Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

lecture me on chain rings
Quote | Reply
here's the deal:

I procrastinated changing out my chain, and continued to ride a very stretched out chain until it gradually wore down both the cassette & Chain Rings. I currently have an S-works Crank w/ 53-39 rings with an 11-28 (10 speed) cassette. My LBS has informed me that Specialized is sold out until 2015 but they can get the 54/42. The other option is to go Sram TT rings for 53/39.

My next two races are Princeton 70.3 & IMAZ which have very flat bike profiles, so I'm not too concerned about running a 54/42 for those. However, splitting time between NYC/ and central NJ, I typically get a fair amount of climbing in during training b/c I'm a glutton for pain. Having a 42 could make the regular >10% grades I train on very challenging.

Should I "man up" and go 54-42 in the interim, and pick up the 53-39 later, or should I "slum it" and just pick up the SRAM TT rings, aesthetics be-damned?

Does anyone have experience making the jump? is there a training/ strength/ power boost that comes with going bigger?

Thoughts on being an Urban Triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: lecture me on chain rings [urbantriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The truth is your chainrings are probably still fine. Just change out your cassette and chain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I procrastinated changing out my chain,

Translation: I rarely lubed my chain

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of options in 53-39. Many are better than the Specialized rings. Praxis would be my first choice.

https://praxiscycles.com/.../standard-road-sets/

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Praxis as previous poster indicated. I put them on everything I have (SRAM) and shifting is great. I suggest sticking with 53x39 unless this is Tony Martin posting.
Quote Reply
Re: lecture me on chain rings [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was not as diligent with the cleaning and lube as I should have been. That said, I trust my mechanic & he pointed out that I am dulling & chipping the teeth of my rings. They all have to go.

Quote Reply
Re: lecture me on chain rings [JeffJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Praxis will be my next set of chainrings but I am on Compact so I am moving to mid compact set up and going with the 52/36 match to an 11/28 which will be amazing for me.
Quote Reply
Re: lecture me on chain rings [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love 52/36 and see no reason to ever have anything bigger. If anything change your cassette. I would investigate this option if it is one.
Quote Reply
Re: lecture me on chain rings [JeffJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't see any aero rings for Praxis.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a lot of hills where I live and the 54-42 was horrible. I switched to a 53-39 and it made a big difference. I think my cassette is a 12-27.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not very smart regarding aero stuff - but - I think any gains from an aero chain rings would be negligible. I believe one of the main advantages of SRAM aero ring is it's stiffness and the praxis rings are very stiff. If my SRAM aero ring wears on my TT bike I'm switching to a standard praxis. I would be more concerned about the aero ring for a 1k pursuit that goes down the .000 - but as I stated, I'm certainly not very knowledgeable regarding aero...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of this depends on what type of rider you are but in my experience almost every rider benefits from having a 54+ big chain ring (unless you are a particularly small athlete or very new and have little cycling strength) especially when you have a 11-28 which gives you a TON OF RANGE even with a 42. Yes, it will be a little more difficult going up bigger climbs but that will be some great high muscle tension training which will help your cycling tremendously.

I recently went from a 50 to a 55 and it is a totally different bike (for the better). I am able to spin up the long climbs in the Santa Monica mountains with my 42/28 combo while being able to hammer the flats. Also, in race situations you will almost never run out of gears downhill or in a tail wind situation (i.e. you can maintain your power and pass everyone running a compact slightly bigger ring).

The fear associated with bigger chain rings is overrated in my opinion. Go for at least the 54 but ideally the 55. You won't regret it.

Best of luck!

Team Every Man Jack / Purplepatch Fitness / Tower 26 / Felt Bicycles / http://ironhoya.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply