Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
laser eye surgery in Vancouver, BC
Quote | Reply
I've done a search, read a tonne of threads, and have done some research on my own.
I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger after watching it for ~15years.

Good people of Slowtwitch, who in Vancouver, BC do you recommend?

I've heard good things about Pacific Laser Eye Center
After calling the eye doc for my prescription, I discovered that they have their own laser eye center: IRIS

(I'm also interested in hearing who to stay the hell away from!)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: laser eye surgery in Vancouver, BC [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used Lasik on W. Georgia. The manager sits near us at Nucks games, so we see her and her family all the time - gots me a discounts I did ;-)... They were very good there. A few other friends have also used them and been happy. A good friend of mine used London Eye Centre, she loved them too.

You need to go in and meet with folks at a few places to get a feel for with whom you feel the most comfortable, who you trust. Take the time to understand the procedures too.

'Bout time dude!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just curious, what does it cost in Canada to have this done???

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: laser eye surgery in Vancouver, BC [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i live in ontario and the cost varies widely. the most experienced guy (i think he actually pioneered the procedure in canada) charges upwards of $4000 (canadian) for both eyes and lifetime follow-up.
the newer guys are significantly less money (as they obviously would need to be to attract any business).
my wife had hers done almost 10 years ago for $1000 (canadian), both eyes, including lifetime follow-up.

- The Who
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine was $2250 for both eyes, and my co paid for $2000 of it (they discontinued that benefit shortly thereafter)

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is new research coming out that shows the "failure" rate at closer to 5%....

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't help you there, but if you have a kidney stone, I just had some great people help me out at St. Paul's a couple of weeks ago. It was like a Mayo Clinic experience!
I've been waiting for some feedback on laser surgery as well but I am still reluctant to do it. I have many friends who have had the procedure done in Vancouver and Victoria and all the folks are relatively fine after many years.
I'd be interested to hear whether you get the surgery and who you use. It may be worth it for me to travel from northern Alberta to come down there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
just curious, what does it cost in Canada to have this done???

Cost is pretty much all over the map. We have the discount guys who'll do you for super cheap, and the guys who pioneered the procedure (in Canada) and have been doing it for over 20 years. While hate to pay more than I need to just as much as the next guy, my eyes aren't a place where I'm looking the get the best price bar none. :p This isn't exactly a commodity...

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: laser eye surgery in Vancouver, BC [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I used Lasik on W. Georgia. The manager sits near us at Nucks games, so we see her and her family all the time - gots me a discounts I did ;-)... They were very good there. A few other friends have also used them and been happy. A good friend of mine used London Eye Centre, she loved them too.

These guys? If I name drop, will she give me a bro deal? :p

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope. These guys.

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: laser eye surgery in Vancouver, BC [hank rearden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
There is new research coming out that shows the "failure" rate at closer to 5%....

i admit i don't know a whole lot about it, but as with all research you can't just make a blanket statement like that and call it gospel. you need to take a look at the study (in this case, hopefully the studies) to determine sample size, patient population, the surgeons used, other complicating factors, etc. etc. only then can you do your own critical assessment and get some insight into the validity of the findings.

not everyone is an ideal candidate for the procedure. the 5% failure rate could be people who weren't great candidates to begin with.

btw - i'm not attacking you or the stat you gave...just sayin'...

- The Who
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you getting LASIK or PRK?

I just had PRK done 3 weeks ago.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: laser eye surgery in Vancouver, BC [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Are you getting LASIK or PRK?

I figured I'd talk to a few docs and see what they recommend. I was kind of hoping for a consensus on THE clinic in Vancouver, but I should have known better than to hope for that on ST! :p

I guess I'll just have to visit a few of them and see what my gut tells me (remaining open to the idea that it might say to stay away entirely).

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My gut told me to back out a week before a scheduled lasik appt about 10 years ago. I finally got around to getting it done last year and my only regret is not getting it done sooner (you hear that a lot). It's so nice not having to deal with contacts / glasses for workouts, etc.
I think it's key to make sure you are an ideal candidate for the surgery to minimize the likelihood of any complications. My wife and I both have not had any issues. She was pretty blind without glasses prior to her lasik (rx 5+), i was 2.25 w/astigmatism...now 20/20

Good luck with your decision...either way, trust your gut!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update: I had a consultation with Pacific Laser yesterday and quite liked the place. I still have 2 other consultations booked (with Clearly Lasik and Lasik MD), but unless they really blow me away with their presentation, I'll probably go with Pacific. I'll keep an open mind, but I really did like these guys a lot.

