Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

grand canyon solo rim 2 rim 2 rim run
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

I am contemplating to do the grand canyon rim to rim to rim trail (44 miles with +10000ft climbing) in mid April this year and was wondering what the slowtwitch wisdom for such a project would be.

I have a few HIMs under my belt (best run so far 1h38; 4:45h overall) but currently I am only running 20-25 miles per week (+ 1h swim + 2h bike per week). In the past I have done some hikes with close to 10 000feet of climbing but certainly not this kind of mileage....

Question now is, do I have the chance to get remotely prepared for such a run until April, or will I just kill myself?

Have some of you guys done this trail and how long did it take you? Any tips, insights, suggestions, other than what you find on the internet....

thanks a lot.
U
Quote Reply
Re: grand canyon solo rim 2 rim 2 rim run [uw234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Done it, doing it again in late May. Really not too complicated except making sure the water is running that time of year. Also check to see if Phantom Ranch is open.

Be prepared for quite a bit of hiking the last few miles on the north side.

Additionally, the road to the North Rim may not be open in April. Just something to keep in mind in case you needed support of some kind.

My fitness going in was marginal, ran about 35 miles a week. Just plan to take it slow, break and walk as needed.
Last edited by: lmicah3: Feb 18, 17 10:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at going to the bottom from the north rim around May 30. Just interested in the overall input/bump the thread. Had a friend (who had done two decent 100 milers including Wasatch do the double and he said the downs trashed his legs even for walking for about 10 days. I'm just planning on a running pack I'm used to carrying lots of water (also lived near there for 3 years but never got around to it) and wearing Hokas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Took me about 13 hours. Ran twice a week with some cross training and lifting. Hiked about 25% of the total mileage. One of the best runs ever. Took a small pack with a camelback for liquid. Filled up a few times, had some PBJ's and some bacon. Voila. Great day on the trail.

Start real early, like 4am or before. It can get real hot towards the end of the day.
Quote Reply
Re: grand canyon solo rim 2 rim 2 rim run [t daddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your reply. Good to hear that people have done it without beeing on a crazy high mileage training plan. I don't mind if I am trashed afterwards since it will be a once in a lifetime hike/run for me.
My guess is that it will also take 12-13h for me. Not sure I want to start that early. For me I think I would rather go up in the dark than down. But of course if it will be hot that day it's a different question...
U
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not done a R2R2R. I have done a south rim to the ranch and back up. I did mine back in May of '14 about a month after completing the Hyner 50k in PA. If you want info on that race just google it, it's just a little hilly, just a little. My training that year was about 35 mpw with some biking thrown in. The run to Phantom Ranch and back was almost 18 miles because I went a ways past the ranch before returning. Those 18 miles were twice as hard as the 50k. At the Canyon everything is either up, down, or sand. Very little flat.

I went down South Kaibab and left early to avoid the mule trains and hikers. Oh yea, the canyon at sunrise is beautiful. It's also shorter that way but steeper. By the time I got to the river my quads were trashed and I had been training on hills just as steep or steeper, just not as long. I came back up Bright Angel and the climb from Indian Gardens to the top became a death march for the last two miles. Here's my advice.

Go early or be prepared to slowly hike behind mules and strings of hikers. I think I left around 4:30 or 5:00. Go down SK and come back up BA since BA has water and Indian Gardens is a good place to rest. Consider using trekking poles. Take more food and water than you think you might need. Yea it's extra weight but lack of those two is the biggest things that kill people in the canyon. Adjust your expectations of your time. I was expecting to do mine in 5:30 to 6 hours. It took me 7:15. BE cautious about extrapolating a time from your HIM or marathon times. If you leave in daylight make sure you take a light since you may get back well after dark and enough clothes to layer if needed.

I've talked to, or read reports, of quite a few ultra runners who run trails almost exclusively and mile for mile it's pretty much the hardest thing they've done. Yea some of the elite trail runners blast through it, but the non-elites who are still strong runners talk about having to dig quite deep to get back up and out. And that is the thing with this run, there is no bail out point and the only way out is up.

Not trying to dissuade you from doing it, just want to let you know what you're getting into. A lot of people do it and it's not uncommon to see reports of it taking almost 24 hours for some people to finish it. Just don't die or need a flight back up out. The rangers don't like runners doing this and there has been talk of banning it. I'd like to do it in a few years myself so I want everyone to keep it safe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They don't turn on the water on the trail until mid May. Check their website for the date/weekend that they turn it back on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did R2R2R two years ago in October. We had no problem with water because it was still on at all points. Just in case, we did have little water filters with us. There's a stream that runs along the trail for a long ways so you do have access to water just in case.

We started at 4:30 in the morning to avoid the mules. It was near freezing temps but we all came out of our warmer clothes within 20 minutes of descending. We went down SK and came back up Bright Angel. Even at the end of October, we saw a fair number of other people on the trails and it was nice to stop and talk with them. Most were in awe that we were running the GC so that was fun. It can be very isolated out there so nice to have contact. Just take it easy, always stop to replenish your water, and enjoy it. This has to be the most rewarding sporting activity I've ever done
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off, don't go solo! It's a long day and there is a real danger of something going wrong. We did it 2 years in April on a perfecto day and 2x's it could have gone bad.... be smart. But it is an amazing run and enjoy it, no time restrictions....the helicopter ride is pretty expensive if you stuck! Start around 4:30-5 and enjoy!
Quote Reply