Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

polar hr and c-trainer
Quote | Reply
Has anyone purchased the c-trainer accessory that picks up the polar hr strap? How well does it work? Is there anyway to get hr data out of it after the ride?
Quote Reply
Re: polar hr and c-trainer [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I finally broke down about a month ago after using the ear one for over a year. I was concerned it would be a problem getting a signal pickup. I had also heard that the hr values on the ear were generally higher than they really are. But it worked great from the getgo. They tell you there is some problem/techinical limitation with the polar coded tranmitter & to use it with the noncoded transmitter which I did without a problem.

But I then got the Polar S710 which I had planned on using in conjunction with the CT so I could have my hr profile & cadence profile recorded which was the only way I could figure to get the hr rate data out. When I tried to use the S710 with the nocoded transmitter it didn't show up on the S710. When I use it with the coded one it sometimes gets a signal on the CT as well as the S710. I can't figure out why it works sometimes with it & other times not even though CT says it won't work at all. When it does though it usually starts immediately & I have the signal through out. On those times the Polar HR average etc is the same as the CT average.

I haven't had much luck with the cadence sensor & have been pretty disappointed with that. I have it set so that the crank magnet passes by the ct cadence pickup at one point & the polar at another. It flashed etc but poor reception for the S710. Something I've learned from others. Lots of fiddling around. The one time I did get it to work the rpm values were the same as the CT. I was looking to use that for outside training as well to replaced the wired cadence I currently have on my my wireless speedzone which I've had exceptional service. But given the trouble I've had so far & the size of the sensor I don't think I'm saving any weight or gaining anything I don't already have except headaches.

I've also haven't figured out on the Polar software how (or if) to get the hr profile to a narrow range. Currently it goes from 50-250 by 50 so when I look at my profile its all pretty flat which isn't that useful.

By the way I always tell all the CT users I know of a great very tiny magnet for the cadence pickup which also works with my speedzone. The Radio Shack Rare earth magnet 2 $ 1.59. Its smaller than a pencil eraser & really picks up well. I super glue it to the inside of the crank. So far 2 outside seasons hasn't come off)
Quote Reply
Re: polar hr and c-trainer [BarbBikeTechie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To change the HR ranges - right click on the graph - go to "Curve Properties" and click on the HR tab.

I also found the Polar Cadence to be "not useful". Everything else on the S710 works flawlessly - best watch/HR monitor ever ... if it only had GPS. I once broke one of the buttons off and then went swimming -sent it back to Polar and they fixed it and replaced the buttons and the face for $2.75 shipping.
Quote Reply
Re: polar hr and c-trainer [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used my Polar 710 while riding the CT (with earpiece hr on) and would say that my CT and Polar correlate quite well for cadence and hr. Heart rates are within a few beats of each other at all times. I have to increase the signal strength of my cadence sensor, but when it does register, it is pretty much identical to the reading from the CT.

Now I just need the Polar power attachment and a powertap wheel and I will be completely hooked up with crosschecked equipment. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: polar hr and c-trainer [BarbBikeTechie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I haven't had much luck with the cadence sensor[/reply]

The problem with the speed and cadence sensor is usually the wireless transmission range. The default transmission power is set too low -- at least that is what most people seem to find.

You can open the case and there is a switch that sets the transmission power. If you increase it, it then works VERY reliably.

I know I've seen instructions on the net on exactly how to do this, but a quick google search didn't turn them up. Perhaps if you post a separate message with "adjusting 710 speed/cadence sensor power", you'll get someone will respond who remembers how to do it. After talking on the phone to their service technicians, I simply mailed mine to Polar service and they adjusted them for me (for free, of course). Polar service techs also offered to walk me through the process of doing it myself on the phone, but you void the sensor warranty if you open the case yourself.

Polar Service Center Polar Electro Inc.
370 Crossways Park Drive
Woodbury, NY 11797
1-800-227-1314
Fax 516-364-5454

[reply]I've also haven't figured out on the Polar software how (or if) to get the hr profile to a narrow range.[/reply]

This is an easy fix. When looking at a HR curve, double-click in the curve area. A "curve properties" box will come up. The tabs on the box will let you set options for HR, speed, cadence, altitude, etc. You can set the upper and lower heart rate range displayed.

You can also change the default speed displayed! I don't know about you, but I don't really need to display my speed between 0 and 250 mph! If I display it between 0-40 mph, that captures 99%+ of my riding.

--

~~Bob
Quote Reply
Re: polar hr and c-trainer [Bob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's the link on changing the output power, works great.

http://www.pursuit-performance.com.au/...m/DCForumID7/40.html

Ross Hoopingarner
Quote Reply