Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

injury broken ankle. - keeps bruising and swelling after 6 months
Quote | Reply
Hi guys, looking to see if there anyone with similar experiences.

Around 6months ago I broke my ankle, and had it operated. I believe the fractured bone is called tibia ( outside of the leg).

The surgery went well, and recovery was ok. I have been gradually increasing my training load.

For the entire duration it has kept swelling up, which should be fairly normal. But it is also bruising, at the moment the outside of my leg around and below the scar is purple....

my physio thinks it's from a twist or over training.

The pain is moderate.
Last edited by: n00b: Oct 24, 16 4:24
Quote Reply
Re: injury broken ankle. - keeps bruising and swelling after 6 months [n00b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You need to follow with your operating surgeon.

The bone you (likely) broke is the fibula

Often there is some diastasis with a lateral ankle fracture that is not (or poorly) addressed with surgery and can lead to ankle instability and chronic swelling (despite a well healed fibular fracture).

Best of luck

Re: injury broken ankle. - keeps bruising and swelling after 6 months [n00b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it depends on your age, severity of the break and type of surgery.

My wife broke her ankle late December 2015. Surgery was a plate with 8 screws. She's mid forties and Dr told her recovery would be 12-18 months to feel back to normal. Basically bones would heal quickly 2-3 months and she could do whatever as long as she could tolerate pain/swelling. All the little stabilizer muscles have been severely stretched and need to heal/strengthen.

She's feeling pretty good and swelling has become less and less frequent. I'm guessing the Dr was spot on and it'll be just over 1 year and she'll be confident in it again and back to "normal"
Quote Reply
Re: injury broken ankle. - keeps bruising and swelling after 6 months [paulzale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
paulzale wrote:
I think it depends on your age, severity of the break and type of surgery.

My wife broke her ankle late December 2015. Surgery was a plate with 8 screws. She's mid forties and Dr told her recovery would be 12-18 months to feel back to normal. Basically bones would heal quickly 2-3 months and she could do whatever as long as she could tolerate pain/swelling. All the little stabilizer muscles have been severely stretched and need to heal/strengthen.

She's feeling pretty good and swelling has become less and less frequent. I'm guessing the Dr was spot on and it'll be just over 1 year and she'll be confident in it again and back to "normal"

Thanks I will have a look up with the doc..

BTW I'm late thirties, closer to 40 than 35 :-)

The rest of my ankle is healed up nicely, and stability issues are minimal.
Quote Reply
Re: injury broken ankle. - keeps bruising and swelling after 6 months [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rroof wrote:
You need to follow with your operating surgeon.

The bone you (likely) broke is the fibula

Often there is some diastasis with a lateral ankle fracture that is not (or poorly) addressed with surgery and can lead to ankle instability and chronic swelling (despite a well healed fibular fracture).

Best of luck

Thanks. I will follow up with the doc, and proceed to see my training as rehab. luckily cycling causes less issues than running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had an asshat run over my ankle (on purpose) with his pickup truck.

Distal Fracture of the Fibula, requiring Open Reduction Internal Fixation; ie: plate and 5 screws.

Surgery was July 5, 2010 (42 years old). I was in the pool as soon as the cast was off, and on the trainer a little after that, once I was in the walking boot.

It was tight, sore, and week for a long time. I didn't attempt running until late October.

It took a long time for the swelling to go down, but I don't remember having additional swelling. I think I has some bruising (pooling) after running, but nothing significant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The tibia is the large shin bone in the front of your leg. I broke that back in 2011 and it took me a full year to get back into good running shape, and I didn't even attempt a jog until at least 6 months after the break, if I recall. You probably didn't fracture your tibia but if you did, then I would suggest taking it easy until you don't see any bruising/soreness (and follow your doc's advice)

What has worked best for me in terms of running after injuries is following the Barry P plan (running every day) starting off with very low volume (i.e. 5/10/15 minutes) and slowly increasing 10% per week and adjusting according to my body's reaction.

Good luck!

Strava
Quote Reply