Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kickr - smell of heated/melted plastic
Quote | Reply
Another Kickr woe. I've noticed a smell like heated/melted plastic from my Kickr. Worse after a period of use but starts when plugged in. Has anyone heard of this happening before? Should I be concerned?
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr - smell of heated/melted plastic [ddave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I assume, of course, you have already contacted Wahoo before posting here...?
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr - smell of heated/melted plastic [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
I assume, of course, you have already contacted Wahoo before posting here...?

In parallel, have found over the years ST can respond more quickly and honestly than many company support centres.

Wahoo however were faster this time. Return it to the shop their chat said. Like the chat support offering they have. Helped me with a few things recently.

In hindsight a smell of heated/melted plastic is probably a fire hazard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ddave wrote:
Another Kickr woe. I've noticed a smell like heated/melted plastic from my Kickr. Worse after a period of use but starts when plugged in. Has anyone heard of this happening before? Should I be concerned?

As a general rule of thumb, if anything electric starts to smell like it's burning, I'd stop using it immediately. Unplug it, contact the company or store you purchased it from, and be guided by what they tell you. The potential worst case scenario outweighs missing a few days of training.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr - smell of heated/melted plastic [dpd3672] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dpd3672 wrote:
ddave wrote:

As a general rule of thumb, if anything electric starts to smell like it's burning, I'd stop using it immediately. Unplug it, contact the company or store you purchased it from, and be guided by what they tell you. The potential worst case scenario outweighs missing a few days of training.

Yeah when I read this I realise what a twat I was.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dpd3672 wrote:
As a general rule of thumb, if anything electric starts to smell like it's burning, I'd stop using it immediately.
A digital device will continue to work only so long as it is able to produce smoke. Once the device expends all of it's smoke, then it is done and will no longer work.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr - smell of heated/melted plastic [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ms6073 wrote:
dpd3672 wrote:
As a general rule of thumb, if anything electric starts to smell like it's burning, I'd stop using it immediately.

A digital device will continue to work only so long as it is able to produce smoke. Once the device expends all of it's smoke, then it is done and will no longer work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_smoke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of watts and duration were you throwing at it?
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr - smell of heated/melted plastic [dnomelgreg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dnomelgreg wrote:
What kind of watts and duration were you throwing at it?

Good point.

When you get to the point where trainers are literally burning up underneath you, it's safe to say you can probably lay off the training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Kickr - smell of heated/melted plastic [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ms6073 wrote:
dpd3672 wrote:

If you collect all of the smoke and put it in a jar, you can fix the machine by putting all the smoke back into it.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr - smell of heated/melted plastic [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
ms6073 wrote:
dpd3672 wrote:

If you collect all of the smoke and put it in a jar, you can fix the machine by putting all the smoke back into it.

That's a lot of work-just soak the parts/device in liquid smoke.
Quote Reply