Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2016 Tour of Sufferlandria [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It does depend on just how hard you rode but there is also an "ideal" TSS based on 100% in Trainer Road.

Looks like I picked up 786.1 TSS points with the biggest day being 135 on AVDP+9H day.

If you add up all of the rides in TR it looks like 1049 is the grand total. I never come close to hitting the true spec TSS on any TR ride though so I am not surprised I am low, despite mostly hitting the power targets through the majority of the tour.

I know I missed a little on the latter part of ISLAGIATT, definitely missed a few towards the end of Double Revolver. The Wretched lived up to it's name and I cracked there a bit. But then I didn't crack again until most of the way through 9H and I hit the final stage well.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Tour of Sufferlandria [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, my spreadsheet says 1046 TSS 'ideal' from TR. I got 920. Violator was a big problem for me - the Tacx Vortex Smart could not ramp the power up/down fast enough, so those short intervals were pretty sloppy. I was within 2% if ideal on most, but double revolver and violator were way off.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Tour of Sufferlandria [chbelair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chbelair wrote:
Finished, showered and had something to eat. Thanks everyone for the virtual cycling training camp, it was a little less painful having others to share this with. My plan is to let my legs recover for 5-6 days and do an FTP test. I did TOS usring 280....I"m hoping for 294 which is my all time high.

Well....?
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Tour of Sufferlandria [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
curious - i'm wondering for a well balanced training regimen, how often do folks do these brutal rides (compared to more SST or recovery rides) per week?
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Tour of Sufferlandria [estrbak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
estrbak wrote:
curious - i'm wondering for a well balanced training regimen, how often do folks do these brutal rides (compared to more SST or recovery rides) per week?

While it somewhat depends on where I am in a training block, I would usually do two sessions like this in a week, one endurance ride around 1hr-1.5hr and one long endurance ride.

As far as which ones I use: farther out from an A-race I'll be doing more short-interval Super LT and VO2 work (AVDP, Angels, Fight Club, Revolver, Nine Hammers, etc). Closer to the A-race I'll end up doing more long Sub-LT to LT work (Rookie, ISLAGIATT, HHNF, Hunted, etc).
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Tour of Sufferlandria [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did my FTP test on Friday, using the Trainer Road 8 minute test. I finished with a 297FTP, which is a PB for me, TOS 2016 has already paid dividends in my books.

Either TOS taught me to suffer or I didn't go hard enough as I didn't find the first 8 minute effort that terrible; the second 8minutes felt longer but I didn't collapse off the bike like I have in the past. Initially, I was a little disappointed that I didn't crack the 300, but now, I think that's a good thing, there's still lots of time before my A races and I'll need the extra motivation to keep on doing the quality work.

Speaking of quality work, I just did my first hard workout with my new FTP, if any of you are getting tired of Sufferfest rides, give "Mary Austin" on TR a go, I guarantee she'll provide some of the most miserable 90minutes of your life.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Tour of Sufferlandria [chbelair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chbelair wrote:
I did my FTP test on Friday, using the Trainer Road 8 minute test. I finished with a 297FTP, which is a PB for me, TOS 2016 has already paid dividends in my books.

Either TOS taught me to suffer or I didn't go hard enough as I didn't find the first 8 minute effort that terrible; the second 8minutes felt longer but I didn't collapse off the bike like I have in the past. Initially, I was a little disappointed that I didn't crack the 300, but now, I think that's a good thing, there's still lots of time before my A races and I'll need the extra motivation to keep on doing the quality work.

Speaking of quality work, I just did my first hard workout with my new FTP, if any of you are getting tired of Sufferfest rides, give "Mary Austin" on TR a go, I guarantee she'll provide some of the most miserable 90minutes of your life.

Congrats on the bump. Those first few rides at a new FTP are always fun.
Quote Reply
Re: 2016 Tour of Sufferlandria [estrbak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
estrbak wrote:

Last year, I had our athletes ride a mixture of Sufferfests and slope/grade courses, just to balance out the training. We didn't get quite the results we were looking for, so this winter we've gone full-Sufferfest two nights a week for an hour (I edited the longer videos to one hour and the shorter videos longer to one hour). The athletes howl but they're putting out some impressive watts. One athlete started in mid-December at 166 NP and is now riding at 246 NP for one-hour Sufferfests. That's a 50% increase (he's abnormal, but getting very strong) and he did Revolver last week (with 8 additional intervals to make an hour ride) at an FTP of 360. So it's going to be high intensity interval training all the way through March.
Quote Reply

Prev Next