Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [Louie Cayedito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Louie Cayedito wrote:
I don't understand why people get so up in arms about a request that they modify their vocabulary.

I will always have the right to use these terms, and there's a good chance I will continue to do so. But, knowing that you find them disturbing means that someone else might as well, so I might choose a different word next time.

I don't get why it's such a big deal. It's really not hard to accommodate these kinds of wishes but it is hard to propose them so I wish people would give you a little more respect.

Because of what the terms are is why everyone is giving him grief. When the ban on “retard” was implemented, most people I believe understood. I have used the word before, I’m not sure on here, and I’m about as far from PC that you get, but I understood the reasoning.

Crack pipe on the other hand isn’t an offensive term by itself. We’re not talking down on other crack pipes. It’s a term for a piece of equipment. The fact that someone would take that to be offensive due to the fact that they have associated a term that is not being used in a particular way and then associate it with a drug epidemic is what has caused people to dog pile on this(yes I know offensive to dogs in piles).

If I said to not use the term warthog, because Its the name of a plane and reminds me of all the people who have died due to the plane’s awesome ability. It would be equally absurd.

It’s the whole snowflake issue that has been talked about for the past few years. People determine something is offensive because of what they associate the term with and therefore they are mad about it. No one can fix what you want to associate a term with, even if it is in not actually what the term means in the context of what it is used for.
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
'Pretty broad brush ' might get feminists on a war path
Last edited by: lacticturkey: Feb 13, 18 6:14
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No-one is diminishing the crack epidemic. Hell, I know people whose lives have been ruined by various forms of substance abuse, and it isn't pretty. Some have managed to recover, others I haven't heard from in years. So I can empathize with you.

Part of the issue here is that you left the OP pretty open ended, like it isn't just these 2 terms that you find offensive, there are lots of others to be disclosed at a later date. BUT, when you leave the OP so open ended, it's like you not only want people to change their use of these particular phrases, but lots of others that are in the common vernacular, and as such people are going to push back. It's what people do when told to change something that isn't perceived as harming anyone, and no better alternative is given.

And yes, whether you realize it or not, you were actually telling people to stop speaking a certain way, even if you are saying that someone should "think about it". Saying "i find something offensive, think about not offending me" isn't really a request to "think about not offending" It is a request to stop.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
'Pretty broad brush ' might get feminists on a war path

"War path" is racist

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
That's the subculture too.. some of yall don't know that. I don't blame you for that.
First off, you should know we're all just 'taking the piss" with you (having a good laugh). Which is an expression that may offend sufferers of frequent nighttime urination..

But to your point, how 'bout when Omarosa exited the White House, and in response Robin Roberts said "bye, Felicia"?
That blew up social media -- but I had to google it 'cause I'd never heard it. And from what I understand, it's a 'dis, a line from a movie where the lead actor (Ice Cube) repeatedly blows off a bothersome crackhead neighbor (Felicia) by saying, "bye, Felicia".

So...what R.Roberts was really saying on national TV was that Omarosa was akin to Felicia.. "see you later, crackhead". Big 'dis. Oh, snap.

If I'm getting that right (disclosure: I'm white), you're saying the scourge of crack on the urban community is so painful that nobody on should say crackpipe. But an African-American news personality says "bye, Felicia" on national TV, and it's all good??

Not trying to be ignorant here -- honestly asking.
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It might make some feminists testy?
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
[plumbers are already in an uproar about "plumber's crack", no need to contact them.
Most enlightened tradesmen are now using the culture-neutral term "ass cleavage"

This thread is the gift that keeps giving.
And that Shiv Patel gif is pure gold!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's Babu from Seinfeld, but thanks

Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
...curious about the term found offensive by the irish person?

'Shamrock Shake*'
(*Originally refers to a banned sex act involving a gerbil, pancake spatula, and stick of Kerry's Irish Gold butter.))
We'll just leave it at that.
Last edited by: spookini: Feb 13, 18 6:56
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
If I said to not use the term warthog, because Its the name of a plane and reminds me of all the people who have died due to the plane’s awesome ability. It would be equally absurd.

I agree that it would seem absurd, and I also was also surprised by him feeling disturbed by the term 'crack pipe'. However, my understanding of the situation is not requisite in order for me to respect his wishes on the matter.

I'm not saying that everyone MUST listen to him, and I'm not sure that my usage of these terms is going to change either. However, it is his right to bring it up if it is affecting him and there's no reason why we shouldn't respect him for that. Our understanding of the situation or whether or not the majority will deem it rational is irrelevant in the way that he feels.

Instead of calling everyone who shows vulnerability a snowflake I think we could all try a little compassion.
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [dhr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dhr wrote:
Who knew that asking people to be more considerate and intentional would bring out so many insecurities?

You should know. It is generally how humans react when their group is threatened.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be fair to this forum - Usually on the internet when the pack smells blood and circles its prey it's done with far less articulacy and humour.

You all owe my boss about 50% of my day's pay though as i've managed bugger all else but read this today. Apologies for the use of the word "bugger" to all those who.... Whoops
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
dhrt wrote:
...so many insecurities?

While I don't doubt that some ST'ers may harbor some insecurities, it seems like you're painting with a pretty broad brush*.
(* I realize this is a colloquialism which may be offensive or hurtful to overweight watercolor artists. My apologies in advance.)

Given the amount of replies you've posted in this thread, nah.
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
dhr wrote:
Who knew that asking people to be more considerate and intentional would bring out so many insecurities?

You should know. It is generally how humans react when their group is threatened.
What group was threatened?
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
It’s the whole snowflake issue that has been talked about for the past few years. People determine something is offensive because of what they associate the term with and therefore they are mad about it. No one can fix what you want to associate a term with, even if it is in not actually what the term means in the context of what it is used for.

Dude, get some perspective. One person pointed out some words he found problematic on here and we have 7 pages of overly sensitive man-children up in arms about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dhr wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:

Dude, get some perspective. One person pointed out some words he found problematic on here and we have 7 pages of overly sensitive man-children up in arms about it.

Not up in arms. Mostly mocking his outrage over fairly benign terms.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
dhr wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:

everyone should listen to BLeP. If anyone should be in a constant state of butthurt, it's BLeP. And yet, we hear no complaints.

;-)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Feb 13, 18 7:31
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
dhr wrote:
7 pages of overly sensitive man-children up in arms about it.

Is "Up in Arms" offensive to anti-gun people, pro-gun people, or people with arm or leg disabilities?

I'm not sure, butt it's probably someone

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
BLeP wrote:
dhr wrote:

Is "Up in Arms" offensive to anti-gun people, pro-gun people, or people with arm or leg disabilities?

I am not saying that it's offensive or that you shouldn't say it, just think about the origins.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
BLeP wrote:
dhr wrote:

You said Butt....hahahah!!

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dhr wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:
The OP was overly sensitive.
The rest of us are just having a laugh and shitting our pants a bit.
(No offense to OP of the 'shit my pants' thread.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

'Shamrock Shake*'
(*Originally refers to a banned sex act involving a gerbil, pancake spatula, and stick of Kerry's Irish Gold butter.))

I thought that was called the Second Gere.
Quote Reply
Re: offensive terms thrown around here [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
spookini wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

'Shamrock Shake*'

I thought that was called the Second Gere.

Yep, a Kerry Penacoli + a stick shift = Second Gere

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't wait to see what your response will be if ISM releases their new generation of saddles: The Moose Knuckle, Camel Toe, and Split Tail
Quote Reply

Prev Next