Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: holy shit. cop kills 2 cyclists!! [cyclisto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Katy, Cathy and to everyone who knew the cyclists - we are all thinking of Matt and Kristy even if we've never met them before. We all have a common bond with them through this crazy sport of ours. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you, their other friends and their family. I can only imagine how horrible this is for all of you.
Quote Reply
Re: holy shit. cops kill 2 cyclists!! [cyclisto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dude, seriously - read your post a few times and think, "do I really mean that?"

There are a lot of people much more intimately impacted by this tragic accident than you - let's hope that they take a much higher road than you.
Last edited by: jar1635: Mar 11, 08 8:50
Quote Reply
Re: holy shit. cops kill 2 cyclists!! [jar1635] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Katy and anyone else who knew these cyclists. My deepest condolences on your loss, things like this should not happen but they do. We have lost people know to others on this board before, but this was the first account that brought me to tears. Be strong, cherish the memories.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: holy shit. cops kill 2 cyclists!! [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well fuck all.

Posted: Tuesday, 11 March 2008 6:17AM

Deputy in Fatal Bicyclist Crash Had Prior Driving Conviction

SAN JOSE (KCBS) -- The Santa Clara County deputy sheriff involved in a crash that killed two bicyclists had served probation for a drag racing conviction, state records show.

Deputy James Council, whose car crossed over a double yellow line on Stevens Canyon Road Sunday, was sentenced to 24 months of court probation in October of 2001 for a engaging in a speed contest the month before, according to DMV records. The 27-year-old had finished his punishment before being hired by the sheriff’s department in 2006.

The crash killed 30-year-old Matt Peterson and 31-year-old Kristianna Gough, and injured 20-year-old Christopher Knapp. Witnesses told the San Francisco Chronicle they heard Council say he had fallen asleep at the wheel.

Investigators with the California Highway Patrol said there is no evidence the deputy had lost consciousness while he was driving.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: holy shit. cop kills 2 cyclists!! [cyclisto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am relieved to see that the third rider, the 20-year-old German, is doing better.

The Chronicle says his condition at Stanford Hospital has been upgraded from "critical" to "stable."

My thoughts are with all of their families...
Quote Reply
Re: holy shit. cops kill 2 cyclists!! [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Well fuck all.

Posted: Tuesday, 11 March 2008 6:17AM

Deputy in Fatal Bicyclist Crash Had Prior Driving Conviction

SAN JOSE (KCBS) -- The Santa Clara County deputy sheriff involved in a crash that killed two bicyclists had served probation for a drag racing conviction, state records show.

Deputy James Council, whose car crossed over a double yellow line on Stevens Canyon Road Sunday, was sentenced to 24 months of court probation in October of 2001 for a engaging in a speed contest the month before, according to DMV records. The 27-year-old had finished his punishment before being hired by the sheriff’s department in 2006.

The crash killed 30-year-old Matt Peterson and 31-year-old Kristianna Gough, and injured 20-year-old Christopher Knapp. Witnesses told the San Francisco Chronicle they heard Council say he had fallen asleep at the wheel.

Investigators with the California Highway Patrol said there is no evidence the deputy had lost consciousness while he was driving.

Its worse than that Cathy, he has a prior DUI as well.

http://www.sfgate.com/...EVHT6I.DTL&tsp=1

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Re: holy shit. cops kill 2 cyclists!! [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are two parts to this story that I believe are being overlooked. First, as an on duty police officer, the cop needs to be held to a higher standard than what would normally be applied to someone "falling asleep at the wheel." Police officers are to be held beyond reproach, and when they screw up, their punishment needs to be more severe because the public at large has more at stake than with the mistakes of an average citizen.

Second, on this meandering road, (which I was riding on at 10:00 am on Saturday), what are the chances this guy would "fall asleep at the wheel" and hit the only people in the area? Plus or minus five seconds, and this wouldn't have been news. There are more likely explanations. I understand the cop deserves innocent until proven guilty, but I think he was drunk/stoned while on duty. Drunk people have a habit of steering their cars into what they're looking at, and I'm guessing that's what the cop did.

Lastly, I don't trust cops investigating themselves. The CHP isn't far enough removed to satisfy my interest as a concerned citizen. I hope this ends up in court where the public can have all of its questions answered.

My scared, pissed off, and defensive 2 cents.

-------------------------------
Ignorance is bliss until they take your bliss away.
Quote Reply
Re: holy shit. cops kill 2 cyclists!! [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This so completely distressing to me. It was bad enough to believe it was a freak accident, but if we we lost Matt and Kristy because we were paying someone who should not be behind the wheel to drive I'm going to be sick (again).

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: holy shit. cops kill 2 cyclists!! [sfdmnakdfs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so waddya think of your friend now? "never swears or drinks" huh. "nice young man" my ass.

looks like he'll get plenty of "infliction" behind bars, the motherfucker.

out of morbid curiosity, i anxiously await your response.

In Reply To:
I am deeply saddened by this story and have cried for both the victims as well as the driver. Ive been fortunate enough in my lifetime to not have experienced loss of this magnitude, or have taken a life. But I am sure that both are equally and terribly hard. As a person, I have a compassion and cry for the loss of beautiful lives and those who suffer their loss, and I don't even know these souls. I can only imagine how incredibly harder it may be if i were to take a life myself. Id already be saddened by the loss of life--- but to know that I caused all this pain and ruined these lives would truly kill me. I do not believe the course of action for recovery is to place blame and hate on the driver...and say such hateful things...it is more important to focus on yourself , and remembering a dear friend.
I do know the driver of the car on a personal level. He is a coworker of my sister who works in the court system, where he was also a baliff. She has gone on and on about what a kinder soul he has-- how he never swears, or even drinks. Ive never met him, but have heard great, sweet things of him throughout the years. He was released and sent home with a officer in crisis team to help him cope with his actions. He was said to be very emotional, and i'm sure his life will never be the same. Pending investigation his career will be put on hold. But he has to live with knowing he took a life everyday, weighed down with guilt and remorse. He is a nice young man...i hope for the best for him, as well as the friends and family of the victims. And also to remember countless other victims of other similar tragic accidents.
Quote Reply
Re: holy shit. cops kill 2 cyclists!! [pito00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
First, as an on duty police officer, the cop needs to be held to a higher standard than what would normally be applied to someone "falling asleep at the wheel." Police officers are to be held beyond reproach, and when they screw up, their punishment needs to be more severe because the public at large has more at stake than with the mistakes of an average citizen.

Man, I've tried to say that yesterday in the lav room but people don't seem to get that.

And, I really don't want to see this thread turned into any type of debate, Law enforcement bashing etc. I just think it's the wrong place.

Katy.....My prayers and thoughts were/are with you and your team mates. God Bless

Hurry Up Every Chance You Get

(formerly LuctorEtEmergo)
Quote Reply
Re: holy shit. cops kill 2 cyclists!! [Katy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First my condolences all the friends and family members of those lost. This is obviously a terrible, senseless tragedy. As for the investigation, the CHP will give this deputy no quarter. If any other agency were handling the investigation I would be suspicious, but the CHP doesn't do "cop favors". My brother was a Sheriff's deputy in L.A. for six years and had several co-workers locked up by CHP for DUI (and rightly so).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cant seem to understand why you put those phrases under quotations, as if they are not true. You clearly did not know him. But unless you can prove otherwise, I'll stick with my sisters character witness of him.

I can reiterate what I've said, because you obviously may not have read it. Ive never met him, and yes he is a kind human. A human because, as humans we all make mistakes. Some bigger than others. He will have to go through life knowing he took these wonderful, phenomenal, lives-- and im sure that will be the toughest thing he'll ever have to do.
When I first read this article, when the name of the deputy wasn't released yet, I felt sorrow for the riders and their families. And still do. After looking at it from yet another view point, after learning it was just an average person like you or me, i find myself obsessed with the idea that it could have been me. As a human being, I can name a handful of times I may have been too tired to drive, and shouldn't have. Luckily nothing ever happened to me, and this is a real eye opener (as many other cases like these are). And based on these posts Ive read- im sure you would all agree, if you happen to be driving and taken a life of a person as extraordinary as these people, in any other circumstance (i.e. blind spots); i know i would be suicidal with grief. I don't think anyone can comprehend that thought...I've tried, and it brings me to tears.