Unless someone from one of the other centers convinces me otherwise, I'll be going with custom mapped Wavefront PRK. I still do enough contact/high risk sport that the long-term security of there not being a flap that could possibly shift sits better with me, and this instinct was verified by the surgeon (they do both types, so it wasn't a matter of recommending what they offer).

It ain't gonna be cheap, but I'd be really worried going to one of those bargain places. While I'm sure that lots of people have perfectly satisfactory results from them, I'm just not willing to risk it.

I'll post again once I've talked to the docs at the other centers and see if my mind changes at all.

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think PRK is the right choice. That is the procedure I had on Jan 7 of this year. Very happy I went this route.

A couple points to bear in mind -

1. The procedure is "uncomfortable" but not horrible. However, once the numbing drops wear off, your eyes hurt like hell! It was unreal how much it hurt. You need to take the pain meds immediately and put ice bags on your eyes. That helps a lot.

2. The first couple days suck. Your eyes are irritated and vision is very, very blury. Expect to not be able to see much at all for 2-3 days. Expect a week before you should even consider driving.

All that said, I would do it again w/o hesitation. Visual freedom is awesome. Good luck!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ten years ago I flew up to Vancouver to have lasik done by doc in Burnaby area. It was way cheaper than US and they had more experience at it than in US at that time. Seems to me it was $1K USD total for both eyes! I am guessing they must have way few lawyers in Canada than here where bull shit litigation is a way of life. It was the best money I ever spent and never regret having it done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Khai,

sent you a PM.

robert
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ooh, I'll keep an eye out for your updates, I'm considering finally getting to do this if I can spare a few $$$ this year...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn it all...

So I just came back from my consultation with Clearly Lasik. The difference between the consultation process there and at Pacific is night and day.

Pacific Laser:

6-8 people are booked at a time, and it starts out with a 1/2hr movie presentation.
Then a consultant comes in and talks to the group about the different types of procedures, available options, talks about the process (pre, during and post op) and answers everyone's questions.
Everyone is sent to the waiting room, where we're called one at a time by a technologist for various tests and exams.
The tech is efficient and professional (but none too personable).
Because of the different tests, I'm back in the waiting room 3 or 4 times in between tests.
Finally there's the meeting with the surgeon who will perform the operation. He exudes confidence, and is both personable as well as professional. Everything about him screams "I've done this a million times, and you're going to be a piece of cake". He's open to questions, and didn't bristle when I mentioned that this was one of three potential centers I'd be talking to. His response was "That's a good idea - I don't care where you get it done, but I want you to be informed." He tossed out one final question, and told me to see if any of the other surgeons asked me that.
From there I was shown into what I'd normally call "the closing room", only there's no pressure to sign on the dotted line. They go over pricing, various options, and give me a piece of paper with some instructions and a number to call when I want to book. Also, they reiterate that I will need to see an optometrist (on my own, at additional cost) for a thorough pre-operative exam, as well as 5 follow ups. They have names if you don't have a regular eye doc.
Total elapsed time, ~3hrs (with well over an hour of that having been spent in the waiting room)

Impression: This doc knows what he's doing, and runs a no-nonsense, professional shop.

Clearly Lasik:

I arrive nearly 30min early, having had zero traffic to contend with and good directions on parking.
The (very pretty) gal at the desk smiles, knows exactly who I am, mentions that she spoke with me on the phone earlier, and gives me some paperwork to fill out. It's quite a comprehensive medical history survey. I fill out the paperwork and hand it in.
Very shortly, a tech comes out and takes me into an examination room. She tells me about the test she's about to perform, explains what's involved as well as what it measures and how they use the data, and then performs the test. She performs maybe a half dozen tests on me, each time explaining what it is, how the test will go, and what sort of data they're collecting. This takes place over several different rooms, but I'm the only one there and there's no waiting. We just go from room to room to room, gathering key data for the Dr to make his assessment & recommendations. When she's done with me she tells me that an optometrist will see me next.
I'm waiting all of 30s when the optometrist comes out takes me through a series of tests - this examination appears to be what Pacific wants me to go out and have done on my own. Like the tech, she explains what she's doing, each step of each test, and shows me some of the data from the previous batch of tests. We talk about both procedures, which I'm leaning toward, the pros/cons of both, options, timing/follow ups, etc.
Once she's done she takes me to see the consultant (the "closing room" again). Back with the pretty gal (who's very personable), and we discuss options, pricing, available dates, etc. We talked about a bunch of other stuff too, but that wasn't really part of the process, methinks. :p Again, no pressure to sign. She gives me an information package, tells me I can book a slot and cancel it at any time with no charge if I just want to hold it, and we chat a bit more (about farmer's markets, pies, etc). She also tells me a bit about the surgeon, whom I don't get to meet. (Dr King has done over 50,000 procedures)
Overall time ~2hrs, and I spent a lot more time asking questions and discussing specific points as well as just general BS conversation.

