Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

how many bikes can you fit in the back of a cargo van?
Quote | Reply
We need to haul about 30 bikes and are renting cargo vans to do the job. By dimensions, it looks like the average van cargo length is about 10.5 feet long (from back door to back of the seats) and a little under 4.5 feet wide. What do you guys think? I was thinking about 4 vans since I think if we get them just right we could do 8 bikes a van? Or is that no reasonable?
Quote Reply
Re: how many bikes can you fit in the back of a cargo van? [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Full size vans??? Front wheels off and use these bolted to 2x64, MEC sells a cheaper version.

I bet you can get 12 bikes in one van this way... also more stable.
http://www.rei.com/...ounts-locking-clutch

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: how many bikes can you fit in the back of a cargo van? [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We got ten into a full-size van, for Rocketman. Put them all sideways, one behind the other, with bike-box foam inserts between them for protection.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: how many bikes can you fit in the back of a cargo van? [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you have to take the front wheel off?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This depends what you mean by "fit"

I am certainly sure you can pack 30 bikes in a van, I would go to harbor freight and grab a bunch of moving blankets.
It is Tetris time!
Quote Reply
Re: how many bikes can you fit in the back of a cargo van? [duvivr6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
duvivr6 wrote:
This depends what you mean by "fit"
I am certainly sure you can pack 30 bikes in a van, I would go to harbor freight and grab a bunch of moving blankets.
Ditto.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take 45 bikes, they do not touch anything else plus gear in my van.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
onceatriathlet3 wrote:
We need to haul about 30 bikes and are renting cargo vans to do the job.
In Texas, it is not uncommon to see a van or pick-up truck with 75+ bikes heading towards Mexico. Smile

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
foam mats covering the floor.
all pedals off. all front wheels off.
lots and lots and lots of blankets. wrap each bike in blankets. duct tape so the blankets don't shift.
put them in sideways, odd-numbered bikes are upside-down bike and pointing to one side, even-numbered bikes are right side up and pointing to the other side.
bungy-cord some of the seatposts together for a bit more stability.
lots more blankets for the front wheels and put them on top of the bikes (or beside if there is room).

i don't know if this would get 30 bikes into a 10.5 x 4.5 area.

i wouldn't try this myself. i am not nearly careful enough and would eventually scratch a couple of them.

I go on a one-way bike tour each year; bike from Ottawa to Kennebunkport, and return in a bus. the organizer rents a cube van and we put the bikes in it for the return. Usually 40 or so bikes. They fit in pretty easily - no need to remove pedals or wheels. All the bikes are put in upright, most are facing forward. Some are wrapped in blankets. We try to put old cardboard between the others. We bungy-cord some of them together and some of them to the rails, etc, on the inside walls. I am not sure what size cube van he uses, maybe 14" ?

ps, have you thought about insurance implications, just in case?

run well, run happy
george
Quote Reply