Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
how do you get enough protein?
Quote | Reply
I'm looking to clean up my diet a bit and it seems one of the toughest things for me is getting enough protein in my diet. On my best days it seems like I'm still 20g short of hitting my target with a 50-25-25 ratio of carbs, fats, proteins.
Is it a matter of supplementing with powder? How do ensure you get enough?
Quote Reply
Re: how do you get enough protein? [Ellsworth53T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use protein powder smoothie for breakfast usually. Sometimes during the day, if I'm still deficient, I'll mix some up with water and sip it at work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many calories are you aiming for on the days where you don't get enough protein?
Maybe 50-25-25 does not work. At least on these days.
I target 60-20-20 and on a big day is is tough to keep the ratio of protein.
My guess is that just eating a lot of protein is plenty. Even if it does not hit the %.
Quote Reply
Re: how do you get enough protein? [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I target the percentage (and total calories) based upon no workouts. Then anything I burn is in addition to my goal, which like you say is probably a higher carb ratio day. I'm just trying to hit 25% of a base of 2100 calories a day.
Quote Reply
Re: how do you get enough protein? [Ellsworth53T [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is still 130 grams of protein- shouldn't be that hard to hit.
200 might be hard to hit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I supplement my nutrition with hemp seed powder and vanilla Nitro Fusion powder (protein from pea, amaranth, quinoa and artichoke). A serving of each gives me 11g and 21g of additional protein respectively. If I need more, I just add more to water, juice or a smoothie.
Quote Reply
Re: how do you get enough protein? [Recoverie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess you and bootsie are right. Looking at my totals for today. I just hit 136g. I got there.....by just adding a last scoop to some water.

Maybe its not so hard then if I'm vigilant. The nuts-for-snacks route just isn't enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I generally hit about 80-90grams per day. Sometimes lower. Mostly plant-based (and hence lower bioavailability).

Whilst the literature is clear on what protein does for retention of muscle mass, recovery etc, *personally* I have a theory that it's role is overstated for endurance athletes.

Try falling short of "targets". What happens to recovery, performance and bodyweight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greek yogurt. Lots of it :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear you on adding that last scoop. What I've found is those 'recommended servings' on the protein powders (or any food for that matter) is the bare minimum to sustain life. I don't have evidence to back this up, but, I'm sure those serving sizes are not listed for people who are very active in endurance sports (like tri's and dus's). Before and after a long or intense exercise session, I've found I need to add more than the 'recommended serving' for better recovery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 eggs every morning. Kiefer smoothie. Oatmeal with coconut oil, honey, and walnuts is how I start my morning. Work out or not.

I find that I personally need to shoot for 33-33-33 ratio. I need a lot more fat and protein than I originally thought when I first started training. My recovery and training gains have really gone up since making it more equal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont have to work very hard to hit 200g of protein a day... but low carb, low FOMAD works for me (except I process dairy fine)

typical day:

three eggs, one italian sausage (50g)
two 0/2% greek yogurt cups. (20g)... why cant we get individual serving 18% greek yogurt cups?
hearty homemade soup + garden salad (30g)
half a can of tuna n crackers (20g)
cobb salad (50g)
post workout smoothie (30g)

(Yes, I don't eat enough fruit)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For gods sake, eat some decent food to get a bit more protein. You don't need powders.

And where did you get this crap about 50 - 25 - 25 ? Don't tell me some stupid government guideline.

There are so many good healthy sources of protein there is absolutely no need to use powders.

Even vegetarians and vegans can get plenty of protein without resorting to powders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't find my protein needs to be that demanding. I get about 60g of protein from nuts and beans mostly in a vegan diet. Carb it up
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the most important things to remember when it comes to getting in enough protein, particularly on a clean diet is -

Protein doesn't just mean meat!

Yes meat is a dense source, but there are plenty of other sources.
To give an example, even some slices of bread give you 3.5g-4g per slice! I don't have too much bread, but you get the idea.

Nuts, seeds etc. are other dense sources. Legumes etc. You get the idea?

I looked into this more when I was considering whether my midday (breakfast) smoothie was giving me enough protein as I had never really counted.