And I'd also like to add- that in my previous post, and at this moment, I take nothing away from the pain friends and family must be feeling. As well as an unfortunate loss of good people who would have gone on to do great things.
I think more than placing blame and hate, what they need now are our thoughts and kind words to get through this terribly tough time. Unless you are still coping with the second stage of loss, I don't think its a mature approach.
My special regards and prayers to the family and friends..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He has a DUI conviction and his father is on the force. This whole thing is not passing the smell test.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Post deleted by sfdmnakdfs [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.sfgate.com/...EVHT6I.DTL&tsp=1

I guess plea bargaining doesn't count. Deputy in crash that killed cyclists faced drunk-driving case in 2001
Demian Bulwa, Chronicle Staff Writer
Tuesday, March 11, 2008 More...
(03-11) 12:23 PDT CUPERTINO -- The Santa Clara County sheriff's deputy who struck and killed two competitive bicyclists Sunday was charged in 2001 in Los Angeles with drunken driving and engaging in an exhibition of speed, court records show.

The two drunken-driving charges against James Council - one count for allegedly being intoxicated and one for having a blood-alcohol level above the legal limit of 0.08 percent - were dismissed by the Los Angeles city attorney's office in a plea deal during the arraignment process, the prosecutor who handled the case said today.

Council, now 27, pleaded guilty only to engaging in a speed exhibition, a misdemeanor. Commissioner Gary Bindman sentenced him to 24 months of probation and fined him $713, including court costs, said Deputy City Attorney Larry Shelley. Shelley said he did not recall the specifics of the case.

According to Shelley and court records, Council's violation occurred Sept. 15, 2001. He was charged Oct. 1 of that year and pleaded guilty 28 days later.

Council was hired as a Santa Clara County sheriff's deputy 18 months ago. On Sunday, he was 4 1/2 hours into a scheduled 12 1/2-hour shift when his cruiser crossed over the center line on Stevens Canyon Boulevard in Cupertino at 10:25 a.m., striking three competitive bicyclists head-on and killing two of them.

Two men who came upon the accident scene a short time after the crash said Council had said he must have fallen asleep at the wheel and didn't know what had happened.

Council is on paid leave from the Sheriff's Department while the California Highway Patrol investigates the crash.
Sgt. Don Morrissey, a spokesman for the department, said Monday that he could not legally comment on whether the department had tested Council's sobriety after the crash because it was a personnel matter. However, Morrissey said, "In incidents like this, we take blood (for drug and alcohol testing). That's our policy. And we're to the letter of our policy right now."

Council did not return a telephone call Monday seeking comment, and an older man who answered the door at his Santa Clara home told a reporter to leave.

The crash Sunday killed bicyclists Kristy Gough, 30, of San Leandro and Matt Peterson, 29, of San Francisco. The third cyclist, 20-year-old Christopher Knapp of Germany, was hospitalized at Stanford University Medical Center, where a spokesman said
today he was "doing well."

E-mail Demian Bulwa at dbulwa@sfchronicle.com.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From www.sfgate.com

County sheriff's deputy who struck and killed two competitive bicyclists Sunday was charged in 2001 in Los Angeles with drunken driving and engaging in an exhibition of speed, court records show.
The two drunken-driving charges against James Council - one count for allegedly being intoxicated and one for having a blood-alcohol level above the legal limit of 0.08 percent - were dismissed by the Los Angeles city attorney's office in a plea deal during the arraignment process, the prosecutor who handled the case said today.

http://rememberingmatt.blogspot.com/

Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Last edited by: Katy: Mar 11, 08 14:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how do you have the audacity to so arduously defend the criminally negligent driver, given these new revelations?

are you insane?

In Reply To:
I cant seem to understand why you put those phrases under quotations, as if they are not true. You clearly did not know him. But unless you can prove otherwise, I'll stick with my sisters character witness of him.

