Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

midsole cleat position
Quote | Reply
I've seen this cleat position around a lot (durian rider and more professionally Daniela Ryf).

Has anyone got facts/figures about how it is beneficial?

I can imagine toe overlap with front wheel can become a bit of a pain..but if it makes you run faster and less painful off the bike I think we can all agree it's the best thing since the week in pictures post.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: midsole cleat position [thebuzzle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Google Steve Hogg bike fitting, I recall he may have covered it in one of his articles.
Quote Reply
Re: midsole cleat position [nickag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joe Friel advocates it in his blog, too.

i'm trying to try it, but getting the cleat interface right has been a hassle. Attempted to use Speedplay's conversion plate w/ my three-bolt shoes and it was a big fail, screws wouldn't hold securely. You might have better luck with drilling two-bolt cleats farther aft, which he recommends.
Quote Reply
Re: midsole cleat position [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really? Did you use blue loctite? I've had mine for over a year with zero issues and I know many others have been using theirs issue-free for years.

To the OP, if you want to approximate mid-foot, the new Shimano shoes have the cleat holes fairly far back to begin with and you can move them a few mils farther back still. Push your cleats as far back as they'll go and you'll get pretty close to mid-foot.
Quote Reply
Re: midsole cleat position [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I spent an hour on it and then had my LBS mechanic try, with no luck. The screws that came with the kit were not long enough. If speed play makes longer screws that may be the answer.

Are the new Shimano shoes you're talking about 4 bolt or 3 bolt?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 bolt. I have a pair of R-171s in black in 44 "wide" and they're awesome :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
Joe Friel advocates it in his blog, too.

i'm trying to try it, but getting the cleat interface right has been a hassle. Attempted to use Speedplay's conversion plate w/ my three-bolt shoes and it was a big fail, screws wouldn't hold securely. You might have better luck with drilling two-bolt cleats farther aft, which he recommends.

I've been riding the Speedplay conversion plates mounted on Bont 3 bolt shoes for a couple of years with absolutely no problems. I did mount using loctite as I've seen the Speedplay screws back out without it.

YMMV,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: midsole cleat position [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks just had a look . . . on sale in my size and that's always dangerous :>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are Shimano's the only ones doing this? From the pic it doesn't look that far back (it's as close as I've seen in a normal road shoe)...are there any other manufacturers doing this?
Last edited by: EnderWiggan: Apr 2, 15 7:20
Quote Reply
Re: midsole cleat position [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm the wrong person to ask -- maybe somebody else knows?

I wouldn't be surprised to see a shoemaker responding in the near future -- seems like a small but keen market is out there already.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have all my road/tri shoes set up with the Speedplay extender plate. Love the midsole position. Much easier on my knees and makes me feel like I have more power. (Don't think I actually have more power but it just feels better).

I've never had any problem with the toe overlap thing that I can recall
Quote Reply
Re: midsole cleat position [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take a look at the pic below (R171). You can move the mounting holes to the back of the slots and then rack your cleats all the way back. If you're using SPD-SL cleats the axle will fall over the back edge of those slots. It's not a true "mid-foot" by any means but it's as far back as I've found on any stock shoe. Edit: just looked at my shoes. Axle falls over the where you see the mounting holes/white lines in the pic below. Sorry. Still pretty far back.

Last edited by: GreenPlease: Apr 2, 15 9:24
Quote Reply