Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

help me with some fit questions/issues...please!
Quote | Reply
I am on a never ending quest to get comfortable on my bikes. The tri bike is pretty darn good right now and I can't complain all that much, but I'm mostly done riding it this year. It's time to focus on the road bike as I've ridden that probably twice as much this year. I've had a fit on my tri bike but getting one for the road bike is out of the question for the time being.

I've bounced around different saddles this year; a Fizik Antares, Fizik Ares, ISM PR 2.0 and now on the ISM Road. I think I've finally settled on the ISM saddles and the Road seems to be working right now.

I've always had my ISMs leveled so the 'two noses' are level with the ground. I was reading around and heard other people leveling the saddle front to back. I played around with the angle last night and this morning and have ended up with somewhere in between the whole saddle level and just the noses level and I think I like this. It seemed to take some pressure off my sit bones from having it titled further down previously and after adjusting saddle height, I'm liking it.

But I noticed something else. I could feel myself sitting higher up on the left nose than the right. I've always sat a little unevenly on my bike but I never noticed it like today. I've also wondered the last few years, if I needed to be shimming my right cleat a bit to even myself out. That belief was only furthered when I got P1 pedals this year and now see a L/R difference of about 4% in favor of my left leg.

Combining all of these; sitting unevenly and feeling the left side higher, the L/R imbalance and also some calf issues I've had over the years makes me think shimming the cleats might solve these issues. I'm looking at the cleat shim kit from BikeFit which goes in 1mm increments and also BikeFit's Leg Length Difference Shim which comes in 3mm or 5mm increments.

I know this is a lot of info and it would make sense to get a fit, but as I mentioned it's not possible right now. So I'm just looking for peoples insights and suggestions. Have you used cleat shims before? How have worked out being uneven on the saddle, specifically an ISM? How have you improved power imbalances?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: help me with some fit questions/issues...please! [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No way to divorce saddle selection from bike fit. You might find a saddle that feels good for the position you're in, but that saddle may be terrible for the position you should be in. And that's not even mentioning the sit-position differences from one saddle to the next. Without a proper fit, you're just chasing your tail.

A saddle does a lot more than just diminishing crotch discomfort.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: help me with some fit questions/issues...please! [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Try it.

haha, thanks, I think I'm going to. Just wanted to see if others have tried something similar.
Quote Reply
Re: help me with some fit questions/issues...please! [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
No way to divorce saddle selection from bike fit. You might find a saddle that feels good for the position you're in, but that saddle may be terrible for the position you should be in. And that's not even mentioning the sit-position differences from one saddle to the next. Without a proper fit, you're just chasing your tail.

A saddle does a lot more than just diminishing crotch discomfort.

I know, I just cannot afford it right now. I really wish I could, I'm dying to get a proper fit for my road bike. It just ain't possible
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use the money you were going to spend on the saddle and get a fit instead. You've got the cart before the horse right now.

Trent Nix
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
Use the money you were going to spend on the saddle and get a fit instead. You've got the cart before the horse right now.

I may not have explained it well above, but I'm not looking to buy a saddle. I've got 7 at home right now lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see where all your funds went, then! Maybe it's time to dust off the eBay account? :)

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
I see where all your funds went, then! Maybe it's time to dust off the eBay account? :)

Haha! That's definitely a good idea and I think I'm sticking with ISM now so I can sell the 3 Fizik's I have and the one Prologo. I'd love to put that money towards a fit. But alas, I will probably have to put it towards bills :(
Quote Reply