Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

mens new tri kit needed
Quote | Reply
i am looking for a new tri kit it is time to replace my old one. it needs to have sufficient padding for long course. i also would like it to be a 2 piece. i have been using a louis garneau pro triathlon kit 1 piece. it is very comfortable but maybe a little more padding would be nice. i have read a lot of good reviews on the de sota tri kits, but i have the 400 mile bib short and the material is hot and the padding is hard to me. i just bought pearl izumi men's p.r.o. in-r-cool tri shorts thinking these would work but not enough padding. please give me your experiences on what works and does not.
p.s. i was looking at kiwami spider tri shorts and top but not sure if its worth the extra money over tyr, zoot, 2xu.
Quote Reply
Re: mens new tri kit needed [jmdboyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
De Soto for me all the way. Check out the shorts with both the 7mm and 4mm padding. MUCH less than the 14mm on the 400 mile shorts.

Emilio offers a return guarantee so it is worth a try!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree regarding De Soto. If you are going to go with a 2 piece consider the tri bib that they make.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just raced Iron CHOO in a DeSoto Riveira short sleeve suit. It worked great! In training, I biked 126 miles once. The 7 mm pad and my Cobb Gen 2 saddle are a match made in Heaven! Highly recommend.

Habitual line stepper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, the Kiwami IS worth the difference in the brands you named. Material and workmanship is far superior, and the technology of the design is at the top. The Spider line had much more compression than the named brands, and also has lasted me so much longer than all the previous suits I've worn. When you get multiple seasons from your clothing, it more than justifies any extra cost, and with the added comfort, it's a no brainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for DeSoto Riveira tri bibs, shorts or tri suit I've race in all of them. Just did my first 70.3 in the tri suit last weekend, loved it.

FYI: the last few years my go to race kit was DeSoto Riveira tri bibs with a DS tri or bike jersey. But like I posted I really liked the new short sleeve tri suit.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Oct 6, 15 20:28
Quote Reply
Re: mens new tri kit needed [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went back and looked at my de sota bib and I was wrong it is the tri bib I have with 7mm pad. I have not used these as much as my other bike kits because like I said they are hot but did the pad feel hard to any of you when you first got them? Maybe it needs to be broken in more and maybe the shorts are more comfortable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before DS had the 7mm pad I raced in the 4mm one but once I raced in the 7mm I’ve never went back. At first I thought it might be too stiff/hard for the run but I never noticed and this is for all distances. I never thought about them being too hot.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: mens new tri kit needed [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just curious, on the Spider shorts, how much pad is there? Is it the normal pad found on the 1 piece short course Spider suit or something different?

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I echo the DeSoto sentiments for the most part. I love everything about my Riviera shorts (7mm pad) except for some reason the stitching on the right side of the pad ends up chafing in an unpleasant spot after about 20 miles. I've tried more lube, different lube, different saddles, etc. to no avail. Maybe I just have a weird shape in that one spot. Even tried the Forza line thinking the thinner pad might help, but I don't care for that material as much. Going to try a pair of Kiwamis shortly to see if that rectifies the problem.

Riviera sleeved tri top on the other hand is the bomb. Really really tight on me before a race but once I'm rolling it absolutely disappears.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on Kiwani. Been racing in them for years and love the brand. I race and train in the prima XC shorts. I'd put the padding in the middle of the pack in terms of other brands Ive tried.

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Re: mens new tri kit needed [andy515] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
looks like everyone likes de sota or kiwami. since they are close in price and i have tried de sota I'm going to try kiwami and see if i like them better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got some DSS Riviera shorts a couple of years ago, but the even the older pad felt too thick to run when I put them on. They languished in my drawer for a many months until I tried them because everything else was dirty. They are GREAT! I didn't think I could run in them, but when I come off of the bike on a brick, they are not a problem. They still feel too thick when I first put them on, but that feeling goes away. I also got some Riviera TriBibs, which I think are a bit hot for hot days. I think they'd be better, if the mesh on the straps extended all the way to my waist.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Last edited by: docfuel: Oct 8, 15 6:14
Quote Reply
Re: mens new tri kit needed [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also got some Riviera TriBibs, which I think are a bit hot for hot days. I think they'd be better, if the mesh on the straps extended all the way to my waist.
------------------------------------
Dick
This is one reason why the new tri suit is nice.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: mens new tri kit needed [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to admit that I feel self conscious in a tri-suit except at races.
I might have to try that suit next year.

Sorry about the misplaced comma.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply