Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

hmmm, road bike or tri bike for long training ride in WI
Quote | Reply
Heading up to Madison this weekend for some training. Debating on taking the road bike instead to learn the course and give the back a break. Is it really important to ride the race course on the tri bike? I've done tons of miles on and long rides on the tri bike already this year .

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Re: hmmm, road bike or tri bike for long training ride in WI [andy515] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri bike..... 100%.... this is kind of a bad question.
Quote Reply
Re: hmmm, road bike or tri bike for long training ride in WI [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is an honest question since I've never been on this course. Curious to how this is a bad question and why do you think a tri bike is better on this course for training on the course for the first time consider it's supposed to be techical.

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Re: hmmm, road bike or tri bike for long training ride in WI [andy515] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is not technical for a training ride... far from it. In a race, when you're trying to save time on every turn, maybe.

I'm just at a loss on how else to explain why... there is just so much knowledge to gain by riding your tri bike compared to your road bike.
Quote Reply
Re: hmmm, road bike or tri bike for long training ride in WI [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have ridden the course several times, I only live an hour away, and every time I ride it on my tri bike. I am a firm believer in training with what you will race with. I didn't think the hills were the worst, however, riding hills on my road bike is totally different than on my tri bike, I always want to know how it will handle in different areas/situations on the course. An example would be at about mile 40 we turn on a really rough road, on the tri bike it is a annoying on the road bike it would be much easier (in my opinion), and back to the hills, there are 3 hills on the loop that are the toughest, given that my roadie has a 50/34 crankset with a 11/28 cassette climbing is totally different than my tri bike with a 54/39 and 11/28.

So that is my reasoning for using a tri bike, again my concept of train with what you race with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I'm just used to riding pancake flat... so good to hear it's not that technical so will probably bring the tri bike

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still think it gives you a better perspective in terms of gearing how those corners feel on that bike, when you might sit up, where youll need to decide to switch chainrings.

Sounds like you have fit issues on your tri bike.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be up on the course this weekend as well. If you see the BBMC crew, give a shout out!

I'm also bring tri bike to test out the course for a possible 2015 imwi trip
Last edited by: zachboring: Jul 29, 14 18:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It doesn't matter which bike you bring. You'll be out there longer on a road bike.

My choice would be my tri bike though, just to know how the bike rides through the course, and I like to ride it more.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No expert here, but I recommend the tri bike as well. As others have stated, the course is not that technical but there are lots of turns and rollers. I live here and ride my tri bike the majority of the time when I do the loop. I learn something new each time I ride the course in regards to gearing and effort on climbs vs descending etc. It is also helpful to know how fast you can safely take some of the turns at the bottom of the hills while in the aero position.
Last edited by: DonP45: Jul 30, 14 6:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are you going to race on? Tri bike? Then that is what you should ride. Unless you live close by and have the opportunity to ride the course anytime you want then I would ride what you are going to race. If anything it will let you know if you possibly have to modify your position on the bike. "Technical course" is a very subjective label. I don't think the course is technical, but I come from a cycling background. Have fun riding the course and look around every once and a while and enjoy the scenery.
Quote Reply
Re: hmmm, road bike or tri bike for long training ride in WI [jotate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slight lean to Tri bike but the course is the course. If your back is tired and needs a break , i.e. you ride TT bike sitting up a lot then ride your road bike.
Quote Reply