Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

hoka bondi vs altra paradigm
Quote | Reply
anyone make the switch? I switched from my tri bike shoes to a wide cycling specific shoe and my feet love me for it. Now I'm noticing more hoka seems a little tight. Foot shape attracts me to altra the most, not sure what the transition to zero drop will be like. I've been running in bondi's, racing in cliftons for the past few years but ordered a pair of paradigm's today. I guess I'll just alternate for a while and see how it goes.
Quote Reply
Re: hoka bondi vs altra paradigm [MTranquilli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run in both. I have the Conquest and B3 from Hoka and Torin and Olympus from Altra.

I can't say that I really notice the difference between 4mm drop and zero on a trail but I really love the room in the toe box. Running on pavement I can feel the drop but it does not bother me.

I like the Altra so much that I'm going to buy the Altra Everyday for work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had 3-4 pairs of Hokas (Stinson, Bondi, Mafate) but the narrow toe box really became a problem. I switched to Altras and the extra wide toebox is awesome. But, although they are 'maximalist', the Altras don't have anywhere near the 'squish' the Hokas do.

I'm not totally sold on the zero drop thing, but once I get running I seem to forget about it.

I read yesterday that the new Hoka Constant has a much wider toe box, and even a little pronation support, so I may try that. But I'd definitely buy another pair of Altras.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I switched from the Asics Nimbus to the paradigms and I feel like it's the greatest thing I've ever done. It takes some time to get used to the different running style as paradigms force you more on the midsole vs being a historical heel toe striker, but that's what you want right? I'd also add that my legs don't feel as tired after long runs which allow me to go into my next workout feeling fresh. I thought I had lost some speed going to the Paradigms but did a 5k last month and did really well on a hill course (that could be from some weight loss) but I feel this shoes had a hand in it to. One thing I would add is that the shoe may run a little big. I always wear a 12 but I feel like I could go with a 11.5 in the Paradigms. I also tried the Hokas and wanted them to work but the shoe is just too dang narrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTranquilli wrote:
anyone make the switch? I switched from my tri bike shoes to a wide cycling specific shoe and my feet love me for it. Now I'm noticing more hoka seems a little tight. Foot shape attracts me to altra the most, not sure what the transition to zero drop will be like. I've been running in bondi's, racing in cliftons for the past few years but ordered a pair of paradigm's today. I guess I'll just alternate for a while and see how it goes.
MTranquilli, so what are your thoughts on the two Hoka's vs. the Altra Paradigms?

<We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak>
Quote Reply
Re: hoka bondi vs altra paradigm [dmacandcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Altras really feel good walking...but not as good running. Prefer the hoka cushion. Probably still use them, just not for high mileage
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTranquilli wrote:
Altras really feel good walking...but not as good running. Prefer the hoka cushion. Probably still use them, just not for high mileage
Exact same here. I love the altra for comfort but they aren't as soft on the forefoot as the bondi (I am a heavy outer forefoot runner) I also find I get massive blistering as my toes are all twisted and bent sideways and gimped so they have lots of freedom in the altras to slide underneath each other when I run. However the bondi, while way better on my knees and they keep my blisters down, my 2 outer toes on my left foot always fall asleep when I run and it takes hours to get the feeling back. I just can't get enough room in them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my Paradigms. I have Mortons Neuroma in both feet from rock climbing, but can run all day in the Altras. I tested the Hokas as well. They were also great, but the Altras toe box sold it.
Quote Reply
Re: hoka bondi vs altra paradigm [Sully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sully wrote:
I love my Paradigms. I have Mortons Neuroma in both feet from rock climbing, but can run all day in the Altras. I tested the Hokas as well. They were also great, but the Altras toe box sold it.
Guess I need to visit the LRS that now sells Altra's and try out the Paradigms to see if they'll work for me, they have a nice return policy. I'm also dealing with a neuroma in my right foot and switched to Hoka Conquests. I like the cushioning but its so narrow of a shoe (don't have wide feet) that the long runs are bothering my foot, too squeezed in the mid/forefoot. I want to also go lighter than the Conquest and the Clifton's may work for Sprint racing but not long run training.

<We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak>
Quote Reply
Re: hoka bondi vs altra paradigm [thatsethguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, I love the cushioning of the Hokas and the toe box of the Altras. I wish the two brands could get together and make a perfect shoe baby.

Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Re: hoka bondi vs altra paradigm [fe_dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fe_dad wrote:
Man, I love the cushioning of the Hokas and the toe box of the Altras. I wish the two brands could get together and make a perfect shoe baby.

Quote for truth! I feel the same way. I have a pair of the Cliftons and absolutely love the cushioning, but my flat feet are a bit tight in the toebox. The upper stretches enough so that I can still be "comforable" but my foot looks a little odd in the shoe.

Tomorrow is not promised. Increase the Peace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I train in the Altra Paradigm and race in the Altra One2.

I just don't fit well in the Hoka shoes. The arch support is all in the wrong place in the Hoka.

In the end, fit matters. Altra is great for me. (Actually/maybe embarrassingly, Sketchers fit my foot shape best, but I don't like the lining of them barefoot--too many rough seams).

jim
Quote Reply
Re: hoka bondi vs altra paradigm [thatsethguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you tried die Bondi in Wide?
Quote Reply
Re: hoka bondi vs altra paradigm [ericn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you running in the wide Bondi?
Quote Reply