Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

obligatory time-out in training
Quote | Reply
hi guys,

first: some background
I am a young fool who has taken up triathlon by accident and has been smitten ever since (about one year now). I have always been a cyclist, but a knee injury about one year ago forced me off the bike and into the swimming pool. after a few weeks i actually began to have fun in swimming (which a previously hated) because i was getting good at it.
Fast forward a few months: by now I wasn't half bad at swimming and still had a reasonable base in cycling so i thought, why not try a (sprint) tri!
Been in love ever since, but those short distances have never allowed me to perform to the fullest: i can't go much faster, but i'm rarely exhausted after an oly. (was registered for a half but due to some personal trouble had to cancel :( )
So the plan grew to take on the big one :D

however there is one major problem: work. If I want to do a full distance, this year is somewhat the last chance for the next 6 or 7 years because I will have a 4 month break in training every year (navy). That is simply too long for me to wait.
Thus: this will be the year (not ideal, I know...), but there is yet another obstacle (sigh). Giving myself the most time I can, I am thinking about trying the Ironman Vichy in late august 2016.
Normally I would be confident I can make that deadline and maybe even perform reasonably well, were it not that the entire month of July I will be on a ship with no running nor swimming possibilities and most likely no biking either. before that however, I have all the time I could possibly need to train.

By now you probably (and rightfully) think me a bit of crazy person, as most would say: wait, but if there is a way, I really want to try.

So:
1 Do you think this is doable? (i know i'll eventually have decide myself, just want too hear how others look at this:) )
2 Any suggestions on how not to lose all that hard-earned fitness will on that ship (TRX or....??)
3 All other suggestions/critiques/... are welcome of course

P.S.
swimming and biking are already going great, FTP is at 290 (75 kg) and a 1000m swim takes me about 15 minutes with breath to spare (haven't swum much longer in one go lately, it gets kinda boring^^) running however is nearly back to zero now due to a plica problem.
Quote Reply
Re: obligatory time-out in training [babs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the ship you are on so small that there is no treadmill?
Quote Reply
Re: obligatory time-out in training [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, it's a minehunter :p
Quote Reply
Re: obligatory time-out in training [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A jump-rope takes up little space in luggage if there is anywhere you can use it... If there's an exercise bike, I think you can do it. (The long rides are the one crucial thing, I think you can finagle the swimming and running if your main goal is to finish with no permanent damage.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea i came off the couch and did my first im well in 11 months
Quote Reply
Re: obligatory time-out in training [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
holy moly, from 0 to IM in 11 months? no prior (endurance) sports history? respect my man

and that jump rope just may be a good idea, hadn't thought of that, thx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No but I like to train my brains out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not optimal but probably doable. Why not just sign up for the IM in Nice on June 5th assuming you have get the running issues sorted out. Austria also has special entries that seem to require you staying 3 days with a certain company. Not sure what that would cost but it would buy you an additional 3 weeks in June.
Quote Reply
Re: obligatory time-out in training [Devlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've thought about Nice, thing is I've got exams then, so taking a couple of days off to focus on IM may not be possible as it usually isn't until May that we get our exam schedule (training wise however, exams are the absolute walhalla :D )
for those wondering, I'm aged 25 and still "studying"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
babs wrote:
yeah, it's a minehunter :p

So, not sure which Navy you're in, but we (US Navy) don't have any minehunters (MHC) anymore....they were all decommissioned in 2006-2007. If you're with one of the countries that we either sold them to or have their own model, then yea, they suck for PT. If you're going to a US minesweeper (MCM), there's some opportunity to train on bike and run. You can store a bike and a trainer in a fan room and bust it out when you want to get a work out and schedule permits. Some MCMs used to have a treadmill or two available topside, but it was hit or miss from ship to ship. Bottom line, it'll suck, but you can still train minus swimming...and probably should to keep your sanity while living the life of a divo on a minesweep.
Last edited by: demolizione: Dec 26, 15 18:37
Quote Reply
Re: obligatory time-out in training [demolizione] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a flower class minehunter and sometimes they do indeed allow someone to take a bike or trainer along, however that's a privilege for the regular crew of the ship, so not applicable to me as a student.
So something small like a skipping rope or suspension trainer or... is the only way.

p.s. bizarre that you have minesweepers and not hunters, normally hunters replace the sweepers, as hunting is way safer than sweeping, but that's off topic :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
small update:

raced a 70.3 last week in 5hours 50seconds.
swim was not very good: 33 mins, was aiming for 30 max, a lot of "washing machine" the first 1000m which couldn't get away from.

bike was fair but I went easy because I was a little afraid of the run: 2:32, should have pushed harder in hindsight (bike is by far my strongest of the three).

run was a mixed bag: 1:50, first 10K went very good, never ran better out of T2, was on track for a 1h35 time when the left knee developed an irritated tractus iliotibialis (that's what they told me at least :p ): running speed was gone as of then.

result was that I really wasn't tired after the race, but I had 10 times the fun I have during an oly so i'm extremely motivated to go full now :D

just wanted to put this out there :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, I did a full last sunday, thought i briefly share my experiences :)

iI was a no wetsuit swim in Vichy, so that freaked me out slightly... ended up with 1:17 after having swum really conservatively, I felt well going to the bike.
The bike started out well (lots of potholes in the first 30K or so though), but after about an hour or so on the bike, i started having pains in my lower back and glutes. Turns out my saddle was dropping :o

As I did not have a key with me to fix the problem, I had to revert to the fixing material they had in the aid stations. In the end, i rode for an hour with my saddle 10cm too low. The last part of the first of two laps I made things even worse by stupidly trying to make up for lost time. the last 60K were a struggle for survival, the bonk was very real. Bike split: 5:35, not good, but not catastrophic either.

Mentally, things weren't great going into the run: my legs were cramping, stomach had shut its doors and was beginning to send stuff back up, lower back completely locked up, I kept myself going thinking "a bad time is better than no time at all". The run was pure torture, did not go well at all, had to walk quite regularly for the muscle cramps and to appease the stomach.

Total time: 12:42.
you could say not bad for a first, but I was really hoping and gunning for sub 12, so although happy i did finish it (I had my doubts when I bonked on the bike), I can't help but be disappointed.

so, lots of room for improvement, on to the next one!
Quote Reply