Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

krazy glue for quarq magnet?
Quote | Reply
Anyone ever use krazy glue to stick their quarq magnet on? My fell off the other day when I dropped my chain on it, and I don't have any epoxy laying around. I know it's only a couple of bucks but if the superglue works...
Quote Reply
Re: krazy glue for quarq magnet? [jsoderman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What quarq? Newer firmware on some models don't need the magnet. Might can go without
Quote Reply
Re: krazy glue for quarq magnet? [jamgam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I've heard that. I don't have the dongle necessary to do that...might be worth the buy, as I believe my model is new enough to be updated
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jsoderman wrote:
Yeah I've heard that. I don't have the dongle necessary to do that...might be worth the buy, as I believe my model is new enough to be updated

If you know someone with a Samsung Galaxy s4 5 or 6 they can help update. No dongle necessary and all the apps required are free
Quote Reply
Re: krazy glue for quarq magnet? [jamgam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
after I saw your post I started looking in the archives and saw the Samsung trick. Also, I think a friend of mine has a dongle that i can borrow...looks like it only takes 10min to do the update
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use hot glue, it seems to work well for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. Thats' what I always used. Until I didn't need a magnet anymore.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey jsoderman,

I would personally stay away from Crazy Glue or any other "super" glues when it comes to a magnet application.

Here is a blurb from the Crazy Glue website regarding the water resistance of their glues;

"The success of the bond is more dependent on how well the pieces being bonded match up. The glue does not dissolve in water. However, if the glue joint is exposed, water can eventually work its way behind the bond to break it loose."

The adhesive magnet that we sell uses a 2 part putty adhesive, made by loc-tite, that when mixed and properly applied makes for an extremely strong bond. Visit our website and check out your power meters user manual for more information regarding proper adhesive magnet application. http://www.quarq.com/...port/product-manuals

Ultimately if your power meter can be updated to run AxCad accelerometer cadence do it. No matter how well applied an adhesive magnet is there is always the chance that a chain drop will cause it to detach.

Power meters that use the CR2032 battery and have the LED indicator light can be updated to run AxCad. We only recommend using the glue on magnet if your power meter is of a generation that does not support AxCad and the adhesive magnet is the ONLY option. Once the firmware is updated, which takes no more than 5 min, the crank will recognize that a magnet is not present and it will enable AxCad accelerometer based cadence measurement.

Alex@Quarq
Quote Reply
Re: krazy glue for quarq magnet? [Alex@Quarq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pardon the slight thread hi-jack. I have recently upgraded to a Riken with AxCad but still have the magnet glued on my frame for the previous Cinq installation. Should I just leave the magnet on and allow the Riken to calculate cadence from that or remove the magnet and allow the new meter to utilize the AxCad measurement?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: krazy glue for quarq magnet? [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey HoustonTri(er),

When did you receive this power meter? If it was direct from us after October of 2014 then you have the correct firmware and the magnet can be removed. If it is before this date, it would just need a firmware update. If you are unsure and want to confirm give us a shout at the CS number and have your ANT ID ready. Takes a minute to look up.

We have no concerns regarding the accuracy of AxCad accelerometer based cadence measurement. In fact, as of July of 2015 the Quarq factory no longer ships magnets of any kind with new power meters. My suggestion, and the official stance from Quarq, would be to remove the magnet and run AxCad. Especially if the magnet is a glue on type, or if it is the older cable guide or bbring mount version that does not have the magnet encapsulated to the metal mount with plastic. If a series of unfortunate events occur during a magnet detachment it can ruin more than just your data from the ride.

Alex@Quarq
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. The new unit came direct from you last week (out of warranty replacement deal). I'll remove the magnet tonight - will probably save me 0.1W as well, an added bonus ; )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used hot glue in the past but have also had it eventually fail. At some point I ended up holding the magnet on with electrical tape, or glue + electrical tape. Then I did the firmware update and no longer worry. Super helpful as I swap the crank between several bikes and getting a magnet just so on each was kind of a pain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Alex,

Can my quarq riken be upgraded with qalvin running on a windows pc with garmin ant usb ?

Alex@Quarq wrote:
Hey jsoderman,

I would personally stay away from Crazy Glue or any other "super" glues when it comes to a magnet application.

Here is a blurb from the Crazy Glue website regarding the water resistance of their glues;

"The success of the bond is more dependent on how well the pieces being bonded match up. The glue does not dissolve in water. However, if the glue joint is exposed, water can eventually work its way behind the bond to break it loose."

The adhesive magnet that we sell uses a 2 part putty adhesive, made by loc-tite, that when mixed and properly applied makes for an extremely strong bond. Visit our website and check out your power meters user manual for more information regarding proper adhesive magnet application. http://www.quarq.com/...port/product-manuals

Ultimately if your power meter can be updated to run AxCad accelerometer cadence do it. No matter how well applied an adhesive magnet is there is always the chance that a chain drop will cause it to detach.

Power meters that use the CR2032 battery and have the LED indicator light can be updated to run AxCad. We only recommend using the glue on magnet if your power meter is of a generation that does not support AxCad and the adhesive magnet is the ONLY option. Once the firmware is updated, which takes no more than 5 min, the crank will recognize that a magnet is not present and it will enable AxCad accelerometer based cadence measurement.

Alex@Quarq
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jsoderman wrote:
Anyone ever use krazy glue to stick their quarq magnet on? My fell off the other day when I dropped my chain on it, and I don't have any epoxy laying around. I know it's only a couple of bucks but if the superglue works...

I tried several things with no success [glue, putty, two magnets] and have a solution working well now with fully encasing the magnet to the plate with hot melt.

Get an updated quarq magnet where it is moulded onto the plate as it should have been from design day 1.
Quote Reply
Re: krazy glue for quarq magnet? [lennyk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Lenny,

Yes it can. I just sent you a PM regarding this.

Alex@Quarq
Quote Reply
Re: krazy glue for quarq magnet? [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pantelones wrote:
Get an updated quarq magnet where it is moulded onto the plate as it should have been from design day 1.

It's funny you mentioned that. I prefer the old two piece version. It works well for BB30/PF30/large BB shells where you can slide the magnet up and down that metal plate, or even install that plate reversed. You just needed to reglue the magnet back when you were done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used a bit of JB Weld (find at any HomeDepot) when my magnet fell off. It has worked like a charm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jsoderman wrote:

I've had great success with GOOP. If you ever need to take it off it'll come off and leave no residue.
Quote Reply