Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

hip bursitis - Any help appreciated
Quote | Reply
I have had symptoms for several month now but have been neglecting it. Doc ordered PT, Ibuprofen and rest.
IMLT pushed me over the edge and really impacted my run. I am totally off now but its hard to really rest it. Hurts sitting and sleeping as well.
Would like to hear what others have done. Anyone got a cortisone shot?
Quote Reply
Re: hip bursitis - Any help appreciated [Redog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The doc gave you good advice. I was able to spin on the bike during the recovery but it was about 2 months before I was able to run again.

Dean Wilson
http://www.anaerobiczone.com
Bicycle Protection Indoors & Out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have the symptoms, but no x-rays or MRI to confirm, and even with that, it could be something else....
My story, for reference: Left hip pain, hard to get up out of a chair and start walking, but gets easier with more walking. I got an x-ray and doctor confirmed arthritis. Gave me pain medication, no running instructions etc. Visiting my PT who also studies the nervous system, he looked at my x-ray and said, that's just normal wear and tear. He suggested it was really radiated pain from sciatica. I also did have back pain that resulted in me getting a cortisone epidural at L4/L5. The result - pain in hip gone. PT was right!
Just thorwing this out there.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hip bursitis was the cherry on top of other injuries/complications I had this year. Three months of no running, but was able to finally get back to it enough to finish IMLT 70.3.

I spent a lot of time with the PT, and now have a daily routine that alternates between ab/back/general core work, foam rolling, stretching, yoga, icing and using a heat pad. It took a lot of time and patience for the bursitis to calm down, and it does flare up occasionally, but not nearly at the level it was earlier in the year. I know what you mean when you say it hurts just sitting and sleeping. I couldn't sleep on my side for months, and working at my desk was a nightmare. No cortisone for me; I don't think it was offered up as an option. Very early on I did a round of prednisone (for an IT band issue, so I don't know if that helps with bursitis. Again, I was a mess), which was great, but had to stop that when I found out I had a stress fracture (the MRI I got for that also confirmed the bursitis). I was completely off any meds for a couple of months while that healed, along with the three months of no running. When I came back, the hip hurt, but I kept my volume low and was religious about the aforementioned routine, and it finally calmed down enough not to make me curse my office chair daily.

Hopefully you don't tend to over compensate like I do. Just be sure the bursitis doesn't affect your run form, which could lead to other problems. If you finished IMLT, enjoy the off season and work on healing along with your functional strength. And congrats.
Quote Reply
Re: hip bursitis - Any help appreciated [cmorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, a lot of good info. I am also not 100% sure if the doc is right, sometimes it feels like a lower back issue. Will try to get an MRI/xray approved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Redog wrote:
I have had symptoms for several month now but have been neglecting it. Doc ordered PT, Ibuprofen and rest.
IMLT pushed me over the edge and really impacted my run. I am totally off now but its hard to really rest it. Hurts sitting and sleeping as well.
Would like to hear what others have done. Anyone got a cortisone shot?

i am pretty sure it is only definitively DXd via ultrasound. get one. then get the shot. i've had it once and didn't get the shot. i'll WILL get the shot next time. until then i hone in my bike fit and stretch.....(thanks for the thread as i'm stretching now thanks so you!)

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had it during marathon prep a couple years ago. Ugly. All the symptoms others have mentioned. I backed off reasonably quick as mine was gnarly to even attempt to run...but it drug on for a long time. I wound up getting a shot a few days before a marathon & finished within reason. But I had promised the doc that once it was done I was totally done running & only going to be swimming for the remainder of the summer. And that's what I had to do for it to get better. Even flip turns hurt for awhile. I haven't been brave enough to really ramp up running again to that degree since. It was miserable.

The only thing that really will allow it to heal is resting it. The inflammation has to calm down & go away...which means all the tendons & bursa sacs have to stop giving each other indian burns....no running, rest, anti-inflam & for me even trying to limit the walking.

Good luck.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After IMMT 2013 I went for a recovery massage with the person I had been going to regularly. For whatever reason, she really work on my left side. The next day I could hardly walk. Suffered for a month then started seeing a PT/Osteopath who is also a Triathlete. She diagnosed as hip bursitis probably due to inflammation resulting from the massage. Did PT for about 6 weeks and then after a particularly bad day after spending 6 hours driving I laid down on an ice pack for about an hour (fell asleep). The next morning the bursitis pain was gone and has not returned. Try ice packs right in the spot where it hurts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife had hip bursitis that kept her from running for months. Massage, pain killers, rest and stretching did nothing to help. With dry needling is was gone in 2 days.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are the symptoms of this? I have a labral tear in my left hip dx'd 2 years ago. Hasn't bothered me a bit. Last 2 weeks with almost ZERO running my left hip has been aching and aching. I can barely sit at work without downing pain killers, special chair etc...still in a lot of pain. Walking and standing I have zero pain. I have pain in my si joint, down along the side of my leg, even my quad hurts..my seat bone is killing me too..just so many places that hurt on the left hip area that I have no idea what's going on. I have a appt. with a good hip Dr. but that's not till Nov. 4th.
Quote Reply
Re: hip bursitis - Any help appreciated [IronHoosier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally got my MRI approved. Thanks for all the input.
Quote Reply
Re: hip bursitis - Any help appreciated [IronHoosier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IronHoosier wrote:
What are the symptoms of this? I have a labral tear in my left hip dx'd 2 years ago. Hasn't bothered me a bit. Last 2 weeks with almost ZERO running my left hip has been aching and aching. I can barely sit at work without downing pain killers, special chair etc...still in a lot of pain. Walking and standing I have zero pain. I have pain in my si joint, down along the side of my leg, even my quad hurts..my seat bone is killing me too..just so many places that hurt on the left hip area that I have no idea what's going on. I have a appt. with a good hip Dr. but that's not till Nov. 4th.

I am certainly no expert but your issue sounds more like a sciatica issue (inflamed or aggravated) than bursitis. it usually calms over time, maybe a month or so. Your Dr. appointment is a very good idea as there are many things that can cause pain like this.

I had bursitis in my shoulders few couple years ago and it took about 6 months to go away. Even a shot of steroids in each shoulder did not do much. It just took time - but it did wean away and I am 100% now. I never did figure out what caused it but, fortunately it has not returned.
Quote Reply
Re: hip bursitis - Any help appreciated [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
got my results today. Turns out its a mild tear of the medius glute tendon.
No running for sure, very ltd biking.
Anyone has some special advice other than the usual RICE
Quote Reply