Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Zipp releases the new Zipp 808 NSW! [Silvercivic27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't Your Wallet really just part of Your Wife.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp releases the new Zipp 808 NSW! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hands down the best aero wheels out there. Said to give you up to 10% increase!
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp releases the new Zipp 808 NSW! [BeeSeeBee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BeeSeeBee wrote:
On the spoke note:

CX-Rays: 2.0 - (0.9x2.2) - 2.0 mm
CX-Sprints: 2.0 - (1.25x2.25) - 2.0 mm

Josh mentioned an 8W penalty when using round vs CX-Rays on 404s, the sprints aren't as bad as round spokes, but also aren't as narrow as CX-Rays (and slightly shorter in length due to the 808 depth), so how much of this gain, if any, is from them comparing their now downgraded wheels to this new wheel?

Any idea why zipp changed away from the proven CX-rays on their current wheels? Cost? Durability? Other?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp releases the new Zipp 808 NSW! [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha, I'd have no prob elm saying that if it were true...but, not so much with this guy. He likes to go fast in straight lines only :D

Carson Christen
Sport Scientist / Coach
Torden Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp releases the new Zipp 808 NSW! [chrica04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrica04 wrote:
The claim that you can ride at higher speeds approaching corners and brake much less is definitely true. I was riding 808 Firecrests this weekend and the SRAM'ie I was riding with was on these new NSW 808's wheels. It was simply disheartening how much later he could wait to brake heading into corners compared to what I was. Very cool sounding brake track too if that makes anything "more cool"

As with everyone though...what a price point.

Not sure I understand what you are saying here. Riding faster and braking less in the corners is the result of a change in wheel or hub design????
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp releases the new Zipp 808 NSW! [nickwisconsin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Axial-Clutch Hubs as well as the Showstopper Breaking Surface seem to be the reason. I didn't look at them too closely, but was pretty amazed at how they handled in the cross-winds and technical terrain we had here in Germany. I'll be looking forward to testing them out in the wet.

Carson Christen
Sport Scientist / Coach
Torden Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp releases the new Zipp 808 NSW! [chrica04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrica04 wrote:
The Axial-Clutch Hubs as well as the Showstopper Breaking Surface seem to be the reason. I didn't look at them too closely, but was pretty amazed at how they handled in the cross-winds and technical terrain we had here in Germany. I'll be looking forward to testing them out in the wet.

So the rims are a better braking surface so you don't have to break until the last minute? That makes sense. Not sure how the hubs would influnce this though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nickwisconsin wrote:
chrica04 wrote:

So the rims are a better braking surface so you don't have to break until the last minute? That makes sense. Not sure how the hubs would influnce this though.

Triathletes are experts at shifting their weight back and threshold braking with the front wheel. That brake surface will really make a huge difference.

Hey, it could be a big time savings since most triathletes can't handle a bike and need to slow to 5mph for a U turn you could take at 15 or slow to 2mph entering T2 when you can step off at 12-mph.

Of course, you could spend $3000 on one on one coaching to teach you how to handle a bike.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp releases the new Zipp 808 NSW! [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
nickwisconsin wrote:
chrica04 wrote:

Triathletes are experts at shifting their weight back and threshold braking with the front wheel. That brake surface will really make a huge difference.

Hey, it could be a big time savings since most triathletes can't handle a bike and need to slow to 5mph for a U turn you could take at 15 or slow to 2mph entering T2 when you can step off at 12-mph.

Of course, you could spend $3000 on one on one coaching to teach you how to handle a bike.

Don't get me started. I don't see where this is a practical advantage to a triathlete. A time trialist on technical course, maybe. A mountain decent, maybe. But except for the bike dismount line, I doubt I ever use my brakes in most triathlons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too am not sure why Zipp focused on braking situations. I think the axial clutch would benefit the rider more when tucked and coasting. In those situations, the lack of pawl drag would presumable result in increased speed. Now of course it would seem highly likely that the decreased pawl drag and resulting increased speed would be so insignificant as to be immeasurable, but it would be interesting to see someone test this.

For me, the silent assassin hub with no noise while coasting would appeal to me even more than the lack of pawl drag.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp releases the new Zipp 808 NSW! [Naps a lot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Naps a lot wrote:
Drdan wrote:
Wow. 90s on an ironman distance bike....

At 40 km/hr (24.2 mph). And we're all riding that fast for an Ironman. Not.

Not only does your premise suck, so does your math.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp releases the new Zipp 808 NSW! [GatorRacer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GatorRacer wrote:
It sounds like a great product to me:

“The new Sawtooth dimple design consists of 12 nodes that are specifically clocked to start aerodynamic shearing at a rate of 50hz at a rider speed of 20mph. Sawtooth accomplishes this by inducing small sheet vortices that shed at a low magnitude, but at a higher natural frequency, thus decreasing the laminar bubble effect on the aerodynamically shielded side of the rim’s profile to further reduce high yaw drag and improve crosswind stability.”

They've done studies, you know... 60% of the time, it works every time!
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp releases the new Zipp 808 NSW! [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any ideas if and when the NSW will come to the disk?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp releases the new Zipp 808 NSW! [loutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I spoke to the Zipp rep today at my shop. He brought in some Zipp 808 NSW and Sram eTap to play with. I asked him about an NSW disc and he said nothing on the table right now. It could be a few years if they even decide to do it. Looking at technology roll down, I would expect Zipp to make one eventually.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp releases the new Zipp 808 NSW! [loutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Discs sell in such low volumes and are so hard to manufacture I expect it to take a while. A 404, 303, and probably a 202 version will come out before the disc.

Edit: The 404 NSW basically already exists. Firestrike rim plus the new hubs.
Last edited by: durk onion: Nov 12, 15 9:01
Quote Reply

Prev Next