Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

help with winter bike block set up
Quote | Reply
Hello,
I’m looking to start a structured bike training block this fall winter (I am a strong runner and swimmer) and am seeking advice about set up. Plan is to upgrade to a programmable trainer and get a trainerroad account. I have some purchases I need to make, but want to check with the wisdom of Slowtwitch so that I purchase what I need and not anything extra.

What I have:

• iphone 5s
  • “dumb” resistance trainer
  • Garmin 305 with cadence sensor and heart rate strap

What I plan to purchase:

• Trainerroad subscription
  • Tacx vortex smart
  • Waho ANT+key for iphone
  • Apple short lightning adapter for iphone

I can still use the iPhone as the cycle computer and the cadence sensor and HR strap from the 305 in trainerroad, right? Maybe upgrade those farther down the line to the latest wahoo items? The above purchases are about in the price range I prefer to spend but I have some flexibility. For a variety of reasons, my outdoor riding will be limited until next summer, hence the emphasis on the trainer rather than something like a power meter.
Thoughts and advice appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: help with winter bike block set up [chooch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your sensors will still work with the ant+ dongle/iPhone.

Is your "dumb" trainer one of the suggested trainers for TrainerRoad? Another option if it is and you like your current trainer would be to use virtual power until you bite the bullet on a pm. I have a KK road machine and that was the route I went. Food for thought...
Quote Reply
Re: help with winter bike block set up [chooch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great, you've got just about everything. Regarding the ANT key for your iPhone, you'll also need a lightning to 30 pin adapter. Check out this article, which also has links to get exactly what you'll need: ANT+ Connectivity

Also, you do have the option of running Virtual Power for now on your current trainer as long as it is supported (you can check that here). To do this, all you will need is a speed sensor (unless your cadence sensor also does speed). Electronic trainers are fantastic, but this could be a great option to get you up and running before your Tacx arrives. Here's some more info on that here: How Virtual Power Works

Professional Mountain Biker and Community Manager at TrainerRoad - Cycling's Most Effective Training Tool
Quote Reply