Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ouch!
Quote | Reply
Sorry this is a bit boring. I am new to distance running and currently training for my first marathon in april (aged 33).

Last weekend on my 16 mile run (longest yet) my knee decided enough was enough and started to hurt slowing me up but not stopping me. Since then I have been walking like an old man. The knee is slightly swollen, there is a platella tap, and tenderness over the lateral border of the joint. It is also painful going up or downstairs and if i extend the knee when sitting.

Is this serious. will i have to stop training for a prolonged period. Can anyone tell what is going on?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: ouch! [ju] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could be chondromalacia. Check out http://veggie.org/.../#signs-and-symptoms.

I had it a couple of years ago, trained through it, and ended up not running for over 6 months. I would suggest you back off for a week, then start back easy, and end your runs as soon as it starts to hurt.

The other big thing I did was change the make/mode of my shoes. Check out the Runners World web site for information on what type of shoe you should be running in. Then bring your old shoes in to a GOOD running store, tell them your problems, and see what they suggest.

Take care of it now, rest the knee, and you will hopefully be good to go for your Marathon.

Good Luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lot of things could be wrong... but, for some reason I don't believe this just showed up... you probably had some symptoms simular to this problem but shrugged them off and continued. If not, then you definitely went too far.

The first thing to do is stop... that's is definitely harder to do than I make it seem (that's the reason it's called excessive compulsive behavior). It's time to get an evaluation and begin a recovery phase. Unfortunately, that recovery phase can take much longer than you anticipate. There is no set time limit for recovery... your body defines that period of recovery. I constantly see suggestions that recommend stopping for a few days to a few months... fact is, I don't know how long it will take. For one thing, no one knows what kind of or level of damage that has occurred.

The key is to - stop... get a doctor to determine the degree of damage... and then begin the recovery phase - that can be any length of time from a few days to years. The good news is that if you stop and recover the problem is solvable... continue (or start back too early) and ... wham! your back in the "injury saddle" again (if not permanently).

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go see a doctor who knows about running and knees. It could be any number of things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't panic. This MAY be a simple problem. Your quads attach to tendons that cross your knee and then insert to the bones below. It is very common to have spasms in your quads (you can't even feel) cause pretty intense knee pain, and swelling.

Julie Donnelly has been working with runners for over 15 years, and is also the author of "The Pain-Free Triathlete". I strongly recommend you take advantage of her expertise, before seeing your doctor. I advocate having as much information as one can, before going to the doc. Post your question on her discussion forum. She seems to find time to answer every one. There are also many posts on the subject by other runners and triathletes there.

www.julstro.com/18.html
Quote Reply