Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

hrm
Quote | Reply
hello all:

i realize that there are a bunch of previous posts on hrm's. and i think i've read them all. but, it seems that the discussions are always between polar and timex... does anybody use the nike hrm's?
for example the triax c8?

i am just getting into tracking my hr during my training and imagine i would like to stay pretty basic with features.
i have a seperate computer for my bike.

lastly, not the most critical, but the nike looks/feels much better and the price is good.

silly question: do all hrm's use a chest strap? is this because of accuracy? is it not possible for the watch to read the pulse from your wrist?! do people swim with their hrm?

any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
thank you.
marc
Last edited by: batschelet: Mar 2, 04 4:56
Quote Reply
Re: nike hrm? [batschelet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to use the old hrm Triax 100 but have switched to Polar.

The nike might look/feel better but that's all it is... look and feel. I find the quality of heart rate measurement on my cheapo Polar A3 is better and more consistent than on the Nike. I've had nothing but problems with Nike in terms of chest strap battery life (about 25% or less of Nike's claimed batter length) and reliable/consistent readings.

Unless they've improved their hrms with the new series I'd spend my money on a Polar.
Quote Reply
Re: nike hrm? [johnboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Unless they've improved their hrms with the new series I'd spend my money on a Polar.[/reply]

thanks johnboy.
the few comments/reviews i have found about the nike hrms often mention that the new series are much improved... so i wonder.
some issues i have with the polar:
- if i understand correctly it is a pain in the booty to change the battery. need to send it in to polar. that's crazy!
- doesn't seem that durable/scratch resistant.
- they are big! i'm skinny with skinny wrists (6'1" 130lbs.) - and the polars and timex's are huge for me. nike at least makes a smaller women's version.

another question:
with the polars that enable you to download data to your computer. is anybody using a mac with this? can't seem to find any info on this. or is this pc only?
no tri athletes out ther using apple?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also had a Nike Triax 100 and was / am unhappy with it. Poor and worsening accuracy, buttons got hard to press over the first year. It's in for repairs now and I would much rather they just gave me my money back. Have tried others and think that at least as far as the accuracy thing goes, they are superior.

Deke
Quote Reply
Re: nike hrm? [deke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really liked my Nike HRM - I forget what model it was now. No problems over a couple of years. Unfortunately I left it at the pool :(

In Reply To:
another question:
with the polars that enable you to download data to your computer. is anybody using a mac with this? can't seem to find any info on this. or is this pc only?
no tri athletes out ther using apple?!

I have a Polar S510, and I was interested in doing this. I haven't found any software for the Mac that will handle acquiring or analyzing Polar HRM data. I did write Polar and they said that their software was for PC only and indicated no plans to make Mac software. I went so far as to ask for data specifications to know how to interpret the data if I wrote my own program, but never heard anything more. I suppose I could work on reverse engineering the problem, but just haven't had the time or energy to spend on this yet.

For now, your best bet is to run a program like Virtual PC and use the PC software. If you're using the Sonic Link model, just be sure to get a good mic as the internal mic on my iBook isn't capable of producing accurate and consistent sound captures for the application.

Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: nike hrm? [AJK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote]... For now, your best bet is to run a program like Virtual PC and use the PC software...[/quote]

that's sad. there are some details about setting this up here, for those interested:
http://www.cyclingforums.com/t33318.html

hmm, i've been getting more and more excited about getting a polar 720 or 610, but without mac support it just doesn't seem worth it.
how do you like your 510?
Last edited by: batschelet: Mar 1, 04 13:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this gives me hope:
http://www.otag.co.uk/TrainingLog/index.htm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for pointing out that link. Also gives me hope. Will have to check it out tonight at home (PCs only at work).

As for my 510, I have been a bit frustrated about getting the cycling functions to work (yes, I know I should take the transmitter apart and boost the power), and to start up after the swim in a race. Right now I use it purely as an HRM, and skip the bike functionality, but it has worked very well for me. Have a Mavic WinTech on order, and if that works well, will ditch the bike functions of the Polar in favour of that. Then I may consider one of Polar's running units instead of the bike unit.

On a side note to the thread that complained about poor service from Polar, I returned mine for service (two missing buttons) and they replaced pretty much my entire unit for no charge other than S&H, without a receipt or any other warranty documentation.

Ultimately, one of these centuries... SRM cranks.

Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hmm, confused. first, what do you mean by?:
[reply]As for my 510, I have been a bit frustrated about getting the cycling functions to work (yes, I know I should take the transmitter apart and boost the power)[/reply]

are the cycling functions just not adequate? don't understand.
the more i look into it, the more intriqued i am by the polar 720. it seems like such an advantage to have everything (cycling + running) in one computer - rather than one hrm for running + one for cycling.
no?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, the bicycling functions are adequate and mirror any other bicycle computer system. I just have had bad luck with the system starting up and registering speed when I'm riding, especially when starting the ride after the swim. The HRM functions work just fine though.

Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for the clarification andrew.
still curious what you mean here:
[.reply]yes, I know I should take the transmitter apart and boost the power)[./reply]
is there a way to boost the signal?
Quote Reply
polar s720i [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hmm, well i finally had a chance to see the polar 720i in person today. As much as i am intrigued by all of it's functionality it is, unfortunately, huge for my small wrists. the 610 was a little better. can't imagine training with them on.

what do women with smaller wrist sizes on this forum wear? even the simpler polars were relatively large.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a way to boost the signal. It has been discussed here in some detail in the past. Check this thread. There's a link to another source of information about how to do this. Good luck.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=62259

Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a S710i, which is just like the S720i but without the metal case. I find it an invaluable tool. Being able to download complete data on my bike and run workouts is fantastic. I think the included Polar Precision Performance software makes a great training log. Getting the wireless bike functions can be difficult, like all wireless systems. It'll be interesting to see if the Mavic Wintech is compatible. The cadence sensor for that system looks suspiciously like the Polar. I like having cycling functions on my 710, not because I like having them both on one unit since I still run a cycle computer, but I like being able to download the cycling data.

Unfortunately for you, you run a Mac which makes the software hard for you to run, and it sounds like you are of slight build, and the Polars are a bulky unit. They are relatively light for their size, although the 720 might be heavier with the metal case, you should call around and see if anyone still has a 710.

I think Polar customer service is excellent. Personally, the $17 (I only pay $10 since I can drop it off) for a new battery, complete testing, and warranty is worth it for a $200-300 HRM that I know I am going to be using in the water.
Quote Reply
Re: hrm [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for all of your advice and help. i really appreciate it.

it seams i am between the 610 and 210.
basically trying to figure out if it is really worth it for me download the data and use the software (which everybody comments on how much they like).

i've been veering away from the 720 because of 2 reasons:
the size (i have very small wrists)
seems like the bike functions have some issues with the wireless connection and might be simpler to just use a dedicated bike computer.

efernand:
thanks for the suggestion about the 710. i'll check it out.
also i think your comments on the cost for replacing the battery make sense. it's less the $17 cost and more the idea of being without the watch for a week or so! but that's not really such a problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I just have had bad luck with the system starting up and registering speed when I'm riding, especially when starting the ride after the swim. The HRM functions work just fine though.

Two things to check on this are to ensure the bike functions are enabled prior to the swim and to disable the auto start/stop feature. I just did my first race with my 720i and didn't turn off the auto start/stop and had some funky splits.

Also, I had been using a Polar Accurex II and I find the 720i gives much better HR readings and I have yet to get any interferrence. With my Accurex, there was one area where I run that the signal would *ALWAYS* drop out.

- Ken
Quote Reply
Re: nike hrm? [kvelarde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently bought the 720i but had problems with it picking up the bike sensors and it was showing very high heart rate readings (200+) even when the chest strap was plenty wet. The dealer said he thought the receiver (watch) was probably bad. I'm sure this is isolated but the bigger issue to me was that it was HUGE. I sent it back and got a 610i that I am happy with. Smaller and I like being able to graph my workouts.
Quote Reply
610i [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just wanted to say thank you to all for the great help and advice.

i got a 610 yesterday and love it so far. the interface is really easy and convenient. and the 610 is sufficiently smaller than the 720 so i can actually wear it on my skinny wrists while training!

merci

-marc
Quote Reply