Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
multiple Ironman people vs one and done
Quote | Reply
What are your reasons for being a one and done or a multiple ironman.

Just wondering why some do more and some do one

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: multiple Ironman people vs one and done [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did a full in 07. I wanted to do a full before I was 30. After that I got lazy and didn't do much. A few years ago came down with type 1 diabetes and have since done a couple 70.3 and oly....looking back I cannot imagine putting that kind of time (for a full) in now. Maybe again after kids are older
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going into my seventh IM next week at Canada. I like to do one full IM and one or two halfs each year because having a daunting goal keeps me focused on quality and consistent training in a way that doing a lot of marathons did not.

I enjoy the bike and run training, and kind of tolerate the swim. I feel like I have a lot of room to improve all three sports, and I'm excited about aging up to a smaller group of competitors next year.

All those reasons keep me coming back.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've toed the IM line 10 times, and finished 7 times. Having an IM on the calendar gives me motivation to get out and train harder than I would otherwise. It's a challenge that I relish and keep trying to improve, despite getting well into middle age. That being said, I also need breaks when training is no longer fun and seems like a job I don't particularly want to do; I"m not signed up for one this year, and probably won't sign up for one in 2018 either. I do think I'll be ready to get back at it in 2019, though.

Quote | Reply
For my first IM I spent two years building up my base so it seemed like a waste to just do one. I did 2 more back to back the following year, riding off that initial base I created. It was a big time commitment for me so I haven't done any recently. If I build back up to that distance I'd do multiple ones in a row again. I honestly don't understand people who only do one Ironman after spending all that time training, unless it's an injury/monetary issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have completed 1 IM a year since 2004 at my "local" race IMWA. I also complete 1 70.3 at the same location a year.

I enjoy the training lifestyle and feeling fit. Most of my friends are involved in long distance tri now. I really enjoy the days before and after the race catching up with everyone.

I train to complete, not compete. I suspect that if I trained to compete I would be injured and burnt out by now.

As long as my health allows it and I enjoy the training, I plan to continue doing 1 full and 1 half a year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done one, which was a while ago now, I do plan to do more. I did one right before I got married. Since the. I've gotten married, had 2 kids, got 2 degrees, had knee surgery and hamstring tear. So not exactly sitting around.

Really the little kids and time are the constraints. Now that I'm (almost) done with school I feel I have a lot more time. Will probably do another IM next year or year after. I think every other or every 3 would be a max for me though.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been doing one or more a year since 2004. I think having one a year on the calendar is a fun way to stay in shape for the rest of your life. No overthinking and no fad sports that come and go. And an ultra marathon trail run in the winter.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I gave myself and my family the gift of health. At age 42, I quit smoking and climbed off the couch. Lost 70 pounds. Rode my bike 100,000 miles. 9 IM and 26 HIM later and at age 63, I'm laying out the plan for 2019 and KQ (it gets easier in M65-69, ha!). Goal has always been to toe the line (legitimately, and at on own merit) at 70.3 WC (3 times) and Kona (not yet). The (not yet) is what keeps me going....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way way too much time commitment if one, imo, has any real value in being a family person. And one usually gets to race so few races.

I may end up racing like 20 races this year or more, never needed a long swim, bike or run, and am home after lunch to still have a life.
And my wife goes to me at all my races and helps since we are not there for that many hours.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: multiple Ironman people vs one and done [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Way way too much time commitment if one, imo, has any real value in being a family person. And one usually gets to race so few races.

I may end up racing like 20 races this year or more, never needed a long swim, bike or run, and am home after lunch to still have a life.
And my wife goes to me at all my races and helps since we are not there for that many hours.

What question are you answering???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going on #4 this fall - training is my therapy and racing (using the term loosely) satisfies my goal oriented personality after most major life goals are accomplished - I think it's called a midlife crises!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:
What are your reasons for being a one and done or a multiple ironman.

Just wondering why some do more and some do one

My plan was to coming from a cycling background train for two years learning how to swim and run, do one Ironman seeing how I went as what to me seemed the ultimate in endurance sport and say well that's as good as I can be and be done with what seemed like an unrealistic sport the the amount of training you would have to do as a lifestyle choice before I turned 40.

In the end I got caught up in the hype when Ironman Melbourne came about following my mate race in the inaugural year and I signed up for the following year. I got a coach and started to train doing two 70.3 races my first triathlons before competing at IM Melbourne. I didn't even know another triathlete in Melbourne when I raced so basically had no idea, blew myself apart on the bike and suffered the rest of the day. I was so disappointed in my result and knew there was more there so was driven to go around again. It seemed every Ironman measured themselves on qualifying for this Kona race so I decided that would be my goal. I found a new coach trained smarter and learnt my lessons from the year before and had a much better race albeit still disappointed but this time qualified for Kona. I went into Kona with great ambitions and I am sure like most Kona first timers was disappointed so was determined to get back. From what I set out to achieve from one IM has turned into an endless search to feel I can be the best i can be at the sport. Around and round the cycle goes...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Four total. I was probably thinking "one and done" when I did the 1st one with minimal training. After I finished that race, I thought "I could do better if I did more training!" I never did get very fast.

The time commitment for training is mainly what convinced me to stop. Then there was the requirement to take time off from work to travel to and from the race along with the days spent at the race. Throw in the entry fee, travel, and other monetary costs associated with doing an IM.