It loosely had

coconut milk, spinach/kale, flaxseed, mix of other seeds, 3 large eggs, a tonnes of spices such as tumeric and cinnamon (for gut and metabolic health) etc.

I was wondering whether I needed an extra shot of whey. The shake on its own came in at 35g at least, so having hit the 30g (and easily enough leucine to hit the leucine switch and tip me into muscle synthesis) there was no need for more.

Running analysis based in Leeds UK.
http://www.trimechanics.co.uk

https://www.facebook.com/trimechanics
Quote Reply
Re: how do you get enough protein? [Richard H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Richard H wrote:
For gods sake, eat some decent food to get a bit more protein. You don't need powders.

And where did you get this crap about 50 - 25 - 25 ? Don't tell me some stupid government guideline.

There are so many good healthy sources of protein there is absolutely no need to use powders.

Even vegetarians and vegans can get plenty of protein without resorting to powders.

+1
Quote Reply
Re: how do you get enough protein? [Tri-Mechanics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Mechanics wrote:
One of the most important things to remember when it comes to getting in enough protein, particularly on a clean diet is -

Protein doesn't just mean meat!

Yes meat is a dense source, but there are plenty of other sources.
To give an example, even some slices of bread give you 3.5g-4g per slice! I don't have too much bread, but you get the idea.

Nuts, seeds etc. are other dense sources. Legumes etc. You get the idea?

I looked into this more when I was considering whether my midday (breakfast) smoothie was giving me enough protein as I had never really counted.

It loosely had

coconut milk, spinach/kale, flaxseed, mix of other seeds, 3 large eggs, a tonnes of spices such as tumeric and cinnamon (for gut and metabolic health) etc.

I was wondering whether I needed an extra shot of whey. The shake on its own came in at 35g at least, so having hit the 30g (and easily enough leucine to hit the leucine switch and tip me into muscle synthesis) there was no need for more.

In 100 grams of pasta there is 13 grams of protein. There is 11 to 13 grams of protein in pizza dough depending on the sort.

But you don't want to be eating too much of these refined carbs.

Don't forget fish, shellfish, shrimps, crab, lobster are great for protein and vitamins, healthy fats and oils.

Then you have eggs and if you want protein in a drink there is milk, cows or goats.

100 grams of peanuts is 26 grams protein. 100 grams of cashew nuts is 18 grams protein. So if you need an easy to prepare snack and a drink within 30 seconds of training it is a lot easier to open a packet of nuts and a carton of milk than it is mixing powders. The nuts might even have electrolytes in them if you buy the special athletes packets.
Last edited by: Richard H: Oct 18, 14 2:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hunned thou bananas like alllllll day juice up on sum pineapple hit da starfruit rite quick skip dat powder bs ya all good bro rollin smooth just feelin it
Quote Reply
Re: how do you get enough protein? [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wut?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Richard H wrote:

jesus, man, calm down. im just looking for some suggestions on getting some additional protein in my diet. save your anger for a lance thread or something.

Richard H wrote:

the 50-25-25 ratio or something close is just what ive read as a good mix of calories to aim for. i'm not sitting here waiting for congress to vote on a new regulation to change my diet.

Richard H wrote:

please elaborate. my wife is vegetarian meaning that i am very often vegetarian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Richard H wrote:
100 grams of peanuts is 26 grams protein. 100 grams of cashew nuts is 18 grams protein. So if you need an easy to prepare snack and a drink within 30 seconds of training it is a lot easier to open a packet of nuts and a carton of milk than it is mixing powders. The nuts might even have electrolytes in them if you buy the special athletes packets.

this post is more helpful than your last one. the crux of my post is that after a normal day, i am usually still short on my intake. i typically have nuts as a snack at work, however:

a serving of nuts is a handful, which on the package im looking at in front of me is 32g. this comes to 200 calories and 9g of protein. if i were to take in 100g of nuts at your suggestion, then yeah thats 28g of protein but 625 calories. (i wouldnt plan to run immediately after downing that many calories) its also 9g of saturated fat.

conversely, a scoop of whey is 26g of protein, 150 calories, and only 1g of saturated fat.

im not arguing the merits of whey versus nuts, or whey versus anything. im not a dietician. im just saying the nuts-alone route hasnt working for me. is there a reason that 625 calories of nuts a day is a good thing?
Quote Reply
Re: how do you get enough protein? [Tapeworm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tapeworm wrote:
I generally hit about 80-90grams per day. Sometimes lower. Mostly plant-based (and hence lower bioavailability).

