Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Amanda Stevens Article [kells] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kells wrote:
Step 1 - 8 hours, taken in 2nd or 3rd year of medical school, very high stakes. Closed-book. If you do poorly, you can forget about a competitive specialty. $1000.
Step 2 - 8 hours, taken in 3rd year. Score isn't as important but can still screw you if you tank it. Closed-book. $1000.
Step 2 CS - 8 hours, you go around and see a bunch of fake patients. Unfortunately this test is only offered in a few cities, so it's gonna run you a few thousand dollars for travel + testing fees.
Step 3 - 8 hours, taken in intern year. Hard to study when you're working 80 hour weeks, but if you fail, you can't get a medical license. Closed-book. $1000.

Each Step tests similar material - a little bit more advanced as you go, but they cover all specialties. If you're a fully boarded doctor overseas, chances are you have to take all the Steps in the US to practice here.

After all this, you're qualified to obtain your medical license. My medical school did not cover the testing fees whatsoever - all goes into that huge pile of loans you've accumulated.

Close, this is the current state of affairs:

Step 1 - 8 hours - $600
Step 2 CK - 9 hours - $600
Step 2 CS - 8 hours - $1275 (only offered in 5 cities)
Step 3 - 6 hours / 9 hours (2 days) - Total 15 hours - $830
Quote Reply
Re: Amanda Stevens Article [JSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSully wrote:
Pun_Times wrote:
Good article. I remember reading about her a year or so ago as well. She really pushes the Doctor/MD thing and in her website/blog she lists herself as a licensed doctor. But beyond listing her medical school there isn’t anything noted about internship year or a residency. Does anyone know if she’s done any post-doctoral training? Since she lists herself as licensed, she would have at least needed 1 year as well as passing the USMLE step 3’s. Just wondering what the case was in terms of when in her training she decided to take time away.

How does that work with non-clinical specialty stuff? IE, pathology, epidemiology.

Epi is a PhD, not an MD...
Quote Reply
Re: Amanda Stevens Article [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Are the three exams 8 hrs each??? Can you take them separately or do you have to take them three days in a row??? Also, prob silly question, but i would assume they are all closed-book exams??? (I ask b/c in the professional engineering exams, we have two 8-hr exams, with both being all open-book.)

I thought the PE exam was just a single day? Or are you also including the FE exam? Because the FE is absolutely closed book now, in fact you can not even bring in your own pencils.

OK, i'll grant you that but the FE only became closed book two yrs ago, in Jan 2014, and still you have an electronic reference to use with the test. IOW, engineering has not yet become, and never will become IMO, a memorization-based field.

Also, just as a side note, an electrical engineering prof i see at the gym every so often told me that they now give out calculators to the FE test takers, and that they have both HP and TI calculators available. They give out standardized basic calculators so that no kid will have an advantage b/c his parents bought him a super calculator with programs already written to solve common problems:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Amanda Stevens Article [solitude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
solitude wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
DrTriKat wrote:
I never had an open book test my entire life. All the math/physics/chemistry tests/competitions I did pre-medical school, we were given a standard sheet or "book" (not textbook) that contained the necessary equations and formulas/numbers that we needed to know to solve the problems. Lawyers earn a "JD", should we call them doc?

Well, i had some tests like you describe but many others were open book. I guess diff professors and diff schools have different ways of testing.

Did you not address your math/physics/chemistry/biology professors as "Doctor"??? I certainly did as an undergrad but we became more informal once i was in grad school:)

The traditional answer is that anybody with a doctorate is a Doctor in the professional context, but only physicians are Doctors in a social context. This is the traditional etiquette for wedding announcements, for example. These rules are no longer followed closely, of course, but there does still seem to be a general understanding among Americans that when you call someone a "doctor", you are referring to a physician, whereas if you address them as "Dr. so and so", they could have any of various doctorates. Interestingly, JDs are never addressed as doctor. Technically they are "So and so, esquire".