I stiil do a 70.3 every year along with a few sprints and olys. Keeps me in shape and I'm actually competing vs completing.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: multiple Ironman people vs one and done [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharonMcN wrote:
I'm going into my seventh IM next week at Canada. I like to do one full IM and one or two halfs each year because having a daunting goal keeps me focused on quality and consistent training in a way that doing a lot of marathons did not.

I enjoy the bike and run training, and kind of tolerate the swim. I feel like I have a lot of room to improve all three sports, and I'm excited about aging up to a smaller group of competitors next year.

All those reasons keep me coming back.

Your post sums up exactly hoe i think about it too.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: multiple Ironman people vs one and done [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did a full in my first season (2014), haven't done another one since, I probably will do another at some point, but I didn't enjoy the training and didn't enjoy the race. Plus I have a few 70.3 goals I want to achieve, so will focus on those for the time being.
Quote Reply
Re: multiple Ironman people vs one and done [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doing my first this year.
Seeing myself do another one next year aswell, after that im not really sure. Reasons for maybe not wanting to do more that those 2 (or maybe a 3rd):

1) The commitment, i love to train but, it also stands in the way of other stuff. Partying, staying up late etc.
2) If i was to have kids i see no way at all to combine the 2, i feel pressured for time atm
3) Wanting to focus on other aspects of life too. Career, family, FRIENDS. WHen you leave work at five train till 1830 get a shower and then food the time to see friends etc is very minor.
4) Travelling, this i guess you could plan your way out of eg. hard to go on a 3 weeks/month summer vacation and travel the world if you have an august IM.

But in general i think it is the time commitment or that you just do it to prove you can and then move on. I know some people get up at 5 in the morning to train or train at 20:00 after kids have gone to bed, but for me that is NOT quality of life it is just pushing too much into a schedule.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Multiple IM's make a good excuse for a trip abroad.
Me: "Where do you fancy going on holiday next year?"
Her: "Switzerland looks nice"
Me: <Googles IM Zurich date and weather reports> ..."how about at the end of July?"

I then spend way too much money on equipment and train just enough that I don't embarrass myself (finish without soiling myself)

Dont complain about the results you did n't get from the training you did n't do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I retired from IM and triathlon after 9 IM's, about 15 halfs, and countless shorter races. I enjoyed it while I was at it but eventually it became harder and harder to deal with the time constraints. That combined with it grew less interstesting over time (i.e. a "been there, done that" feeling).

Now I run 6 days a week year round and ride maybe once most of the year. I do a summer bike trip with friends (just back from Austria) so add in a bit more biking for 6-8 weeks beforehand it then it's back to once a week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I prefer training and racing short course races, but I wanted to push myself to train for an IM. I've done 2 (or, 1 2/3...my second was the 2014 IM Florida cancelled swim). I did 2012 IMMT as it had been my goal since I got into the sport to complete an IM, and after training/racing for 1, although I enjoyed it, I preferred the convenience of sprint racing. Ontario has 2 really good triathlon companies that have a great selection of sprint distance races that, surprisingly, have really good competition in them (not just newby triathletes where anyone can podium in their AG). Training for an IM made me much better at Sprint racing because it made me smarter about my training, racing, and physical capabilities.
Quote Reply
Re: multiple Ironman people vs one and done [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is my race schedule every year - 1 or 2 HIM and 1 full IM. I will do my 10th this year. Initially I was going to be one and done. But 8 weeks before my first IM, I was injured. I did the race with the injury (there was no risk of making it worse) and finished. I signed up the next day after the race for the following year because I wanted to do one healthy....I had a great race the second time and I was hooked.

Since then, I've completed 9 Ironman's, 1 in Kona, numerous half IM's, 1 world championship in Las Vegas, 2 national championships and I have no intention of quitting any time soon. I'm not as fast as I used to be because I bought a business and that takes up most of my training time and then some. I age up next year, so I'm going to set my sights on another KQ. Until then, I race because I love the sport, the people I've met and become good friends with, the race-cations, the challenges of each race and I race because I have to have a goal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
27 IMs so far . . . it is just a lifestyle. And, a healthy fitness example for my kids and community too. Unlike others, I really don't see training as *that* big of time commitment or interference with other aspects of life.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did one in 2015 because friend with whom I had done half and other tris encouraged me to do. He also had a cottage 30 min from race site so it was easy logistics wise. Otherwise a big time commitment but I hope to do one more because my time in first one was a disappointment.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so far I am 10 for 10 in IRONMAN races. Got two this year ( Wisconsin & Florida ) and that
puts at the 11 race mark.......need that 12 for Kona Legacy. Last year did 3 in 12 months
to get me closer to that KL shot and 2 this year. Crazy for run at this.

Suxs.....the first race does not count but I am OK with that.

What keeps me going is the potential of racing Kona. Started as a dream 27 years ago
and now I am close to touching it. Going to cash in some retirement $$$ and fly the family
out to Hawaii for 2 weeks. It will cost me a fortune but you live once, so live it up.

27 years in the sport and also like giving back when and where I can and that has been
a lot of fun.Volunteered at 3 IM races, 3 years as USAT regional President, 6 years as
an USAT Official and now back officiating again.

Not done yet.
Quote Reply
Re: multiple Ironman people vs one and done [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

That's a load of crap. It's entirely possible to train for an IM and still spend a lot of one's time with one's family. Just because you can't see a way to do it doesn't mean it can't be done.

Prev Next