.m.

FUCK. THAT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would be much more inconvenient for spectators hanging around the village - really no contact until T2 / the run (whereas old course allowed people to see them on the highway at the village 2x). Also not a fan of a 5:30am start - that makes for a really early wake-up call...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greg66 wrote:
Don’t know the area around Mr Currie well enough to say what the diversion into that will be like.

Just been playing around on bikely.com. If the turn north of Pemberton is alongside Lillooet Lake just before the Duffy Lake Road ramps up, then take the first right (Xit'Olacw Road), then Birkenhead River Road-> Owl Ridge Road-> Pemberton Portage Road back to the McD's in Pemberton and the Sea to Sky, plus the other parts of the route that have been announced gets to roughly 180km.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The ride back from brandywine falls to whistler at the end of the ride is harder than you might think. Definitely not flat.
The Alta lake road part also contains a short somewhat technical decent over tracks (i usually ride this the other way)

The harder the ride the better for me. But a 5:30 start? yikes Would this change the finish cutoff time? Some people might need till midnight on the harder bike!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make it a proper course and send it all the way up Duffey Lake itself :)
Quote Reply
Re: potential new whistler bike route [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Duf would be a "real climb" and would destroy many a rookie bike rider. The DNF rate would skyrocket.

I always wanted the ride to go to D'arcy. I love that ride. Locals would hate it however - they already take issue with riders on that road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There would be a lot of people who couldn't make it up the first 3Ks of the Duffey climb that average 10%.
Quote Reply
Re: potential new whistler bike route [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alpe d'Huez is 13.8k at 8.1% average.

The Duffy Lake Road is 13.7k at 8.0% average.

I vaguely recall the top of the DLR having a section where you can get onto the big ring. That's not my experience of the Alpe though.

So yeah, that would pretty much kill the race stone dead...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 5:30 am start is very early for that venue. The swim is a 15 minute bus ride from the village, and the sun does not come up until 7. Visibility for the rescuers in the water might be compromised. And, the fast swimmers would be starting the bike in the relative dark. Would IM put up lights, or would the riders be required to have lights on their bikes?

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply

Prev Next