Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

my long ride (IM Training)
Quote | Reply
Hey, after completing my 6th half distance triathlon last year, I decided to sign up for my first Ironman in Hamburg, Germany on July 29th.

I have been training with a coach for the past year and I fully trust him in the design of my training weeks, but I have a question for the folks out here regarding the long ride. In many places I have read that people do multiple 100mi rides or rides of similar distance in order to train and adapt for the 180k of the Ironman, others say you have to ride 5-6 hours multiple times. In my case, I live in Quito, Ecuador (2850m above sea level) and all of my rides end up being very hilly, last weekend for example I went out for a 4h ride and ended up with almost 100k but also almost 2000m accumulated altitude. How would you design my long ride progression, taking into account the altitude and terrain I live in. I was thinking about doing a monthly long ride on my trainer in order to get some more steady work in.

Thnks and have a great weekend!!

Love the Pain!

Quito-Ecuador
Quote Reply
Re: my long ride (IM Training) [mpo_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you've answered your own question.

Do it by time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A long 4h ride on a trainer is boring.
Combine a 2h ride outside (where you shift back on your lightest gear in climbs, to not get into intensity levels generally not done in long rides) with a 2h ride straight after that on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mpo_tri wrote:
Hey, after completing my 6th half distance triathlon last year, I decided to sign up for my first Ironman in Hamburg, Germany on July 29th.

I have been training with a coach for the past year and I fully trust him in the design of my training weeks, but I have a question for the folks out here regarding the long ride. In many places I have read that people do multiple 100mi rides or rides of similar distance in order to train and adapt for the 180k of the Ironman, others say you have to ride 5-6 hours multiple times. In my case, I live in Quito, Ecuador (2850m above sea level) and all of my rides end up being very hilly, last weekend for example I went out for a 4h ride and ended up with almost 100k but also almost 2000m accumulated altitude. How would you design my long ride progression, taking into account the altitude and terrain I live in. I was thinking about doing a monthly long ride on my trainer in order to get some more steady work in.

Thnks and have a great weekend!!

Some ideas. In a (subjective) order of effectiveness:
  • Find a power file for your smart trainer that mimicks the bike course. Ride the course
  • Ride your trainer for the amount of time you think you will be on the course (could use best bike split to estimate the time). If you ride below race pace, you'll need to ride a bit longer.
  • Ride outdoors for the amount of time you think you will be on the course. If you ride below race pace, you'll need to ride a bit longer.

I live in a hilly area and did my long rides on the trainer before Ironman Florida. It was not enjoyable at all, but it was very effective. Further out from the race I would suggest just riding outdoors for the appropriate amount of time, and as the race gets closer ride the trainer so that you get used to not being able to coast as much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mpo_tri wrote:

I have been training with a coach for the past year and I fully trust him in the design of my training weeks, but I have a question for the folks out here regarding the long ride.

Why not pose the question to your coach? If you're paying this person and trust him/her, then they should be able to structure the progression of your long rides given the terrain you have available to train on as well as the demands of the race you're focusing on.
Quote Reply
Re: my long ride (IM Training) [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just asking for opinions.

Love the Pain!

Quito-Ecuador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done it both by time (5-6 hour rides) and by distance (100-120 mi rides) and found that it was better to do one or two long rides by distance earlier in the training, then limit it to time for subsequent long rides. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the weather's nice, I'd choose hills any day over a long boring trainer rides - the variety will keep it fun!
Quote Reply
Re: my long ride (IM Training) [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tuckandgo wrote:
I think you've answered your own question.

Do it by time.

Sorry - should have expanded - just keep the efforts low on the hills i.e. ride up the hills slowly.
Go for a 4 hour ride and enjoy it.
Quote Reply