Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
ironman to test for "mechanical fraud."
Quote | Reply
story is on the home page.

as you all know the uci announced this yesterday. wtc and uci are doing this together, which i assume to mean the same technology will be used. so the question i'm asking is, can magnetic flux be easily, quickly, accurately measured when the motor is off? T2 gives triathlon an advantage in testing. but it's also no longer a running motor in T2.

so this is the question i have out there and ironman should be giving me the answer back imminently.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: ironman to test for "mechanical fraud." [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
mechanical fraud

Thank you for calling it what it really is....

The other term is just too stoopid to repeat.....

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Magnetic flux density would detect a permanent magnet. So, if the motor used an electromagnet, it might be able to fool the testing. But I bet it is pretty freakin' hard to build a small, light, low power motor on an electromagnet.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman to test for "mechanical fraud." [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Magnetic flux density would detect a permanent magnet. So, if the motor used an electromagnet, it might be able to fool the testing. But I bet it is pretty freakin' hard to build a small, light, low power motor on an electromagnet.
Yes this. Most small electric motors have a permanent magnet.

So of course the manufacturers of this will shield the motor better, or find a way to run an electromagnet in the stator and the rotor. And the cat and mouse game continues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a reason WTC must announce this? Could they not just start testing bikes in T2 without telling everybody? They pretty much have full responsibility for your equipment anyway, between check-in and check-out.

It's a gamble on their part: The announcement may deter future cheats, but quietly rolling out this test may catch the ones already committing fraud.

I guess it depends on what they really want. If I were in charge of testing, I'd probably want to catch somebody as proof that my protocol works. (The implication being that it's worth the time and money.)

As the previous post said, this just gives cheaters more information on how to beat the system.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman to test for "mechanical fraud." [HardKnox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well shit, there goes my race plan for Texas.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: ironman to test for "mechanical fraud." [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:

What, the shortened course wasn't enough for you?

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: ironman to test for "mechanical fraud." [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The better question is whether they'll be testing for this at AmZof.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HardKnox wrote:
Is there a reason WTC must announce this? Could they not just start testing bikes in T2 without telling everybody? They pretty much have full responsibility for your equipment anyway, between check-in and check-out.

It's a gamble on their part: The announcement may deter future cheats, but quietly rolling out this test may catch the ones already committing fraud.

I guess it depends on what they really want. If I were in charge of testing, I'd probably want to catch somebody as proof that my protocol works. (The implication being that it's worth the time and money.)

As the previous post said, this just gives cheaters more information on how to beat the system.

My guess is that they want to start testing and never catch anyone in the act going forward. If they were to test unannounced, and catch say 30 out of 2500 competitors, then one can only assume that similar number of racers have been cheating in previous races prior to this...for who knows how long. I don't think that would help their image as people blame the WTC for everything as it is.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman to test for "mechanical fraud." [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally understand and, for the most part, agree.

But just like has happened with the UCI (who WTC is working with/"learning from"), the organization also gets crucified when they don't find anything. Even on this board we talk about what a joke their drug testing protocols are, and how far behind the cheats they are.

So I'm just saying, wouldn't it be good in a way for them to catch the people they say they want to catch, and then prove further down the line that it's been eradicated -- rather than never catching anybody and fostering the notion that triathletes somehow have a straighter moral compass?

Meanwhile we'll be on the boards saying, "You idiots, nobody puts motors in the BB/rear hub anymore. They're shaft-driven, hidden in the head tube and powered by solar panels layered into the carbon top tube. What a waste of money."
Quote Reply
Re: ironman to test for "mechanical fraud." [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:

They're only looking in the seat tube so give this a try. Throw a wheel cover on it and you're golden.

https://www.kickstarter.com/...e-electric-in-60-sec

--Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the UCI, or WTC pros, I could understand a more subtle approach to catching cheats. But for AGers, they are paying customers that directly impact their bottom line. Catch an AGer with a motor, ban them for X years and you just lost a paying customer. And more likely, they will be publicly shamed and may give up the sport entirely. Within the AG ranks, I don't think there is so much a need to make an example out of someone as it is just ensuring people that standards for fair play are being implemented.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Catch an AGer with a motor, ban them for X years and you just lost a paying customer."

take a cavalier attitude to fraud perpetrated at your events, you just lost a lot of paying customers. (see julie miller.)

