Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

life expectancy of IMLOU
Quote | Reply
Does any one know how long the current contract between Louisville and Ironman lasts. Is 2014 the last year or are they contractually bound for additional years?
Quote Reply
Re: life expectancy of IMLOU [Pfalcon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The contract continues through the 2016 race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn't that race get something like 3,000 paticipants? If so, I imagine it will be around for a while.
Quote Reply
Re: life expectancy of IMLOU [cjbruin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will be around for a long time the way the city turns out for the race, and the money it brings to the community.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pfalcon wrote:
Does any one know how long the current contract between Louisville and Ironman lasts. Is 2014 the last year or are they contractually bound for additional years?
Just wondering what makes you ask? No big deal, just curious?
Quote Reply
Re: life expectancy of IMLOU [loutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps the OP feels that IMCHAT and IMMD have eliminated most of its target market? You know, the I-live-in-the-southeastern-part-of-the-country-and-love-doing-ironman-on-flat-hot-courses-with-river-swims market.
Quote Reply
Re: life expectancy of IMLOU [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sinkinswimmer wrote:
Perhaps the OP feels that IMCHAT and IMMD have eliminated most of its target market? You know, the I-live-in-the-southeastern-part-of-the-country-and-love-doing-ironman-on-flat-hot-courses-with-river-swims market.

IMCHAT and IMMD are a month later, are they really gonna be that hot?

I sure hope IMLOU sticks around awhile, one of the better races I have done...
Quote Reply
Re: life expectancy of IMLOU [TylerJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno. But they will probably be warmer than IMT, IMCDA, IMMT, and IMLP. But then again...who knows...climate change and all, right?

Snarkiness by me aside, I have never heard a bad thing about that race. Probably the most underrated race in the circuit from what I have heard from friends of have done it. I have been to Louisville a few times (just not to race) and think its a really cool town. They actually have a zip line tour in caverns,great bourbon near by, The Derby, and the Slugger HOF. Based on what I know of every venue in NA (and I have actually been to most for one reason or another), Louisville seems to be the one that a family would most enjoy while their loved one is out on the course. So I hope it lives on. But I hope every race lives on. I hate seeing any race die.
Quote Reply
Re: life expectancy of IMLOU [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope IMLOU is cold this year...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TylerJ wrote:

85 would be cold for IM Louisville!!!!

ETA: My perspective as a 2x Louisville finisher: Awesome race!!!!!! I hope it sticks around!!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Last edited by: japarker24: Apr 15, 14 19:04
Quote Reply
Re: life expectancy of IMLOU [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
TylerJ wrote:

85 would be cold for IM Louisville!!!!

ETA: My perspective as a 2x Louisville finisher: Awesome race!!!!!! I hope it sticks around!!

One of these years it's going to be 70...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
loutriguy wrote:
Pfalcon wrote:

Just wondering what makes you ask? No big deal, just curious?

I've asked similar questions in the past. One possible motivation is if the OP has IMLOU on their "really want to do" list and they're trying to determine how many more chances they're assured of having to do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not going anywhere anytime soon. I know the director of the race personally.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was 73 off the bike and into T2 in 2009. Low 60s at 7:00am. Practically chilly, though mere marathoners would abandon if a race were in the 70s. I also experienced the hell of 2008 and 2010: 94 out of T2.

Also, there is nothing flat about the bike course, except the first and last 11 miles. That's negated by the west wind along the river after a century ride over long and short rollers all day.

I'm the cheering section this year as my wife decided she'd see what all the fuss is about.
Quote Reply
Re: life expectancy of IMLOU [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
It was 73 off the bike and into T2 in 2009. Low 60s at 7:00am. Practically chilly, though mere marathoners would abandon if a race were in the 70s. I also experienced the hell of 2008 and 2010: 94 out of T2.

Also, there is nothing flat about the bike course, except the first and last 11 miles. That's negated by the west wind along the river after a century ride over long and short rollers all day.

I'm the cheering section this year as my wife decided she'd see what all the fuss is about.

2010 was my first year...

FML
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would have to assume the OP is asking because the race never sells out, at least I am pretty sure it never sells out. Ironman has abandoned other full Ironman races due to not selling out.
Quote Reply
Re: life expectancy of IMLOU [jsosinski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done 10 full IMs to date and Louisville remains one of my top three. Great town and great race. I believe it "scares" people because it's non-wetsuit, hot, and has a tough bike course (minimal drafting). If you've never done this one, please add it to your "must do" list.
Quote Reply
Re: life expectancy of IMLOU [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed completely. Did it in 2013 and loved it. It was my first time to Louisville and what a great area. While the bike course is tough, it is beautiful with the rollers through horse country and surrounding areas. I enjoyed the run course too going by the University and Churchill Downs. Overall awesome race venue and experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jsosinski wrote:
I would have to assume the OP is asking because the race never sells out, at least I am pretty sure it never sells out. Ironman has abandoned other full Ironman races due to not selling out.

The race stays open significantly longer than most IMs. However, I believe that they also have a greater number of entrants and more than enough to keep the race profitable.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While other IMs "sell out" with 2000-3000 paid entries, IM LOU hardly ever sells out with 3,000+ paid entrants every year.

jsosinski wrote:

Quote | Reply
Because the time trial start and the huge transition area allows for that. That course could hold 4,000 people I bet. The bike course never felt "too busy" with the exception of that quick out and back early on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jsosinski wrote:

Well...this is wrong...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TylerJ wrote:
jsosinski wrote:

Well...this is wrong...

They bail on races that don't sell out with numbers like 1000 or 1500 registrants. They don't bail on races that pull almost 3000 people.

Cabo is going to be the race that gets canned next.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: life expectancy of IMLOU [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:

Totally agree. If the move to October doesn't get it close to 1500 entrants next year that race is toast. I'm strongly considering it since I expect that will be the last opportunity.
Quote Reply
Re: life expectancy of IMLOU [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
TylerJ wrote:
jsosinski wrote:

Well...this is wrong...

They bail on races that don't sell out with numbers like 1000 or 1500 registrants. They don't bail on races that pull almost 3000 people.

They bail on races they "own" that don't get more than 1000 or 1500 registrants. These are mainly the US races. The races like IMCabo and IMCoz that are "licensed" to organizations like Tri Mexico (I think that is the name of the company), could potentially survive with lower numbers.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply