Quote Reply
Re: how to ride slower [randomtriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the best side brag convo i'v seen "i'm too fast...what do I do?"
Quote Reply
Re: how to ride slower [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cbr shadow wrote:
This seems like such a strange problem and is hard to relate to. I'd say if riding at high speeds is causing you issues you should do more of it until you're comfortable at those speeds. In a race you'll benefit from being comfortable at high speeds.
If the route you're on isn't smooth enough (you mentioned cracks in the road) maybe find a different smoother route? I'd do that before doing any of the above.
There's always the very safe route - TrainerRoad!
Not sure why he's avoiding high speeds. I am because there are other trail users and a high speed cyclist can't be zig zagging between them at 25 mph. It isn't safe. (Stopped riding on the roads 2 years ago, before it killed me.)
Quote Reply
Re: how to ride slower [Stevie G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40kph is not fast I agree. It's my IM70.3 pace (and many others) and not very fast if in group rides with drafting.

But my local roads don't have long enough stretch of road that's safe. The only long flat road we have around here is under construction (some new bridge being built over it) do lots of road works and construction vehicles.

Trainer / rollers are not the answer. I still need real on road training

Please help if you have constructive advise
Quote Reply
Re: how to ride slower [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want to train slow (safe) and race fast (well... less safe I guess)

No matter how you dice it. Cycling is a dangerous sport. Why take the risk when there is no incentive?
Quote Reply
Re: how to ride slower [CaptainSnail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My fat bike reply to you earlier was not a joke.

If you have some trails or gravel around, it really can be a great way to get solid, high quality training but without tangling with cars or high speeds. Even on less traveled roads, the big tires (at the right pressure) are really comfly. You won't go fast, but your aerobic engine will never know the difference.

Not a fat bike, but this is what I use for my road (and gravel) training. The drop bar makes all the difference, and it works great.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: how to ride slower [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
CaptainSnail wrote:
Crashed twice going at 40+kph on training rides.

Are you crashing because you're going 40kph, or because of other factors?

IIWY: I'd figure out what's causing the repeated crashes, and resolve that issue(s) before I did something to alter my bike/wheels.

x2. Get some handles or get a trainer.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: how to ride slower [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
CaptainSnail wrote:

Since aero is the main resistance factor, I suppose a fat bike wouldn't slow me down unless I severely deflate the tires?

Aero is the main resistance with most narrow tired tri bikes.

Not so with fat bikes.
The rolling resistance of those tires at lower pressures is quite significant.
And the big tires themselves provide quite a bit of aero resistance at somewhat higher speeds.

^^^^^This.

I had to ride my mtb when my tri bike was in the shop and between the tires/gearing/lack of aerobars I lost ~5mph.

The fat tire bike will also roll over those road imperfections much easier.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All these posts, and no one has said it yet:

Disc Brakes.

Should be good for a couple dozen km/hr reduction or so-- amiright?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
randomtriguy wrote:
Or this. Seen today in imtx bike racks

Aerobars!

https://mobile.twitter.com/...520644644864/photo/1

Good to see they have ST approved BTA hydration.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride a tandem with a passenger that doesn't pedal too hard. It is a killer workout. You could also get one and mount wind catching, heavy ballast.
Quote Reply
Re: how to ride slower [mt2u77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently so. Gatorskins are probably OPs best bet for reducing speed without substantially changing the nature of the ride.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If that's the reason of your crash. Taking 50-100W out won't help much. That has happened to me twice, once at 15mph and another time at 25mph. I couldn't avoid crashing at 15mph despite the slower speed. Once your front wheel is stuck, you are already crashing.

Wider tires help avoid front wheel getting caught. Riding with flat pedals allows you bail out more gracefully.

CaptainSnail wrote:
wheel got stuck in a crack and flipped over handle bars
next time.... bike frame cracked while riding (bike inspected before riding)
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Apr 22, 17 22:23
Quote Reply
Re: how to ride slower [bloodyshogun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to maintain the same riding position.

I think the consensus is to go with a fat bike and do whatever I can to mimic the TT position...

And also wear some sort of protection gear :/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CaptainSnail wrote:
Anyone have thoughts on how to reduce the speed on training sessions?

Crashed twice going at 40+kph on training rides. No fun at all.

airhubs are way too expensive. I am looking for a 50w-100w reduction.

First of all, interesting system that airhub. I thought about that already 10 years ago. You could use that in the city for example. Quite expensive indeed.

But another thought: don't you think you increase the crash-probability by using a speedreducer? I mean especially if you do this on your tt-bike. The moment you remove the speedreducer (at the latest in a race: you should'nt forget that :-) ) you ride surprisingly fast and you're not used to that speed...
Quote Reply
Re: how to ride slower [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been training indoor extensively due to my surgeries (don't wanna risk a crash after my first craah... but still managed to do so on my second ride out...). My HIM pace is up by about 40-50w...

The first time out it was freaking scary cause I was catching up to cars that passed me and then slowed down (50kph zone). Plus TT is such a forward position it's awkward...

Sound like I'm bragging now... pls allow me to do so a little I was (and still am) been in a cave for a year.

But back on topic I order a shoulder pad from CarbonTek (football pad) for use during training. I'm reading up on how airplanes use airbrakes to slowdown...

Maybe I should rewatch Ironman for ideas :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
randomtriguy wrote:
Or this. Seen today in imtx bike racks

Aerobars!

https://mobile.twitter.com/...520644644864/photo/1

.... he rode 7:30 and finished in 17:10 after midnight. might be regretting that decision!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am reiterating what others have said and you should learn how to handle your bike. And also to get more comfortable riding outside and with car traffic.

How you described your scrashes is not due to speed and your inability to avoid or mitigate road hazards.

One thing that really teaches good bike/handling is taking a mountain bike and hitting an off-road trail. Your gonna hit trees or other obstacles if you don't learn how to keep calm. And the speeds are much slower than on the road. I've had crashes on my MTB at less than 8mph speed before. Just messed up is all and it happens. But if you freak out it is over and you're going done.

Just yesterday I was near the end of my ride and came upon a road hazards that normally wasn't there on my regular route. Unavoidable since I didn't see it until it was too late (ride this road for years and it is always smooth but some utility work tore it up and no warning signs for it...I wouldn't want to even run over that with my car let alone a bike). I stood up, and just let my joints absorb the impact compensating as needed. Got through just fine but I suspect a less experienced person would've lost it. I did have the oh shit moment though.
Quote Reply
Re: how to ride slower [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Good advice but I don't want to learn by exposuing myself to dangers of mountain biking.

I got a set of rollers and it's a bit of a handful. So I must admit I am short on bike handling, I don't deny.

12 other people crashed on the same day at the section where I crash. Some crashes are avoidable and some aren't. I want to take the danger out of the equation, which is speed. The contractor paid damages but that's besides the point.

So put another way, how should a newbie who can ride 40kph on a TT bike learn to improve his TT bike skills without hurting himself?

Actively - slowdown with gator tires and improve bike handling skill
Passive - wear gear

Anything else?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CaptainSnail wrote:
Thanks. Good advice but I don't want to learn by exposuing myself to dangers of mountain biking.

I got a set of rollers and it's a bit of a handful. So I must admit I am short on bike handling, I don't deny.

12 other people crashed on the same day at the section where I crash. Some crashes are avoidable and some aren't. I want to take the danger out of the equation, which is speed. The contractor paid damages but that's besides the point.

So put another way, how should a newbie who can ride 40kph on a TT bike learn to improve his TT bike skills without hurting himself?

Passive - wear gear

Anything else?

I'm not sure where you live or what you have in mind when people say Mountain biking, but my experience is that there are no inherent dangers to it. I am one of the clumsiest people you could ever meet...I have fallen off my bike on the trainer, and even I can go mountain biking! Start with the easy trails and work your way up. I fall CONSTANTLY, but am usually going so slow that I'm laughing the entire time (as are my friends who ride with me!). It's a great way to learn body control as you weave in and out of trees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CaptainSnail wrote:
how should a newbie who can ride 40kph on a TT bike learn to improve his TT bike skills without hurting himself?

Passive - wear gear

Anything else?

Ride more. Learn to corner better. Improve your vision and decision-making. Ride on dirt or grass. Get better at relaxing through problems on the road.

On cornering and vision
https://www.bookdepository.com/Gear-Higher-Keith-Code/9780965045001

On not crashing in general (mainly for group rides, but some info for general use)
https://medium.com/@johntomlinson/staying-up-607a3bf88de4

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: how to ride slower [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:
I'm not sure where you live or what you have in mind when people say Mountain biking, but my experience is that there are no inherent dangers to it. I am one of the clumsiest people you could ever meet...I have fallen off my bike on the trainer, and even I can go mountain biking! Start with the easy trails and work your way up. I fall CONSTANTLY, but am usually going so slow that I'm laughing the entire time (as are my friends who ride with me!). It's a great way to learn body control as you weave in and out of trees.

x2
(unless, of course, you are deliberately jumping off cliffs ... )

Also, mountain biking can REALLY improve your bike handling skills, skills that transfer nicely to the roads too.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: how to ride slower [Stevie G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stevie G wrote:
Learn how to ride a bike then come back

40 kph is not fast

^^^^ This

Take the summer off road cycling, get a mountain bike, and get comfortable off road. Once you can mb without a problem biking on the road is ez (still more dangerous imo because cars).

OlympicHopeful.com - Interviews with aspiring Olympians | Strava
Supported by: Skechers|Zwift|Squirt Lube|TYR|Rubber Ducky Sunscreen|Riplaces|MultiSport Canada|Joshus Bikes
“More often than not bad luck meant bad plans” -Joe Abercrombie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
40kph is quickish on the flat, but not that quick in grand scheme of things (downhill, tailwind or group sprint finish at the café)

How'd you crash?

1. Train with me if you want to go slow.

2. 50 psi in 28mmm tires?

3. Is your brake rubbing?

4. Wear a jacket with the zipper open

5. Indoor trainer. You'll go like 0 mph, regardless of how hard you push the pedals.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: how to ride slower [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of my favorite threads since "Strange Denizens of the Pool."
Quote Reply

Prev Next