Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

metabolic efficiency training Book
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Anyone here read it? I don't really know anything about it..but considering intermittent fasting and was wondering if the book discusses this in length?
Or what the main gist of the book is..
Quote Reply
Re: metabolic efficiency training Book [dannyweissphoto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No discussion on fasting from what I remember. The book basically recommends a diet periodization based on the volume and intensity of your training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a couple of really good threads on ST in regards to metabolic efficiency.
before you buy the book you should read the threads. might save you some $

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: metabolic efficiency training Book [dtaylor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 What is your goal with Intermittent Fasting (IF)? I can only assume weight loss, which can be effective. Only because it results in net calorie decrease per day, or per week, etc which yes will help you lose weight. If you are training for performance at the same time, you will also go into workouts under - fueled and will not recover as well. Therefore, only attempt in the part of the season FURTHEST from competition, like right after your break from training at the end of competition season.

In a nutshell: IF results in decrease caloric intake because you eat less in that shorter frame of time. HOWEVER, it will not make you "switch to fat burning" or ketogenic state (unless certain conditions, I will expand). You will consume less calories, and if the right foods are consumed when you are eating, you will lose "weight". Fat? Muscle? Water weight? A bit of each.

Fat - you are always burning fat, and IF less than 24 hours will not influence it (unless completely carb depleted). Example, do a short intense workout in the evening, go to bed, get up, do a fasted workout in aerobic zone (sub AT1, no lactate level above 1Mmol/L, for most people 25-30 beats below AT2), why not above? Because the production of additional lactate goes hand in hand with using glycogen as few, so your AT2 gets a new definition in a fasted workout! At some point before or in this workout, you deplete almost all stored glycogen, and your body will use fat as a preferred energy source for brain and muscle energy production.

The same happens when you fast for 36 hours (anything more than 24). Basically in the first 24 your body will use your stored glycogen, then there will be a brief period of protein breakdown as fuel, eventually the body is smart enough not to eat "too much muscle" and switches to fat as preferred source. The above method, would have the same effect but less time hungry, minimal if any muscle loss (considering adequate protein intake post Fasted workout).

Carb - body stores up to 4x as much water per g carb, so in a 12 hour fast you could lose considerable amount of weight by utilizing stored glycogen and its associated water. Which you will gain back during your eating periods.

Muscle - mentioned above. Try not to fast too much longer than 24 hours.

Criticism of IF: some will say that your body supresses BMR to keep you alive, therefore the food you eat after a fast will be "stored" immediately when eaten, as fat. This is only true of fasts lasting longer than 72 hours, so don't worry. You will not fast and "pack it back on", unless you do stupidly long fasts. You could run a half dozen marathons before this time, effectively burning many lbs of fat. Of course will power is the limiter here, which is why no one does it (or have they?).

I wouldn't recommend IF if you are an athlete training with the goal of improved performance. Maybe read Matt Fitz' racing weight, smarten up your diet, and do a fasted workout which I mentioned above.

Note I am not a nutritionist or doctor and offer this as one guy to another! The explanations aren't perfect, or even 100% correct because I tried to simplify it. I assume some people have extensive ex. phys. knowledge, but I am posting this for those who don't so save the smart ass comments for yourself. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: metabolic efficiency training Book [NewfieBullet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, my goal is to lose weight. I am at that point now..in the off-season and farthest from competition.
As I understood it with very limited research, the idea would not to eat after dinner, get up in the AM and do a slowish ride or run, Aerobic, Zone 2 type stuff. This
would "teach" my body to burn fat more efficiently.

I am 5'9 and around 185/190 whenI race. But at 25% body fat, I thought I had some to spare :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok cool! Well good luck, and I know you can achieve it, feel free to PM me with questions.

Basically, if you are good at being hungry, IF can work for you. However, running in a fasted state each morning may be just a constant metabolic torture, where you do not run long enough or fast long enough to deplete glycogen stores, thus not "teaching the body" (you could say that, but you are basically making it resort to the last, slowest to produce energy source - Fat). You basically force your body to use fat as fuel!

However, in my example, I mentioned doing a workout in the evening. This needs to be something that depletes glycogen, like weights or fast running intervals or hills or something. Don't go too hard, because remember the fast begins after that.

The next morning: Do a LONG workout, like a 90-120 min run, or a 2-3 hour ride. Why long? If your body is not already depleted of glycogen, at some point it will be, and the remainder of the workout after that is a "fat burning workout"!

You can probably only manage this once per week. Your method, could be done daily, but it would be torture.