Impressions: These guys have the "feel" DOWN. They're super friendly, explain EVERYTHING to you, and involve you as a patient throughout the entire process. One walks out of there thinking "That was a really great experience." BUT - I never did get to meet the surgeon...

Comparison:

Pacific Laser gives the impression of a no-nonsense, fully professional outfit. They're there to do a job, and that job is to fix your eyes. All data collected is there to aid them in making the best recommendation possible, to give you the best possible outcome. If there is a choice to be made, they'll let you make it - but it's their show. The surgeon sees every single patient both before (during the consultation), and after the procedure (follow up visit). They have a reputation for being the place where ophthalmologists go to get their eyes done, as well as the place to go if someone else fucked up the job and you need to have your eyes fixed "for real".

Clearly Lasik involves the patient much more, and makes the entire process very enjoyable. They seem every bit as professional as PL, but are also friendly, and share the information as well as the process. It just makes you feel good. They have an in-house optometrist so you can get everything taken care of on-site. They have packages and financing. They make it easy and comfortable.

If it wasn't freakin' eye surgery (or any surgery, for that matter), it would be a no brainer. I'd say CL wins hands down. Everything about my experience today was so much more enjoyable than at Pacific. However, this is eye surgery, and Drs Lin & Holland have the best rep in the business (ar at least that's what I keep hearing from independent sources). The prices are within a few hundred bucks of each other at most - so not a factor whatsoever. This isn't to say that Dr King might not be awesome - I'm sure he's a damned good surgeon. But he doesn't have the rep (as far as I know).

I think I'm still leaning toward Pacific, but all of a sudden my decision is harder than I had anticipated. And I've still got one more place to visit!

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
...They have a reputation for being the place where ophthalmologists go to get their eyes done, as well as the place to go if someone else fucked up the job and you need to have your eyes fixed "for real".

Khai, I had custom-mapped Lasik done about 5 years ago in a shop that appears to be the US equivalent to Pacific Laser. It is really life-changing not to wear glasses or contacts. You could even argue that it is cost effective if you consider the cumulative yearlyt costs of glasses, etc.

I chose my shop based on the recommendation of other ophthalmologists, and was ultimately impressed by the "repair work" my guy did to fix other botched jobs. Don't mess with your eyes -- get the best possible.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Last edited by: MOP_Mike: Mar 12, 10 17:59
Quote Reply
Re: laser eye surgery in Vancouver, BC [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Don't mess with your eyes -- get the best possible.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm trying to achieve. I'm going to call Clearly Lasik on Monday and ask them about repairs to botched jobs, as well as how many optometrists & ophthalmologists they treat. Maybe it's just chance that the people I've talked to had experience with PL and not CL. Digging around for comparisons, it sounds like Dr King (CL) has done more procedures (>50k), but it sounds like Dr Lin (Pacific) has been practicing for longer (set up shop in 1989). King trains new laser surgeons, Lin does research on new technologies, etc.

Really, it's starting to sound like they're both damned good. I just wish there was a clear-cut winner...

It's pretty rare for me not to have a fairly clear gut instinct when important decisions are on the line.