On the lawyer example, i think the reason is that you can go on to get a master's and a PhD in a legal specialty.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Amanda Stevens Article [solitude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing some of your insight into balancing training while in residency though I do not foresee having kids while in residency, especially not as a female, but that is another discussion. It sounds like you really do as much as you possibly can given your schedule, and probably as much training if not more than people who work a more typical job. I can see how you feel and perform better than your co-residents, one because exercise is good for your physical and mental health, and two because you are making time to do something for yourself, which is something I have seen many residents fail to do. My classmates were always amazed at how I was able to fit in training, when like you said it is fairly simple, just get up early and fit as much as you can into your free time. It is a bummer than you cannot race much, at least none of the bigger races that require travel. Good luck with everything and hopefully before long you'll be an attending and can race almost as much as you would like to.

Emily Sherrard
@EmSher1
Powered by
Accelerate3 Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Amanda Stevens Article [JSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the states you do 4 years of medical school followed by residency. Here is a brief, and far from exhaustive, explanation of the process.

For primary care (family medicine, general internal medicine, pediatric primary care) it is a 3 year residency program. Trainees do the 3 years of training and take the specialty boards and can then practice on your own.

For specialties (cardiology, gastroenterology, infectious disease, endocrinology, rhematology, heme/onc, ect) there is 3 years of internal medicine residency followed by a 3 year fellowship in the specialty before being able to practice.

Radiology does 1 year of a general internship (called a prelim year) and then 3 years of residency. Ophthalmology is the same, as is pathology.

Most general surgery residencies are 5 years.

There are multiple ways to specialize within each specialty which require additional training in fellowships. But really a trainee need only complete their residency before going into practice. The one exception, which may not be the case everywhere, but it is possible to complete just an internship and take the final part of the licensing exam (USMLE step 3) then work in an urgent care, as a licensed, but not a boarded physician.

That's the gist, hope it clears things up for you.

Emily Sherrard
@EmSher1
Powered by
Accelerate3 Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Amanda Stevens Article [kells] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kells wrote:
I'm in one of the ROAD specialties in a large academic center. I work about 55 hours per week - much more if you include all the reading we have to do for our specialty. We don't have easy 9-4 hours like some places (hours are more like 8 to 7), and I'm often on home call (which means long bike rides or runs or any kind of races are out the window). I actually thought my intern year was easier than my residency in many respects.

I chose my specialty partly because I wanted to have a life outside of medicine. I'm glad I made that decision.

Not sure which part of the E-ROAD you're on, but I'm a Peds Anesthesia Attending on Q3 pager call, probably for life. When I'm on the hook, outdoor long rides and runs can be done as shorter looped courses in case I need to bail. Not as much ability to sample the scenery, but better than nothing. And better than a trainer.

--------------
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.
Quote Reply
Re: Amanda Stevens Article [EmSher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EmSher wrote:
Thanks for sharing some of your insight into balancing training while in residency though I do not foresee having kids while in residency, especially not as a female, but that is another discussion. It sounds like you really do as much as you possibly can given your schedule, and probably as much training if not more than people who work a more typical job. I can see how you feel and perform better than your co-residents, one because exercise is good for your physical and mental health, and two because you are making time to do something for yourself, which is something I have seen many residents fail to do. My classmates were always amazed at how I was able to fit in training, when like you said it is fairly simple, just get up early and fit as much as you can into your free time. It is a bummer than you cannot race much, at least none of the bigger races that require travel. Good luck with everything and hopefully before long you'll be an attending and can race almost as much as you would like to.

Not having kids in med school/residency leaves you with plenty of time, as noted. Maybe not for 25 hr/week, but that depends on your creativity and the demands of the specific rotation you're on. I/we chose to have kids during the process, but that's another story. Good luck with it all. Hope to hear more.

--------------
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.
Quote Reply
Re: Amanda Stevens Article [N. Dorphin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. It certainly does take some creativity, as well as a no-excuses attitude, to balance residency with training as you highlighted in a previous response where you do short loops on the bike while on call. I have heard of other people doing the same thing to get it done. I am glad I had a bit of a taste as a student so I could learn what works and what doesn't. Probably the most important lesson I learned was that no matter how tired I was or how little time I had, I always felt better doing some kind of workout even if it was just a short one.

Emily Sherrard
@EmSher1