Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

inexpensive watch that shows pace and time of day?
Quote | Reply
My Forerunner 305 just passed away. To replace it, I'm getting an iPhone app (not sure which one yet) that records distance, time, pace, etc. However, I'm messing around with different cadence and stride length, so I want to easily be able to see pace while I am running. I will not look at the phone while running.

In order of importance, all I want in the watch is:
(1) measure accurate pace
(2) display time of day
(3) price
(4) easy to read with sunglasses on
(5) small / light

Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: inexpensive watch that shows pace and time of day? [tumult] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garmin 210 I guess will do all that for you. Dont know what you mean by "inexpensive" but "accurate pace" kinda presupposes GPS or at least a well calibrated foot pod.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here you go.....

1) If you're referring to "current pace" and not "average pace", there is no GPS watch that will accurately measure this unless you are running absolutely straight in a sunny open field with no trees or buildings. Focus on average pace and learn to recognize your current pace by effort. Practice doing this on the track. Every runner should.

2) Wear a Timex Ironman watch on your left arm and your GPS watch on your right.

3) The Garmin 220 w/o the heart rate monitor option. Retail is like $225 and I found it at my local sports store for 15% off. If you live in the SF Bay Area, message me.

4) "Easy to read" implies a larger screen. Nike+ Sportswatch has a large display.

5) I think the Garmin 220 is the best I've ever seen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the Garmin 10 is what you are looking for. You can get one for less that $130.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: inexpensive watch that shows pace and time of day? [walnutcreek tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
walnutcreek tri wrote:

1) If you're referring to "current pace" and not "average pace", there is no GPS watch that will accurately measure this unless you are running absolutely straight in a sunny open field with no trees or buildings. Focus on average pace and learn to recognize your current pace by effort. Practice doing this on the track. Every runner should.

I'm just experimenting with my cadence and stride length. I want to compare 5-miles at high cadence / short strides with 5-miles at my natural cadence and stride length. So, the measurement does not need to be accurate, it just needs to be precise.

walnutcreek tri wrote:
4) "Easy to read" implies a larger screen. Nike+ Sportswatch has a large display.

Not really. My problem is reading LCD displays with my sunglasses on. I'd be nice to not have that problem, but maybe even Garmin does not have a solution.

walnutcreek tri wrote:
5) I think the Garmin 220 is the best I've ever seen.

Everyone seems to like Garmin devices.
I was very satisfied with my Forerunner 305. And it lasted almost forever. I got caught in a very light rain shower. In fact, so light, I didn't bother to protect the watch (normally I'd stuff it in my pocket). So, the rain might have killed it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin FR10, does instant pace or average, the instant is taken over a short average and rounded to 5s. Anerage can either be lap average (auto or manual) or whole run.

Water proof too so you can use it as a day to day watch and swim in it unlike other running watches.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about another 305? I have two, one for running and the backup mounted to my bike.

Nanoo Nanoo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timex Marathon GPS:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...in-depth-review.html

$99 MSRP, and can usually find for $80 or less on Amazon.
Quote Reply
Re: inexpensive watch that shows pace and time of day? [Tri Nut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Nut wrote:
I think the Garmin 10 is what you are looking for. You can get one for less that $130.

^^^^This Garmin Forerunner 10

Check out DC Rainmaker's review (I got mine based on this and have been very happy with the watch)

My only complaint is that it's hard to switch between speed (mph) and pace (min/mile), so it's really a single sport watch.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: inexpensive watch that shows pace and time of day? [-W-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-W- wrote:
How about another 305? I have two, one for running and the backup mounted to my bike.

While I am actually running, I realized the only data I want to know is pace. To help me find my best running style, I am focused on pace.
All the other data is interesting, but it can be analyzed after the workout. So, I figure collect all the running data (except bpm) on an iPhone app for $20. Or, spend $300 on another 305.
But perhaps the running apps are really bad. I am looking into this right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're open to buying a 305 used they can be had for well under $50 on eBay. My back-up/bike 305 was purchased on eBay. Not the greatest condition but works fine.

Nanoo Nanoo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1st of all, sorry about the 305. I've got one, love it. But it's getting old and I've been thinking about what I'll do when it dies/no longer keeps a charge long enough for my long runs/rides...

Refurb 305, $140
http://g.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/31168/Fitness-For-Runners-.html

Refurb 310XT, $165
http://g.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/31172/For-Multi-Sport-.html

Refurb 210, $137, bring your own HR strap
http://g.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/31168/Fitness-For-Runners-.html

Quote Reply