Few tips:
- Weekly long fasted workout. start less (60 min) and build up weekly. If done right, and kept below 80% LThr, you will feel awesome.
- Read racing weight by matt fitzgerald. In this case, take the DQS and subtract points for Whole grains. Whole grains are actually making you fat, contrary to what we are told!!!
- Eat less throughout the day. How? Your probably hungry right? Food choice: educate yourself about Glycemic Index. Even if your not diabetic, high GI foods are whats making you fatter. Example: Eat Wheat, or Jelly beans -->Blood sugar spike ---> release of a lot of insulin ---> trigger hormones that say "hey guys we have so much glycogen we can store some for later!" ---> body stores TOO MUCH glycogen (as fat, yes, carbs without fiber in great amounts, that are not eaten to support a workout, can add to fat stores, a shocker- I know) keep following me ---> The insulin overshoots when theres a blood sugar spike ---> Packs away too many precious jelly beans as fat ---> 90 Min later you are starving again (low blood sugar), thus you eat more, and if its a high GI food (whole wheat one of the highest!), the cycle continues!!!
- Cont: Try to consume "slow carbs", so, foods that contain high amounts of fiber (soluble), in meals that also contain balanced amount of fat, and protein. These factors will reduce the GI of the meal, thus not resulting in a blood sugar spike and you stay happy and not hungry for many hours after your meal. Even after your stomache empties - if your doing it right, you will say "I could eat now", but not "I NEED SOME FREAKING FOOD OR IM GONNA DIIIIIIIIIIIIE"

Don't be hungry my friend, be smart.

Cheers mate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jon, thanks for the posts.
Quote Reply
Re: metabolic efficiency training Book [Sojourner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My pleasure, good luck! Post back with your progress!

Last tip: self monitoring. Weigh in each morning, which makes you accountable to your food habits the day before!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great posts-
I would just add that the second day, the workout really does need to be easy. I, personally, am okay with up to 1.3mmol/L of lactate, I think that below 1 is difficult for the majority of people to achieve. However, this is still probably easier than most are willing to go.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW, very little of what we eat as carbs gets turned into fat. Humans just really suck at it, even with "high GI, insulin spiking, sugary nastiness."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the recommendations..I guess I am stuck on 90/120 minute workout on nothing..seems to border on dangerous? I have no doubt it works in the short term, but from the outside, having never tried it, seems in the long term to be dangerous? But maybe I am totally wrong with long term ramifications?

I am willing to give it a try but a workout at night without any refueling and then waking up and doing it again long seems..intense.

How long do you do this for? every off season?

NewfieBullet wrote:
Ok cool! Well good luck, and I know you can achieve it, feel free to PM me with questions.

Basically, if you are good at being hungry, IF can work for you. However, running in a fasted state each morning may be just a constant metabolic torture, where you do not run long enough or fast long enough to deplete glycogen stores, thus not "teaching the body" (you could say that, but you are basically making it resort to the last, slowest to produce energy source - Fat). You basically force your body to use fat as fuel!

However, in my example, I mentioned doing a workout in the evening. This needs to be something that depletes glycogen, like weights or fast running intervals or hills or something. Don't go too hard, because remember the fast begins after that.

The next morning: Do a LONG workout, like a 90-120 min run, or a 2-3 hour ride. Why long? If your body is not already depleted of glycogen, at some point it will be, and the remainder of the workout after that is a "fat burning workout"!

You can probably only manage this once per week. Your method, could be done daily, but it would be torture.

Few tips:
- Weekly long fasted workout. start less (60 min) and build up weekly. If done right, and kept below 80% LThr, you will feel awesome.
- Read racing weight by matt fitzgerald. In this case, take the DQS and subtract points for Whole grains. Whole grains are actually making you fat, contrary to what we are told!!!
- Eat less throughout the day. How? Your probably hungry right? Food choice: educate yourself about Glycemic Index. Even if your not diabetic, high GI foods are whats making you fatter. Example: Eat Wheat, or Jelly beans -->Blood sugar spike ---> release of a lot of insulin ---> trigger hormones that say "hey guys we have so much glycogen we can store some for later!" ---> body stores TOO MUCH glycogen (as fat, yes, carbs without fiber in great amounts, that are not eaten to support a workout, can add to fat stores, a shocker- I know) keep following me ---> The insulin overshoots when theres a blood sugar spike ---> Packs away too many precious jelly beans as fat ---> 90 Min later you are starving again (low blood sugar), thus you eat more, and if its a high GI food (whole wheat one of the highest!), the cycle continues!!!
- Cont: Try to consume "slow carbs", so, foods that contain high amounts of fiber (soluble), in meals that also contain balanced amount of fat, and protein. These factors will reduce the GI of the meal, thus not resulting in a blood sugar spike and you stay happy and not hungry for many hours after your meal. Even after your stomache empties - if your doing it right, you will say "I could eat now", but not "I NEED SOME FREAKING FOOD OR IM GONNA DIIIIIIIIIIIIE"

Don't be hungry my friend, be smart.

Cheers mate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IF is not necessarily 24+ hours of fasting nor will it neccessarily result in a net calorie deficit. I incorporate IF in to my daily routine. I eat between an 8 hour span, from noon to 8 pm. I do make sure I eat plenty of calories and those calories are all high nutrient dense foods. From my personal experience, I have found it has worked wonders for my perfomance, hunger control and for balancing an ideal racing weight.

If you are scared of a long fast, I highly recommend trying a daily 16 hour fast to help lose weight and improve performance.
Quote Reply