Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

High Blood Pressure Medication
Quote | Reply
What has been your experience? Are you using Ace inhibitors or the water pill? Which one works better for athletes?
Quote Reply
Re: High Blood Pressure Medication [Miguelon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm using an ACE inhibitor (Lisinopril), 5mg. Zero side effects.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
here is a quote from dr. lawrence creswell (cardiologist, does a lot of work in triathlon). this is from an article i'm just preparing for publication. it's not published yet, but it speaks directly to your question:

"Beta-blockers are poorly tolerated by athletes because they limit the HR in addition to reducing the BP," explains Dr. Creswell. "Diuretics, even weak ones like HCTZ, may be poorly tolerated because of issues with dehydration during exercise. ACE inhibitors or ARB – angiotensin receptor blockers – are often good choices for athletes. For any individual athlete, some experimentation with trial-and-error may be needed to settle on the best medication."

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on an ARB/HCTZ combo, no problems. I started on an ace inhibitor and got a bad cough after about a month or 2, and it took about a month for the cough to go away after switching to the ARB. The cough definitely affected my cycling but affected me even in my sleep and not doing anything vigorous. My coworkers and my wife noticed my cough and commented on how bad it was. I was in denial and it also took a long time for the cough to stop after switching so at first I didn't think it was the Ace giving me the cough.
Quote Reply
Re: High Blood Pressure Medication [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply Dan. I just started on HCTZ and was told not to use it on long bike or run days. On Diovan as well. I love when nurses ask me if I have tried exercise to lower my blood pressure. Alas, my dad has had it since he was 25 and he was a string bean.
Quote Reply
Re: High Blood Pressure Medication [krupkake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HCTZ (Hydrochlorothiazide), along with most other diuretics, is on the WADA banned list. This is because it tends to mask the presence of other banned drugs. I believe a TUE for a diuretic is easier to get, than say for testosterone, but still a pain. I have a heart condition that requires me to take a diuretic (and three other anti-hypertension drugs), and could get a TUE. However, since I'm no longer competitive, I've just stopped racing. My heart condition (left ventricular hypertrophy - thickened heart walls caused by uncontrolled hypertension...) causes a major loss in pumping efficiency. I don't have the link right now, but I did print the WADA article on "Arterial Hypertension" which explains their position in some detail. It also describes the TUE process for diuretics.

Remember Luddites are people too...
Last edited by: tdstegner: Nov 26, 15 6:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No side effects with Ramipril, an ACE inhibitor. Take 10 mg daily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lifestyle modifications work best for me (meditation, moderation, exercise, lower body mass), but when I need a "helping hand" I take an ARB, Diovan, 80mg. It went generic a year or two ago (Valsartan), so it's pretty inexpensive. CoQ10 seems to lower my BP also. I don't have any side effects from either. I took Lisinopril for a while but it gave me an itchy throat and dry cough.
Quote Reply
Re: High Blood Pressure Medication [Monsieur Trois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monsieur Trois wrote:

I was on lisinopril for a few years with no side effects. Then ran into fainting issues (long run, mildly dehydrated, lisinopril acts on potassium regulation in kidneys, increased potassium in blood). My cardiologist switched me to amlodipine. I did have mild swelling in my feet, but that passed and no other side effects.
Quote Reply
Re: High Blood Pressure Medication [JohnKropp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi
I am on the borderline of needing medication but we are monitoring at this stage.
I noticed that you mentioned co enzyme Q10.
Is that just one a health food store sells and if so what milligram do you take?
Do you think it helps?
Quote Reply
Re: High Blood Pressure Medication [Jonboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I buy the Nature's Made brand, at Kroger or Target, and take 100mg per day (which appears to be on the low side of dosage recommendations - google "CoQ10 dosage"). My chiropractor recommended it and my physician doesn't object. I think it helps me but your result may be different.
Last edited by: JohnKropp: Nov 27, 15 6:39
Quote Reply
Re: High Blood Pressure Medication [JohnKropp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JohnKropp wrote:
Lifestyle modifications work best for me (meditation, moderation, exercise, lower body mass), but when I need a "helping hand" I take an ARB, Diovan, 80mg. It went generic a year or two ago (Valsartan), so it's pretty inexpensive. CoQ10 seems to lower my BP also. I don't have any side effects from either. I took Lisinopril for a while but it gave me an itchy throat and dry cough.