"And more likely, they will be publicly shamed and may give up the sport entirely."

exactly.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm... sort of. The way I see it is that they don't want to lose custom, but have a pretence that they're doing something to shield themselves from criticism. Hence, tell people they'll be checking ahead of the race so fraudsters can sort themselves out, and maybe make an example of one or two who are stupid enough to chance it. If WTC really wanted to catch people, it would be unannounced.

It was previously said that there's only two kinds of athletes who get caught for doping, when there's a reasonable chance that testing will occur: the stupid and those who want to be caught. I think this will apply in the mechanical fraud sphere also.

Anyways, is this really a problem? AG doping I can understand, but mechanical fraud? Really?

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman to test for "mechanical fraud." [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Quote:
mechanical fraud

Thank you for calling it what it really is....
The other term is just too stoopid to repeat.....

Huh? It's not a corrupt financial transaction, which the term fraud would imply. This is sports.

"Illegal electro-mechanical assistance", might be a better term.

I'd be really surprised if this wasn't all smoke and mirrors. A distraction of sorts.
I have an electric bike. The straight up TT/Tri bike is faster, except for city stops/ then starts - and hills.

But to get that assistance I have a honking battery and big ass motor on the wheel.
To cram into a TT bike you need energy storage aka battery or a capacitive device.
Then the motor if it's small will be not that great for torque and heat capacity.

More PIA than it's worth. Plus it would weigh a few pounds easy.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: ironman to test for "mechanical fraud." [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mark barfied (uci tech director) answered it, on the home page now. yes, it detects an idle bike.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not test all the bikes at night, when they're in transition and there's no chance of interference?
Quote Reply
Re: ironman to test for "mechanical fraud." [ffips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they might do that too.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going for a liquid rocket-fuel filled frame with a batmobile style engine. No magnets for them to detect and I won't have to worry about fools drafting me.

Or this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKHz7wOjb9w
Last edited by: spudone: May 4, 16 15:31
Quote Reply
Re: ironman to test for "mechanical fraud." [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Vivax unit that the Belgian cyclist got caught with recently weighs 1.8kg and gives out 200 watts for up to 90 minutes. Assuming that could be tweaked to give ~67 watts for 4.5 hours instead, that is certainly "worth the PIA".
Quote Reply
Re: ironman to test for "mechanical fraud." [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no way will anyone notice that!
Quote Reply
Re: ironman to test for "mechanical fraud." [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:

^^^^This.

The off-the-shelf solutions use a permanent magnet DC motor. It would take a lot of work to build a non-standard solution just for the purposes of avoiding detection. You might use an inverter-driven AC induction motor as a base.

IMO it's easier to test for unexplained dense areas in the bike tubes when scanning. Also, for the pros tell them that every bike will be inspected (by an approved WTC mechanic and USAT official) while they are out on the run.....that should be enough to keep them from trying anything.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: ironman to test for "mechanical fraud." [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
exxxviii wrote:

Yes this. Most small electric motors have a permanent magnet.

So of course the manufacturers of this will shield the motor better, or find a way to run an electromagnet in the stator and the rotor. And the cat and mouse game continues.

Talked to a our mad scientist engineer here at work and he said that with enough money he could build an undetectable (from mag flux) seattube motor. Generous use of MuMetal shielding. The compromise would be heat buildup and overall reduced power outputs. Essentially a miniaturization, money, and engineering problem only.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
For the UCI, or WTC pros, I could understand a more subtle approach to catching cheats. But for AGers, they are paying customers that directly impact their bottom line. Catch an AGer with a motor, ban them for X years and you just lost a paying customer. And more likely, they will be publicly shamed and may give up the sport entirely. Within the AG ranks, I don't think there is so much a need to make an example out of someone as it is just ensuring people that standards for fair play are being implemented.

Actually, as someone who use to collect things as a kid, I can say first hand that the internet was a blessing for collectibles, but is also brought out counterfeits. Counterfeits killed the market for a lot of things because the items were not special anymore. The same thing applies, if Ironman doesn't go after cheats you are going to have 10x more people quit the sport out of frustration of cheats, than you will from people who have motors who feel they are being targeted.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
now if they can only find a way to start testing for raging narcissism our sport might have a chance of redemption
Quote Reply

Prev Next