Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
john howard at kona
Quote | Reply
John Howard road a 4:28 at kona in 1980 holy crap!! Please does anyone out there have a link to a picture of his bike. I searched google to no avail. I was just doing a survey of historical bike times at kona and came across this.
Quote Reply
Re: john howard at kona [howardjd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A better question is wtf did you do to your P3? I'm referencing the ridiculous pictures in your profile.

I'm not sure cameras existed in 1980.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
guess he would be in the 3:50s with todays aero advances
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Howard was even before my time and I have never met him. But I'll bet that he was one dude that you have have loved to party with.
He must have been crazier than sh-t.....doing this kinda stuff!

Quote Reply
Re: john howard at kona [JPatterson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JPatterson wrote:
Howard was even before my time and I have never met him. But I'll bet that he was one dude that you have have loved to party with.
He must have been crazier than sh-t.....doing this kinda stuff!

That's insane.

Hans Bielat
TorHans LLC Co-Founder, Owner, Chief Innovation Officer
http://www.torhans.com
Quote Reply
Re: john howard at kona [Ted Striker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NAH....only 152.2 mph.....!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course it was a road bike with spoked wheels. I saw his bike the next year in Kona, I think it had 753 tubing. You have to remember that year he did that time, you had your own personal support van to tow you around the island. (wink wink) His time the next year in Kona is more reflective of what he could do in a legit tt. But of course that 5;03 I believe, included a couple weigh ins where you had to get off the bike, and the course was 115 miles. So closer to a low 4;50+ for comparison purposes I would say.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I saw something about this on Discovery totally awesome. The first time he tried he went out side the draft, went flying, then took two years or something to recover to have another go.
Quote Reply
Re: john howard at kona [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a shame. I was hoping it was all guts and glory.
Quote Reply
Re: john howard at kona [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Made it way cooler!! You haven't heard that air parts itself for green and red colors. You should have seen it when it still had a 90oz tropicana pure premium bottle painted red taped to the front with the straw just an inch from the mouth and a chin rest where the handle on the bottle was.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
John was our coach at a camp years ago and he is a super nice guy. Also crazy good on the bike. He at the same time held masters titles in Time trial, road, and mountain bike as either a 40 or 50 year old! He would do lectures while staying in a track stand. The time referred to above was in a trial run for the speed record. As he told it, he had a blow out at something crazy like 85 mph. He kept the bike upright, but said it took a few months with a counselor to get back on. He was amazing, and is such a good guy.....will talk to you forever. You might e-mail him, as I would guess he probably does have the photo you are looking for.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Re: john howard at kona [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why did he need psychiatric help? He kept it up after a blow-out at 85 mph?...damn right....he was good!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea, the stress from the blow out....he said it was a while before he could get back on, and if you know John at all, that says a lot, as he was incredibly tough, wild and crazy! A bit eccentric, but really a nice man, and really knows his stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ya John is a great guy with a ton of stories. I just rode a bit with him a couple weeks ago on the wednesday ride, and at 63 he is still one of the hammers of that ride. And he does not just hang on(like some here) he goes to the front and takes hard pulls. I know he was pointing for a good result in the Tour de Tuscon a few weeks ago too, not sure what happened there, but Paul Thomas told me he was riding very strong..I think I remember him saying that he might of crashed on one of his speed record attempts, and that is no ordinary crash. More like being on a really fast motorcycle.

He also did the RAAM one year, I think he won. He doesn't get the respect as one of Americas best cyclists, as he did not go do the tour. Jonathan Boyer was the first I remember going over there, and he got a lot of good PR for that.John won pan am golds I believe, and had tons of great results, but no tour. Funny that not long ago, Boyer came out of retirement at 50 and won the pro division of the RAAM. And now I hear that Alexi Grewall is coming our of retirement at 50+ to try and race pro again. With Thurolw Rogers still killing it in the pro fields, it is like going back in a time machine..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Appreciate the info. I guess he has a webpage or something I could search to get his email?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
A better question is wtf did you do to your P3? I'm referencing the ridiculous pictures in your profile.

I'm not sure cameras existed in 1980.

It looks like an angry elf with a green marker attacked his bike!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I just rode a bit with him a couple weeks ago on the wednesday ride, and at 63 he is still one of the hammers of that ride. And he does not just hang on(like some here) he goes to the front and takes hard pulls.

Yes, the DeSoto jersey is pretty glaring there in the back....

Kurt Luoni
US Sales Manager
Orca Wetsuits
Quote Reply
Re: john howard at kona [tri2112] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Considering how fast I was blasting through the field at Agusta before I got hurt that elf must have posessed the bike with super powers. Just need a fairy to posess me with the same so I don't get hurt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can contact John at info@johnhowardsports.com
He has that bike from his Kona record hanging on the wall in his house. I believe it was a Raleigh, downtube shifters, nothing aero at all on it.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
howardjd wrote:
Considering how fast I was blasting through the field at Agusta before I got hurt that elf must have posessed the bike with super powers. Just need a fairy to posess me with the same so I don't get hurt.

or maybe you need to work on the swim? ;)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
And he does not just hang on(like some here) he goes to the front and takes hard pulls

You mean there are ITU pros posting on this forum ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:

I guess he went away for the weekend, and forgot to tell his 6 year-old not to touch his bike? ;-)

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He came to my home for lunch way back in about 91 or 92 I think (he brought Gaylene Clews - Rob de Catella's wife).

Really nice guy, and he can tell stories for hours that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Fr'instance, after the world cycling speed record in the photo above, the Air Force sought his assistance with their experiments into human powered flight for military applications.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"A better question is wtf did you do to your P3?"
--------------------------------------------
...and you live in my area....don't let my P3 see that or it'll be jealous!

Oh, and I have met John Howard a number of times over the years starting back in the '80s. He has always been a super great guy. He was on the cutting edge of a lot of things we see today. He is also one of the all time greatest cyclists the US has ever produced.....just a different era.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Jan 5, 11 4:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could have sworn I saw that bike in Augusta last year.

http://www.EpixGear.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next