Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

injury that may have stemmed from bike fit- looking for new fit advice
Quote | Reply
First bought my triathlon bike in 2011 and was fit a few times at the place I bought it. I didn't have any issues with fit/ride comfort and left it alone until 2013. 3 weeks out from an Ironman I made a slight adjustment to the seat because I had a bad sore. The next day ironically I hurt my knee on a run. I did the Ironman and the knee didn't bother me until the run. After the race and some rest the pain was still lingering on the bike. I went to a new bike shop who specialized in tri bike fits. They set me up with a new fit and sent me on the way. I was still having issues with knee pain so I taped myself in slow motion and could see how bad my knee would move out at the top of the pedal stroke. I sent the video to the bike shop and they asked me to come back. I worked with a different guy this time. He made some adjustments, but didn't seem to be concerned with my knee moving out like it did. In fact he never offered to tape me in slow mo. Maybe I should have asked him to when I was there.

I went back home and filmed in slow mo again. Knee still moved out at top of stroke. It didn't seem the fitter was too worried about this, but I was because I was looking for a reason behind the knee injury. The owner of the shop talked to me and said they would continue to work with me, but I still felt the fitter wasn't concerned. I bought shims and inserts and worked with it myself. There was a big change in my stroke and the leg was moving up and down like it should. Well I knew this was only temporary because the inserts made my foot fit really tight in the shoe and I couldn't get all the bolts in the cleat ( only 2 to hold them in). I only made the changes to see if the stroke would change.

Fast fwd... I stopped cycling and had my knee scoped. They shaved down the plica and removed some frayed cartilage. I was on the stationary the next day. A couple days later I'm back on the trainer and it's not comfy. I know time will help me adjust, but I don't think I should keep riding either.

I need to be fit again. Should I go back to the same shop that I paid $150 or thinking of getting a different fit. I feel like I wasted my money there. I was looking at the retul fit. Sounds like I need some type of video analysis. There is another fit someone has turned me on to and its called wobble naught, but it's $250. I don't want to keep putting money towards fits so I want to make sure this is my last amount I put out. What would you do? I live in Akron, OH so I want something close
Quote Reply
Re: injury that may have stemmed from bike fit- looking for new fit advice [seadocha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am I missing something? The knee injury was caused by running? The knee pain lingered till scoped, due to running? Bike fits YOU kept changing to what YOU thought . (You may be right with that I do not know). Now the question is should you go to anyone where you changed the fit due to what you thought. Do I have that correct?
Quote Reply
Re: injury that may have stemmed from bike fit- looking for new fit advice [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While the knee injury occurred on a run I'm not sure exactly sure why is happened. I thought that biking all those miles w my leg not tracking correctly could have possibly contributed to it. There is always a root cause and I was just trying to figure out why it happened. It could have just happened from over use but the pedal stroke on that side was not good
Quote Reply
Re: injury that may have stemmed from bike fit- looking for new fit advice [seadocha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most people have one leg longer than the other, consequently when looking at slow motion it is not altogether strange that ones leg is moving away or towards the top tube. I have to have a longer spindle on one of my pedals to correct, hower I rode thousands and thousands of miles without a problem with no minor correction.
My question was more that you thought both fitters were incorerrect and you were. Which you very well could be. However if you had two fitters you were not confident in I am not so sure the same thing will not happen a third time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How is your hip flexibility on the side that you're seeing tracking issues with? The root cause of the tracking issue might not be anything bigger than that. I have major flexibility issues in my right hip and my knee tracking sucks. However, my fitter made it very clear that messing with the fit just to address that is not very smart.

Also, everybody is different but my knee tracking has never been the cause of knee pain for me.
Quote Reply