Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

hamstring issues
Quote | Reply
As a 62 year old runner who has trained and competed for over 45 years, I have all of a sudden developed hamstring issues. I get up running a few months and develop a slight issue in either the right or left hamstring. I do the RICE thing and avoid running for 7-10 days which helps but sometimes needs a longer recovery period. I have been checked by a doctor and do stretching and strength exercises for hips, and IT band. As soon as I feel the slightest bit of discomfort I stop running.and begin a recovery phase of 7-10 days. I can ride and swim with absolutely no issues. I am wondering what else I could be missing to avoid this issue.
Quote Reply
Re: hamstring issues [Scot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
62 YO runner here as well. Had very similar issues after a long period of successful running. Took a few weeks off and felt better only to have the issue come right back after starting up again. Decided to see a massage therapist who specializes in athletes.

He quickly found some deep adhesions in the hamstring. After a few quite painful sessions he got them worked out and I now feel much better. I've now incorporated some rolling sessions (sitting on a tennis ball and sliding around) into my routine.

Maybe you have something similar going on, good luck.......
Quote Reply
Re: hamstring issues [Scot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The most common misconception is that hamstrings might be tight and need to be stretched. When it is affecting both sides then the most common cause is anterior pelvic tilt making the hamstrings tight and leaving them susceptible to injury.

This should be easy to diagnose by a sports physiotherapist

Pelvic tilt is usually caused by one or more of the following :
- tight hip flexors
- tight quads or quads
- piriformis or glute medius weakness or spasm from sitting or biking
- weak abs
- general lack of awareness of pelvic posture

Other general causes to check for could be :
sciatic nerve neural tension (from muscle spasm from around the hip or on your lower back)
lower back inflexibility
hamstring muscle trigger points
if the heel of your running shoe is too soft or low compared t the forefoot height (for your particular running style)
Quote Reply
Re: hamstring issues [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been treating it with Chiropractic and massage as well as getting graston treatments. I think one of the clues here is the soft shoes. (Hoka). While I like the shoes a lot, it may not be the brand for me. Thanks for confirming my thought on the issue.
Quote Reply
Re: hamstring issues [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:

Pelvic tilt is usually caused by one or more of the following :
- tight hip flexors
- tight quads or quads
- piriformis or glute medius weakness or spasm from sitting or biking
- weak abs
- general lack of awareness of pelvic posture

Other general causes to check for could be :
sciatic nerve neural tension (from muscle spasm from around the hip or on your lower back)
lower back inflexibility
hamstring muscle trigger points
if the heel of your running shoe is too soft or low compared t the forefoot height (for your particular running style)

Only experiential, not medical advice: My troublesome hamstrings are related to stressed or weak other muscles for me. A wide range of weights and exercises, and a wide range of stretching has helped immensely. Stretching my quads is the best way to relieve my hamstrings. This in only anecdotal advice, so take it for what it's worth. It seems to follow lacticturkey's more scientific advice, so I thought I'd share.
Andrew Moss

Quote | Reply
53 years old. Have always fought tight hamstrings. Went back to officiating basketball after 20 year laps. Yea, I still get yelled at. I don't walk during games. I'm always, jogging backwards, sideways and run forwards to catch up to a fast break. Sometimes 3-4 games in a row. Really cured me. Running better, faster and less stiff this entire winter. I think the real key was the running backwards to where it comes natural.
Quote Reply