Thanks for replying. What COQ10 brand do you use. I've been getting the "Kirkland" brand. My BP is around 130s/80s most days. I get a 140 every now and then when I'm stressed.

JohnKropp
I saw your post. No need to answer. Thanks!
Last edited by: Miguelon: Nov 30, 15 13:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. This is kind of what I'm looking for. My dad takes ARBs but he gets the coughing side effect. He is sedentary where as I'm active, but if the side effects are based on genetics more than likely I'll be coughing like a maniac.

Slowman wrote:
here is a quote from dr. lawrence creswell (cardiologist, does a lot of work in triathlon). this is from an article i'm just preparing for publication. it's not published yet, but it speaks directly to your question:

"Beta-blockers are poorly tolerated by athletes because they limit the HR in addition to reducing the BP," explains Dr. Creswell. "Diuretics, even weak ones like HCTZ, may be poorly tolerated because of issues with dehydration during exercise. ACE inhibitors or ARB – angiotensin receptor blockers – are often good choices for athletes. For any individual athlete, some experimentation with trial-and-error may be needed to settle on the best medication."
Last edited by: Miguelon: Nov 30, 15 13:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on Cozaar (Losarten) 50mg I think. I was on Hyzaar (stronger version), but it dropped my BP too low. I'm not sure which group it falls into, but I was switched to that after not tolerating beta blockers initially (persistent cough, about every 30 to 60 seconds, even in my sleep, when I'd pass out from exhaustion)

Seems to work well for me, with no identifiable side effects. On second thought, there has been a lot of weight gain, but that might be because I stopped training and racing. But I'll blame the pills :-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: High Blood Pressure Medication [Silvercivic27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1,

except my cough was so bad I could barely work, and sleep was really just waiting for total exhaustion to take over. It ruined my families life too as they couldn't sleep with me coughing all night.

At the time I hadn't told my wife I was seeing a cardiologist because I didn't want to worry her (she's a worrier) until it was confirmed I did have a problem. She identified my cough (I hadn't been told that was a possible side effect) and kept insisting I see a doctor. After about a month, I went to my doc who then sent me straight back to the cardiologists. I was switched right away. I don't remember how long the cough took to clear when I switched however.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

This has been my experience too. Additionally, if someone is on any BP med prior to beginning regular exercise, it's important to monitor BP over time. The combined effects of the medication and exercise can result in low BP. The solution is to work with the physician who will usually gradually reduce the dose or change meds over time as their body begins to do on it's own what the medication had been doing.

USAT Lvl1 Coach, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, BS Exercise Science
Quote Reply
Re: High Blood Pressure Medication [trijordan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trijordan wrote:
Monsieur Trois wrote:

I was on lisinopril for a few years with no side effects. Then ran into fainting issues (long run, mildly dehydrated, lisinopril acts on potassium regulation in kidneys, increased potassium in blood). My cardiologist switched me to amlodipine. I did have mild swelling in my feet, but that passed and no other side effects.

This was my problem with Lisinopril as well, only it reared its ugly head immediately. I knew something wasn't quite right when I got fairly light headed immediately after finishing an Oly distance triathlon, which had never happened before. I chalked it up to some more dehydration than usual. I also almost blacked out on my bike during a long humid bike...had to actually lie in the ditch for a while before I could struggle back home. The worst was after a "1/3 iron" race (1 mile swim, 37 mile bike, 8 mile run), where every time I stopped to walk at the aid stations, I would start to get dizzy. After the race, I had to lie down for over 10-15 minutes before I could even sit without starting to black out. Talked to my doc, who never offered something different, so I stopped taking it. I take my BP from time to time, and sometimes it's decent, and sometimes its elevated. But I am concerned about the long term effects, so I am planning on going back to the doc to see what else is out there. I'm glad to hear that there are options other than Lisinopril.

Quote | Reply
On a slightly different topic, I have a home blood pressure monitor and it gives me inconsistent information. For example I read 137/88 on my first attempt (right arm). I panic... then I take by blood pressure again (left arm) and it reads 124/78. Have you seen this kind of behavior?
Last edited by: Miguelon: Dec 1, 15 13:24
Quote Reply