==========

David T.C. Lin, MD, FRCSC
Dr. David Lin received his medical training at McGill University. After his ophthalmology residency, he further pursued two years of postgraduate corneal training at Pacific Medical Consultants in San Francisco and Louisiana State University in New Orleans. While at LSU, Dr. Lin trained with Drs. Herb Kaufman and Marguerite McDonald. He was involved in the original research of excimer laser surgery and corneal topography. Upon his return to Vancouver in 1989, Dr. Lin set up one of the first excimer laser centres in Canada and has been specializing in the field of refractive surgery (Please refer to his personal results in "statistics").
Dr. Lin is continuously involved in the studies of excimer laser surgery. He has given numerous lectures internationally and published extensively in scientific journals. He is currently Clinical Associate Professor of Ophthalmology, University of British Columbia; Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada; certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology.
Dr. Joseph King
Dr. Joseph King has over 10 years of clinical experience correcting the vision of thousands of patients. He has personally performed 50,000 laser vision correction procedures.
Education
Dr. King graduated from the University of British Columbia School of Medicine in Vancouver, Canada. He completed his postgraduate medical and surgical internship in Victoria, British Columbia. A dual U.S. and Canadian citizen, Dr. King's Ophthalmology specialty training was performed at Case Western Reserve University, St. Luke's Medical Center, in Cleveland, Ohio, where he served as Chief Resident. Following completion of his Ophthalmology residency, Dr. King completed an additional year of training in ophthalmology, which included specialized training in laser vision correction at the University of South Florida Eye Institute. Refractive Experience

Based on his experience of performing over 50,000 laser vision correction procedures, Dr. King is regarded as one of the most experienced laser eye surgeons in North America. Dr. King has served as Medical Director of leading laser refractive surgery centers in Canada, California and Washington state. He is a co-founder of CLEARLY LASIK.
A leader in the field of laser vision correction, Dr. King was the first surgeon in Western North America to use the Bausch and Lomb Z-100 laser. This laser is among the technology now offered at CLEARLY LASIK. Dr. King was the first surgeon in the Northwestern US and Canada to use the Bausch and Lomb Zyoptix XP microkeratome and he performed the first surgery using Zyoptix-TS in Western North America. He is certified and has performed surgery on most leading laser systems including Bausch and Lomb, VISX, Alcon LadarVision, NIdek, and Intralase. Dr. King has trained many other LASIK surgeons and has performed laser vision correction for many other physicians and their families.
Dr. King is the only LASIK surgeon currently practicing in Canada who is certified by the non-profit patient advocacy Council for Refractive Surgery Quality Assurance. Associations and Professional Membership
  • Royal College of Surgeons of Canada
  • U.S. Board certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology
  • Member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology
  • Member American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is old news, but I've been busy. Stop #3 on the tour was Lasik MD - Andy's recommendation.

Lasik MD has a swank office right on Georgia Street in Coal Harbor - a very chi-chi location, though a pain in the ass for parking. :p Especially since they told me that I'd need 3hrs for the consultation, and all street parking (including metered) is limited to 2hrs. I ended up paying 15 bucks for garage parking after circling around forever. Not a great start, and I was kind of annoyed when I got out of the car. :p

Their office is MASSIVE. I swear the waiting room is larger than a highschool gymnasium, with over a dozen leather(esque?) couches scattered about (with lots of space between), cookies on the coffee tables, big flatscreen TVs, a computer with internet access, and a Tassimo coffee machine. They make the waiting room a pleasant place to be.

A few different techs took me through the various tests, all friendly and seemingly happy to be there. Someone did an eye exam, but I'm not sure if she was an optometrist or an optician. It was never specified. On to the "closing room" (with another pretty girl - I'm seeing a trend here), where the emphasis is on the National chain of locations, where they do either more procedures than any other company, or more procedures than all the rest combined - I don't remember. Their actual surgeons- at least the ones in Vancouver who had available slots, aren't what I'd call super-experienced. One had maybe 5000 procedures under his belt and the other over 1000. (By comparison, both Dr Lim @ Pacific and Dr King @ Clearly have been practicing in Vancouver for over 10 years, with Dr Lim having done 50,000 procedures split with his partner, and Dr King over 50,000 himself).

I'm sure it's a good shop. Heck - they have a 20/20 or it's free guarantee. :p Andy went there, and she's been very happy with her results - but these guys just didn't do it for me.

