Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
help me avoid losing watts from a flapping bib #
Quote | Reply
So, in all my ironmans I've never worn a bib number during the bike leg (the official rules have always stipulated the helmet and bike sticker, but not the actual bib number).
However I am doing IMSA in 2 weeks and the athlete guide states that bib needs to be worn during the bike. I cannot bear the thought of having aero everything and then a big number flapping about in the wind. It seems disrespectful to the scientific nature of our sport. They also only give us one number, so I can't sew it on. The only practical thing I can think of is using 2 number belts, top and bottom. Do you any of you have other ideas?

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: help me avoid losing watts from a flapping bib # [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
So, in all my ironmans I've never worn a bib number during the bike leg (the official rules have always stipulated the helmet and bike sticker, but not the actual bib number).
However I am doing IMSA in 2 weeks and the athlete guide states that bib needs to be worn during the bike. I cannot bear the thought of having aero everything and then a big number flapping about in the wind. It seems disrespectful to the scientific nature of our sport. They also only give us one number, so I can't sew it on. The only practical thing I can think of is using 2 number belts, top and bottom. Do you any of you have other ideas?

Yes, everyone is in the same boat so you really aren't "losing" anything.

Have you been professionally fit for your bike? Most triathletes have a terrible position and that is what really kills you, not your bib.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just use one race number belt, turn it so your number is on your back like normal, , pull it up a little bit, then pull your tri top down so it is covering the top of your race bib. Number still shows, and you won’t even notice it back there once you get going.
Last edited by: JMarkel9: Mar 25, 14 12:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two options I've tried. As you mentioned use two number belts, I found this a little annoying having the lower belt too low and the high too high. plus you'll want to ditch it for the run.

Next Pin it. if its a wet suit race just pin the number to your tri suit or last season I pinned it to a jersey that I had on and then ditched in t2 this year I'll do the same but probably with Castelli's stealth top.
Quote Reply
Re: help me avoid losing watts from a flapping bib # [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes my fit is as aero as possible and I ride the whole way in aero position. Everything other than the bib is as aero as possible.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
However I am doing IMSA in 2 weeks and the athlete guide states that bib needs to be worn during the bike.

Does it just say worn? I could be over thinking this a bit but worn doesn't necessarily mean completely visible...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious - what to the Kona professionals do with that flappy bib? Seems like it would make sense to do what they do.
Quote Reply
Re: help me avoid losing watts from a flapping bib # [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
crumple it, stick it one with 3M adhesive, & then 2 safety pins for good measure
Quote Reply
Re: help me avoid losing watts from a flapping bib # [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wear it turnaround on my back and it doesn't noticably flap. Either I'm too slow, or I have a horrible position (or a really good one?).

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:

3m makes a very thin double sided tape that is extremely strong. I cant remember the model of it right now. I put a long strip of this tape on each side of my bib number and then sticks to me while on the bike attached to my race belt. No flapping around or anything. Have had several people ask me during races how I made it work.

Hopefully you get your kona slot in SA so I don't have to worry about you in AZ.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A trick another racer showed me was to mount number on a race belt then wrap it round a couple of times (at least once). Number shows, but top is effectively closed, wear it low on your bum, it won't flap. If it's not flapping, there's no loss of aero.
Quote Reply
Re: help me avoid losing watts from a flapping bib # [7summits] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7summits wrote:
robgray wrote:

3m makes a very thin double sided tape that is extremely strong. I cant remember the model of it right now. I put a long strip of this tape on each side of my bib number and then sticks to me while on the bike attached to my race belt. No flapping around or anything. Have had several people ask me during races how I made it work.

Hopefully you get your kona slot in SA so I don't have to worry about you in AZ.

Do you still crumple it a little? OR is that not necessary with the adhesive?

Hopefully most of my races don't require this as I've gone through all the trouble and expense to put the names or sponsor/donors on my trisuit... and then to cover them up with a stupid race belt is crap... when I have my race number on my arms, legs, helmet and bike.... seriously?

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice! I'm gonna try it - I think I have some of that double sided tape at home. I hope I get the slot too ;-) I'm winging it a bit, on mainly 70.3 training plus a huge last minute 2 week block.

Quote Reply
Re: help me avoid losing watts from a flapping bib # [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
7summits wrote:
robgray wrote:

Do you still crumple it a little? OR is that not necessary with the adhesive?

Hopefully most of my races don't require this as I've gone through all the trouble and expense to put the names or sponsor/donors on my trisuit... and then to cover them up with a stupid race belt is crap... when I have my race number on my arms, legs, helmet and bike.... seriously?

Don't have to mess with it all. In fact, the straighter the better. I also use this tape on my stem and attach salt tablets. The tape is incredibly strong but super thin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't follow why you can't sew it on, are you changing clothes?

Crumple it up, wear it on the front. It will just sort of bunch up at your waist instead of flapping. Seems kind of pointless because it isn't visible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: zoom: Mar 25, 14 14:37
Quote Reply
Re: help me avoid losing watts from a flapping bib # [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sewing problematic because it needs to be on the back for the bike, and front for the run

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a joke thread right?
Do you honestly think it is going to make that big a wattage difference?
If you are worried about the wattage loss from a bib number perhaps a little more power is in order.
Furthermore unless you have spent dozens if hours in a wind tunnel and can spend the entire time in that exact position the flapping bib number is really not your biggest loss.
Quote Reply
Re: help me avoid losing watts from a flapping bib # [rkwaki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OP is pretty fast for an amateur. He's one of the few nonpro folks that I could actually see that flapping bib actually mattering for.

http://robgray.org/
for a cool KQ report (hope you don't mind me posting it)
Last edited by: lightheir: Mar 25, 14 14:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rkwaki wrote:
If you are worried about the wattage loss from a bib number perhaps a little more power is in order.
Furthermore unless you have spent dozens if hours in a wind tunnel and can spend the entire time in that exact position the flapping bib number is really not your biggest loss.

- no joke
- yes perhaps a little more power is in order (isn't it always). However there is nothing I can do about my power with 10 days to go. But I can do something about the flappy bib.
- wind tunnel: thanks, yes I have. Thats exactly my point that I've spent a ridiculous amount of time on small tweaks and gains (that in aggregate make a big difference). When you've done all that, how can you NOT care about a flapping bib.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rkwaki wrote:

So who has the link for the study showing the wattage loss from poorly placed number is greater than that saved from wheels?
I like that lots of folks are throwing rocks. I bet if Rob posted his results it would gentle down the crowd a bit.

I remember a similar thread when you posted your bike nutrition strategy for IMLC. In all honestly, I thought you were nuts too.
I use scotch tape folded over on the back side and just mash it down one good time after the swim.

@christopher_borden •
Spinning Spoke • Dimond Bikes • Flo Cycling • Castelli Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bib number tramp stamp tattoo. It's the only way to be sure.

/

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Re: help me avoid losing watts from a flapping bib # [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gary Mc wrote:
Bib number tramp stamp tattoo. It's the only way to be sure.

/

FTW

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
quick question on this - so you put the tape on the back of your top before the race, swim without the number, then put on the race belt and stick it to the tape in T1, right?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7summits wrote:
robgray wrote:

No tape. 3M or another brand spray adhesive. Then safety pin the corners.
Quote Reply

Prev Next