Whilst the literature is clear on what protein does for retention of muscle mass, recovery etc, *personally* I have a theory that it's role is overstated for endurance athletes.

Try falling short of "targets". What happens to recovery, performance and bodyweight.

I think it's overstated as well.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ellsworth53T wrote:
Richard H wrote:

this post is more helpful than your last one. the crux of my post is that after a normal day, i am usually still short on my intake. i typically have nuts as a snack at work, however:

a serving of nuts is a handful, which on the package im looking at in front of me is 32g. this comes to 200 calories and 9g of protein. if i were to take in 100g of nuts at your suggestion, then yeah thats 28g of protein but 625 calories. (i wouldnt plan to run immediately after downing that many calories) its also 9g of saturated fat.

conversely, a scoop of whey is 26g of protein, 150 calories, and only 1g of saturated fat.

im not arguing the merits of whey versus nuts, or whey versus anything. im not a dietician. im just saying the nuts-alone route hasnt working for me. is there a reason that 625 calories of nuts a day is a good thing?

Have you said you are on a calorie restricted diet? Are you trying to lose weight? One assumes you train?

So why are you frightened of 600 or so calories?

There is nothing wrong with the fats in nuts.

Sorry you don't need whey powder?

I'm not advising you get all your protein from nuts just some of it. Get your protein from as wide a variety of foods as possible.

If you are trying to lose weight all the more reason to eat as wide a variety of foods as possible.

I fear you are brainwashed by the sports supplements industry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ellsworth53T wrote:
Richard H wrote:

jesus, man, calm down. im just looking for some suggestions on getting some additional protein in my diet. save your anger for a lance thread or something.

Richard H wrote:

the 50-25-25 ratio or something close is just what ive read as a good mix of calories to aim for. i'm not sitting here waiting for congress to vote on a new regulation to change my diet.

Richard H wrote:

please elaborate. my wife is vegetarian meaning that i am very often vegetarian

I'm not angry, just frustrated by how people are so misinformed and confused by marketing and the twisting of the facts by the food industry.

There is more protein in many foods than you think, bread pasta even pizza dough all contain protein.

If you are a vegetarian or a vegan and I assume by vegetarian you mean your wife is a real vegetarian and does not eat fish, some idiots call themselves vegetarian and they not only eat fish but bloody chicken, it is harder to get as much protein but still possible.

For reasons I don't have time or space for, nuts despite the number of calories and the fat content don't seem to be as fattening as the number of calories. 100grams of nuts is a lot of calories yes, but satisfying. Try eating 600 calories of pasta and see how heavy it is on the stomach, you wouldn't run on that.

Get a basic book or look it up on the internet, loads of foods vegetarians can eat contain plenty of protein.

Use whey powder if you want. Check it isn't contaminated, remember it is a waste product from the cheese making process, it is cheap and yes it is a very good form of protein. But you would be better off eating a wide variety of protein rich foods - that way you get all the other nutrients you need.

Tofu is vegetarian, so is quorn. Sorry quorn is made with free range eggs so although the vegetarian society accept it vegans can't eat it. How something made from eggs can be vegetarian beats me, perhaps the free range chickens never get eaten and are all given to vegans to look after when their egg laying days are over.

Anyway tofu is made from bean curd so unless creepy crawlies are harmed in the growing and picking of the beans even vegans can eat it.
Last edited by: Richard H: Oct 18, 14 9:08
Quote Reply
Re: how do you get enough protein? [afrizzledfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
afrizzledfry wrote:
Greek yogurt. Lots of it :)

This!

My Website || Twitter || Instagram
Quote Reply

Prev Next