Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

p2k/p3 ride quality
Quote | Reply
I hope some current p2k and p3 owners can provide an opinion re the following:

- which of these bikes is likely to provide the "smoother" ride over im-type distances? I got one opinion from my LTS which goes: the p2k rides a lot rougher than the p3, it'll beat you up. When I look over their respective specs I don't see anything that would attribute to major (ride) differences, other than aero.

I'm about to make a decision re purchase. Since this is a big one, I appreciate users input. I also realize that an hour on the trainer or going for a spin wont tell the story.

- are there new colors for '04 in addition to what's out there now, i.e, is the silver p3 this years model?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

KW
Quote Reply
Re: p2k/p3 ride quality [eisenheini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, well, I would beware of any commentary about either bike that includes staements like "beats you up". Based on my experience with the bikes, riding, selling fitting and owning them I don;t feel it is accurate to say either one "beats you up". Quite to the contrary acctually relative to many other tri bikes out there.

That said, remember that the frame has only a portion to say about the overall ride quality of a bike. If you put 18mm wide (narrow), 130 psi clinchers on (relatively)rigid, composite spoke wheels- Well yeah, you'll feel the bumps. Of course.

But put on a 22 or 23 mm wide clincher with a little more forgiving wheelset and only 115 psi (as opposed to 130psi) and boom- instant comfort, probably faster too.

Another variable is the new Cervelo carbon seatpost, which is likely to exert a small effect of the ride quality of each bike.

And finally, while the P2K is a very impressive effort at about $2000 complete, IMO it is worth the extra money for the P3. The P3's unique rear end exerts a fairly noticeable affect of handling, climbing and comfort as well as (I am told) aerodynamics. There are reasons why other bike compnaies are trying to copy the P3. It is a pretty good bike overall.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just go to cervelo.com to see the 2004 bikes.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Re: p2k/p3 ride quality [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Another variable is the new Cervelo carbon seatpost"

Tom,

are these available for upgrades yet? I have been trying to get one for almost a year now. Can I buy one from you?

I have also been waiting to get a Wolf fork for my P3. Do you have any word on when these will be availablle for upgrades?

Thanks.

Haim

-------------------------------------------------------
"Sometimes you need to think INSIDE the box!" -- ME
"Why squirrel hate me?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey KW,

1st, find a new LTS - fast!. You were given irresponsible advice. And, it's not just that I love my Cervelo (i've had many bikes including litespeed and softride). Comfort comes from position, tires, seat, etc...and then frame. my longest ride is 130+ miles (to my mother in law's) and I have many fitness issues, but never the 1st comfort issue. So, find a new LTS or go to someone like Tom D who knows what they are doing!

Good luck!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: p2k/p3 ride quality [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Actually, no complaints about my LTS guy, he's great. I just wondered if there's a ride difference between the 2 models, all things being equal (tires, pressure, etc.) Hoped someone had put mucho miles on both. Yeah, it's so individual....and in the end it's still the engine that counts.
Quote Reply
Re: p2k/p3 ride quality [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote: my longest ride is 130+ miles (to my mother in law's)

david, I just want to make sure I got this straight...have you even ridden 130+ miles before? Or, was it the destination that made it feel like the longest ride? ;)

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: p2k/p3 ride quality [yaquicarbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ha ha!

Yes, 130 miles is about my longest non stop ride (except fluid stops). Just in case you are asked, the destination is a goal that keeps me going!

BTW, since you are from NC, you might appreciate this ride from Winston-Salem to Roanoke Va by backroad.....at one point 4 hours with no stop light. My route is very hilly and absolutely beautiful!

Back to the subject, the Cervelo climbs great, decends great, and is comfortable. Certainly there are other great bikes, but the Cervelo in FANTASTIC!

-

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok. I have a P3 (2001), a P2 (1999) and a P2K (2001). The P3 has a stiffer ride than the P2K, but the P2 actually is stiffer than both, especially in the BB area. There's more material on that bike with the extra fin on the bottom. Anyway, I rode the P3 at GFT (2001 - IM distance race) with a few hills and never had a problem. The bike climbs well. I've never felt "beat up" on any of my Cervelo bikes. And I don't think I could tell the difference in the ride quality if blind-folded between the P2K and the P3, however. They are both excellent and rock solid.

Now, take this for what it's worth, but I am faster on the P2K (for some reason I have yet to figure out) than the P3. I have raced the same courses with both and I have done extensive A/B testing that confirms my results. Again, these are MY results. But to me, it just goes to show how close they are in speed. I'm here to tell you that for me, the P2K is faster. And yes, I'm talking the exact same setup on both bikes, including wheels, aerobars, saddle, etc. You'll be happy with the ride quality of either.

BTW, I'll be racing my P2K next season again.
Quote Reply