Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: my thoughts on zwift [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
I'm pretty lazy, so until Zwift offers a full set of coordinated training plans that I don't have to build from scratch or cobble together from other users, I'm sticking with TR. IMO that's the biggest value TR provides, not to mention their founders are on ST constantly providing personalized 1-on-1 assistance.

There is a claim on this thread that Zwift is cheaper, which is true for monthly plans. But if you buy the annual subscription TR is actually $1/month cheaper.

They do offer a full set of plans. I'm just finishing the 12 week FTP builder. They also offer a 12 winter plan. Or, load the Sufferfest workouts. Pretty simple.
Quote Reply
Re: my thoughts on zwift [kkerns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kkerns wrote:
sch340 wrote:
I'm pretty lazy, so until Zwift offers a full set of coordinated training plans that I don't have to build from scratch or cobble together from other users, I'm sticking with TR. IMO that's the biggest value TR provides, not to mention their founders are on ST constantly providing personalized 1-on-1 assistance.

There is a claim on this thread that Zwift is cheaper, which is true for monthly plans. But if you buy the annual subscription TR is actually $1/month cheaper.

They do offer a full set of plans. I'm just finishing the 12 week FTP builder.

Awesome, awesome plan drawn up by six-time TT champ and current BMC coach Marco Pinotti. He kind of knows what he's doing.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: my thoughts on zwift [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, I'm on both right now. There are things about TR are awesome - the engagement of their coaches here, the podcast (have you subscribed - it's really good), erg control of my trainer (Tacx Vortex Smart). I'm doing the Tour of Sufferlandria on TR right now. Well, not literally this second - I'm actually drinking wine and eating nuts, but you know what I mean. But the workouts (absent Sufferfest or other videos) are efficient, but not engaging. Depends on what you want. Zwift? I actually like the idea of seeing the terrain and feeling the change in resistance. I did my FTP test on Zwift a couple of weeks ago and appreciate their training library. When the weather is bad, it's an interesting substitute for a group ride outside. Yeah, even with the gamification, the courses are becoming boring. I have not done a race yet, but it seems tricky. Drafting on Zwift is, for me, so different than real life that I don't have the knack yet. And that will, without question, spit me off the back of a Zwift race. So, they are *very* different things, fundamentally, with some overlap (Zwift's workout mode) that confuses the comparison. But, I'm rapidly coming to the decision that most have alluded to - I can't afford both. So which gets cancelled?
Quote Reply
Re: my thoughts on zwift [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The old saying goes, people respond to training stimuli differently. Guys like Lionel and Potts can probably crank out 400w for long periods of time in a dark room if they feel like it.

Personally, I enjoy achieving the goals that Zwift gives per segment of a training workout. I can zone out, and focus on banging out the interval and getting the silly gold star from holding the watts. The UX and graphics on Zwift has been completely intuitive to me since day 1 and it works for me. I've never joined a group ride, a race, or sent an in-game text. I'm following a plan and simply grinding out the workouts (with ample recovery).

One of my friends IRL and on slowtwitch has had great success with TR and has no desire to switch. I think that's great! Everyone is different and do whatever keeps you interested. If in six months you feel a need for change-you're not bound by long-term contracts.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kkerns wrote:
sch340 wrote:

They do offer a full set of plans. I'm just finishing the 12 week FTP builder. They also offer a 12 winter plan. Or, load the Sufferfest workouts. Pretty simple.

Well, I should have emphasized that TR has a full set of coordinated plans, which to me means something that I can build an annual training plan around and provides me options based on the amount of training time I have available. I'm sure the FTP builder plan in Zwift does what it says it will (build FTP), but it doesn't look specific enough to my particular objective, which is both building FTP AND endurance to bike for 5+ hours and then run a marathon after that.

But of course, it looks to be evolving rapidly and I don't want to outright dismiss it, so I'm keeping my eye on it closely.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: my thoughts on zwift [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zwift would be fun if you could throw virtual pumps into people's virtual wheels as you virtually ride by :D

Lot's of my friends are on there, maybe next year. Only a couple more weeks of shitty winter to get through here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
kkerns wrote:
sch340 wrote:

They do offer a full set of plans. I'm just finishing the 12 week FTP builder.

Awesome, awesome plan drawn up by six-time TT champ and current BMC coach Marco Pinotti. He kind of knows what he's doing.

Is there a way to review their plans without doing an actual workout? I'm a zwift member and I do a few rides/races, but have not tried the structured training yet. Do I need to be running the actual application to see the plans or can I review them "off the bike" through the Zwift login page for setup, etc.?
Quote Reply
Re: my thoughts on zwift [bluto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: my thoughts on zwift [alfonso132] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been using zwift for about a year now, it has its place but I wouldn't ditch TR for it. My thoughts are TR for training, zwift for a training race once or twice a week, outside as much as possible once summer hits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timetek:
I read a lot of these posts, and your post summarized my experience, and the reason I do Zwift, perfectly. I ride it exactly like you do and for the same reasons. Well, there you go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What was your opinion of the 12 week FTP builder? Care to share your improvement? Curious about using it for myself. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: my thoughts on zwift [IndyClay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IndyClay wrote:
What was your opinion of the 12 week FTP builder? Care to share your improvement? Curious about using it for myself. Thanks!

I gained 27 watts. The first four weeks will seem easy. Around week three I added a group ride on Saturday or Sunday that I knew would push me, and I think that contributed to the increase.
Now I'm integrating the Sufferfest workouts and when needing a Z2 active recovery ride, I still go back to the 12 week FTP plan and find an easy day for an hour ride to force myself to back off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. I think I will give it a try.
Quote Reply
Re: my thoughts on zwift [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with you.

In my opinion Zwift is missing the ability to race against previous performances in a meaningful way. That is a key feature to Computrainer.

Now, in fairness, Zwift is right out of beta testing- what? Five months ago? So it is likely that if enough people mention it, they may engineer in the capability.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: my thoughts on zwift [Wylde06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Difference in riding it with just an ant+ device on a fluid trainer versus riding it on a smart trainer like a Kickr or Computrainer.................
Quote Reply

Prev Next