Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

piriformis syndrome
Quote | Reply
Need a little help. I've been suffering from piriformis syndrome for the past 10 months. I've tried alot of different treatments, including: Ultrasound, E-stim, active release therapy, deep tissue massage, stretching exercises, strengthening exercises, ice massage, running with a lift, but nothing has really seemed to help. From what I understand, this is a very difficult problem to treat. Has anyone experienced any successful forms of treatment to this in the past? Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Ahhh something I know about [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep! got it! had it! comes and goes....... I had several things but constant stretching of hamstrings both lower (knee) and Upper (gluet) and the infamout "piriformis stretches" work the best (let me know if you do not know the variations of this but you should be able to get a personal trainer at the local club or a Dr. to give you 2 methods. That damn thing kept me from a sub 2:40 at Chicago marathon a few years and few pounds ago. I received deep tisse massage, chiro and the cure... accupuncture! They loosened up my lower back and hammys and that made it better for me. Now I do not have the cashola to fork out repeated trips to them but I have kept it at bay for 2.5 years (knock on wood). That my friend is how I got into tris. I had to lighten the running. So in summary here is what worked.

1. Massage 2. Stretching stretching stretching 3. Chiropractor 3. Accupuncture (biggie). OH did I mention stretching 4. Lower run volume by 30% and intensity by 10% 5. Stretch stretch stretch. I wish you the best of luck.
Quote Reply
Re: piriformis syndrome [joe f] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Prior thread: http://www.slowtwitch.com/...ing=piriformis;#8818. Also, have you tried rest? That may be what it takes.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: piriformis syndrome [joe f] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahh, the bane of my existence, piriformis. About 5 years ago it basically ended my strictly running lifestyle, which resulted in the bike thing.

I tried about everything mentioned already, with moderate success. I suspect my inability to be patient didn't really help either. I still don't think that I feel "quite right" even to this day in the hip/piriformis area, however, at this point really can't remember what exactly feeling right is ??
Quote Reply
Re: piriformis syndrome [dirk diggler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good ole piriformis issues....the pain in the a$$ injury that just keeps on giving ;-) (sorry, I guess massage therapists aren't supposed to be punny).

As a certified (although non-practicing) massage therapist, I would say the two best methods I've seen out there to treat piriformis problems are through ART (active release technique) and through a massage technique named MFR (myofascial release). Honestly, I am a bit surprised that ART has not worked for you, as I have yet to see anyone with a diagnosed piriformis issue NOT receive some degree of help from the technique. However, with that said, there are times that utilizing either ART or MFR it requires multiple sessions. I've worked on people for MONTHS stripping lesions and deposits off areas where scar tissue has built up over the years (swimmers' shoulder, golf elbow, women who carry heavy purses on one shoulder and actually make an indentation with scar tissue in their muscle).

The relatively few downsides to either of the above treatment modalities, is that: a) they are not touchy feely "make you feel good" techniques. While it's somewhat disturbing to hear the language that can eminate from the lips of that little 98 pound triathlete gal who you always thought was so polite, their gratification after the treatment was well worth it. Also, while both treatments can actually CURE the problem (as opposed to being a "work around" to make it more comfortable to live with it), any problem like piriformis or other repetitive stress injury WILL come back if the behavior which causes it does not get modified. This means if you continue to NOT work on flexibility while running or cycling, or you continue to sit at a desk for extended periods of time without moving (probably THE largest cause of piriformis issues...or at least that I've seen and heard), you WILL get the problem again.

I would look more into ART, or MFR (activerelease.com or myofascialrelease.com) solutions and give it some time, along with some changes in your own behavior (better stretching, yoga, CVAC, etc.). Each of those websites I believe allow you to look up practitioners in your area.

Good luck,

~ Craig
Quote Reply
Re: piriformis syndrome [dirk diggler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Dirk,
I also suffered from Piriformis during my training leading up to my second Ironman in 2001. It got progressively worse despite my efforts with deep tissue massage, stretching, ice, and antiinflammatories. It was particularly bad when I drove my car (now I use cruise control as much as possible). I searched the internet and discovered the Sacro Wedgy. It was the best $30 investment I ever made...it literally saved my butt! I was 50% improved within one week and completely cured (with occasional maintenance sessions) within 3 weeks. I've since recommended it to many others who have had mixed results. So it doesn't work for everyone, but it worked amazingly well for me. Here's their website to read more about it: http://www.sacrowedgy.com/
...and no, they don't sponsor me ; ).
Good luck!

TriDi
Quote Reply