I can reiterate what I've said, because you obviously may not have read it. Ive never met him, and yes he is a kind human. A human because, as humans we all make mistakes. Some bigger than others. He will have to go through life knowing he took these wonderful, phenomenal, lives-- and im sure that will be the toughest thing he'll ever have to do.
When I first read this article, when the name of the deputy wasn't released yet, I felt sorrow for the riders and their families. And still do. After looking at it from yet another view point, after learning it was just an average person like you or me, i find myself obsessed with the idea that it could have been me. As a human being, I can name a handful of times I may have been too tired to drive, and shouldn't have. Luckily nothing ever happened to me, and this is a real eye opener (as many other cases like these are). And based on these posts Ive read- im sure you would all agree, if you happen to be driving and taken a life of a person as extraordinary as these people, in any other circumstance (i.e. blind spots); i know i would be suicidal with grief. I don't think anyone can comprehend that thought...I've tried, and it brings me to tears.

And I'd also like to add- that in my previous post, and at this moment, I take nothing away from the pain friends and family must be feeling. As well as an unfortunate loss of good people who would have gone on to do great things.
I think more than placing blame and hate, what they need now are our thoughts and kind words to get through this terribly tough time. Unless you are still coping with the second stage of loss, I don't think its a mature approach.
My special regards and prayers to the family and friends..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my apologies for my mis-information and to you katy. I was replying to the previous post, in which the article only spoke of drag racing, nothing about DUI.

that story is all too common, 20 year olds drinking and driving. I hardly blame that piece of information that is 7 years old, on the events of sunday morning. Based on what ive heard of him, i stick by my previous postings.

It looks like his future from here on out is pretty foggy, and will be figured out through the proper channels.

All im saying.. its a terribly tragedy for everyone. The families, and the one who has to live with himself for doing it.
Last edited by: sfdmnakdfs: Mar 11, 08 14:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thats not a DUI, It was speeding. The records do not show how fast he was going over though, unfortunately.

Only time, and investigation, will tell now what happened in this case.
it most certainly is a DUI...he admitted to driving under the influence and plea bargained a lesser charge. He was driving drunk, that is a fact, not an accusation.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll stick to what I know, first hand. Without a doubt, the world was a better place with Matt Peterson in it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i agree.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
first of all driving is not a right, it's a privilege.

as triathletes and cyclists, every day is russian roullette on the roads as we risk this same deadly tragedy by a reckless driver. it's an accident, yeah, but a reckless, negligent accident. we are human. i don't even know the victims, yet i feel enraged. their brilliant young lives snuffed out in a split second. i want to inflict some form of wrath on that negligent asshole driver for killing two fellow cyclists. will i? no. but i want to.

others can pray for the driver. not me.

"a nice young man?" jeffrey dahmer was a "nice young man." You are truly a moron. Your final sentence proves it.
Quote Reply
Re: holy shit. cops kill 2 cyclists!! [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in no way defending the guy's actions from the previous incident but as of yet nothing has shown that his complete fuck up from 7 years ago had anything to do with this incident. Believe me, if it turns out that he was drunk and hit an innocent person (regardless of whether they participated in the same sport as I do) I'd be calling for his head as loudly as anyone.
Last edited by: sevans: Mar 11, 08 18:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Katy, thanks for the video link.

I'm 3,000 miles away and still find myself speechless over the whole thing.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know if someone I knew was killed, I would be devastated. But I know Deputy Council, and he is a kind, considerate, atypical deputy. He has a heart and conscience. He is completely devastated. My heart goes out to him because I know he is in pain. I care about him as a person as much as the cyclists friends and family cared about them. Any human lose is beyond comprehension to the people that care about them. I understand if people can't see that Deputy Council is a human with feelings and is a decent, caring, giving person. If you needed an officer, he is the one you want. He never bullied anyone. He treated everyone, even in-custodies, with respect. He listens to people when they had problems. There are some arrogant cops out there, I've met some. But he wasn't one. You can demonize him if you want, but that isn't the truth. God help you if you, in a split second lapse of judgement, cause injury to anyone and the vultures come out and pick you apart. He has a conscience. My heart hurts for him.
Quote Reply

Prev Next