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe not what you want to hear, but my sister, who is an MD-PhD ophthalmologist would strongly advise against getting laser surgery. If you want, you can email her (just email me). But she has her VERY long list of why not. But if you don't want to hear that stuff, that's fine.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So with Lasik MD eliminated, I needed to make a decision. Still torn by my extremely positive experience at Clearly Lasik and Pacific Laser's reputation, I decided to give CL a call. I wanted to know about: fixing (other people's botched jobs), fixing their own problems (and frequency of those occurrences), and to get a better idea of Dr King's reputation. All my extensive Googling had turned up was one guy who was pissed off that they determined him to be a non-candidate (you'd think this a good thing, but whatever), and that his former business partner tried to kill him by hiring a Russian hit man so that he could collect a rather large life insurance policy (I shit you not).

I called them and spoke with a consultant for nearly an hour. She never seemed to be rushed, annoyed that I was taking so much time, or put off my by stupid questions. She explained about fixing other botched jobs, that most of the time PRK is used to fix it because moving the flap is generally difficult but that Dr. King is considered one of the best when it comes to re-lifting and replacing flaps, and a little more about the different technologies. She explained to me that in order to have a flap shift due to a blow to the eye (once the initial healing process is done), not only would the blow have to be incredibly precise at the exact angle and with a small object such as a stick/finger/etc, but also that it would have to be with such force as the likely smash the orbit. Essentially, if you take a shot to the eye hard enough to move a flap, the flap is the least of your concerns. You're looking at a detached retina, smashed orbit, crushed eyeball...

Satisfied with this new information I booked with Clearly Lasik. I also switched from PRK to Lasik, with the IntraLase (blade free) flap creation and Custom Wavefront mapping. The IntraLase uses a laser to make the flap, which is able to make a thinner flap than the microkeratome (blade) and cuts into the cornea at a 90 degree angle such that the finished flap does not sit down on top of the cornea at an angle like with a blade, but rather drops into place like a manhole cover.

As I understand it, there are three flap-making options commonly available:

Microkeratome - a blade similar in description to a vegetable julienne is used to slice the cornea
Zyoptix XP - another blade, similar to the microkeratome but the technology is newer - uses less pressure and creates a thinner flap than the MK
Intralase - no blade - a laser is used to create an ultra thin flap that cuts straight down into the cornea rather than slicing across it at an angle.

Generally when one sees a bargain price at any clinic, they are advertising a non-custom mapped PRK or microkeratome lasik procedure with everything "extra" (touch ups, pre/post op care, etc). Many if not most clinics offer custom wavefront mapping for both Lasik and PRK, and I can't imagine not opting for that unless extremely price sensitive (and even then, just save up a little longer). Clearly Lasik is the only clinic in my area (of which I'm aware) that uses the Intralase. It's new, cutting edge technology and the advantages are that the shape of the flap is custom designed to that of one's cornea, and that it "locks" in place rather than sitting on top of the cut, enabling faster healing and reducing the odds of post-operative shift.

I went in yesterday and had the procedure done. The flap creation was uncomfortable, but not painful (20s/eye). The actual Lasik part was a piece of cake (<30s/eye), with the only weird part that I could smell my eye burning, and that it looked different from left to right eyes. The whole procedure took maybe 15min, with the bulk of that time them explaining to me what was going to happen beforehand. Once the flap was back in place I had another eye exam with a scope to ensure that everything was seated properly, they gave me a kit with a bunch of drops and some sick shades, and told me that the majority of the healing would take place in the next 6-8hrs - and that the more time I spent with my eyes closed the better. They also told me that the drop schedule was just for "awake time" - so I was not to set an alarm to wake up and put in the drops. I spent maybe 1/2 an hour in the waiting room with my eyes closed waiting for a ride, went home, and slept from 16:00-07:00 (they gave me something to help me sleep). When I woke up this morning I could see. It's been that simple. There was a little "rough" feeling in my eyes when I woke up, and it was a little "foggy" or blurry - especially when looking at hard edges and straight lines. But that's mostly attributed to all the drops they put in during the procedure. I went back in this morning and tested at 20/15 - which is to say that I can see at 20' what "someone with normal vision" sees at 15'. They were very pleased with my vision and how things are healing, and I'm thrilled thus far. My eyesight should clear up within a week or so, and the blurriness should go away. I have an eyedrop routine to follow for a while to encourage healing and to discourage infection, and another follow up appt on Monday. I'm also supposed to wear UV sunglasses outside for 2 months (though they encourage that I do always)

I have hardly any discomfort at all (just a little when I get behind in my drops), and I can totally see!

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply

Prev Next