Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Streamline off the wall in swimming [Chicago_Grant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chicago_Grant wrote:
I have wondered this too, but then thought, "What's the point? There is no wall to push off ever 25/50m in a lake." So for me, I do not focus on this that much and figure I should get as close to open water simulation as I can in a pool. Although, I still flip turn because I feel that more closely approximates breathing patterns than stopping at the wall which lends itself to catching my breath . . . too, flip turns are fun.

swimmer friend sent me this article the other day:

http://triathlon.competitor.com/...from-swimmers_121664
Quote Reply
Re: Streamline off the wall in swimming [climber7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"
Streamlining helps teach you the importance of reducing frontal drag, whether during the push off the wall or during the swim itself. As long as you are moving, frontal drag is slowing you down. We spend a great deal of time teaching you how to swim with less frontal drag.
Read more at http://triathlon.competitor.com/...#GXLMzhqo8QclTBX6.99"

yeah but who is this Gary Hall Sr. guy?
Quote Reply
Re: Streamline off the wall in swimming [climber7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair points. Now I am just gonna go to the . . . seriously, I have to swim that much to get faster? But I don't wanna. :)

From Chicago to Sydney . . . soooo Sydney_Grant
Quote Reply
Re: Streamline off the wall in swimming [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some of the advantages that come from streamlining to a non-competitive swimmer:

1. Success in streamlining primarily involves consistent good body position and getting into that position quickly and in a disciplined fashion. Good position is easily accomplished by even the most untalented swimmer if a consistent discipline is applied (Great position can take some work but is pretty easily achieved if you have decent shoulder flexibility and can have the discipline to try on every turn).

So a good (or at least a better) streamline is probably the easiest achieved "ah ha" moment in swimming. Improving your stream line will carry over to improving other parts of your swimming (i.e. stroke mechanics) if not physically at least psychologically. You will have success that immediately pays of and have something to work on that you can actually get better at fairly quickly.

2. The single biggest benefit is that if you can do decent turns and streamline well off of them, you are more likely to be able to keep up with faster swimmers. This in turn will lead to better workouts for you. It's akin to mastering group riding skills sufficiently to finally get into a good group ride. That will make you a stronger rider as you get beat up by a better class of cyclist. Same thing can happen if you improve your turns.

3. If you are rolling solo, you can get just as good a bike workout in on a $200 40 pound mountain bike as you can on a $6000 dialed in bike with Zipp wheels. Same with doing laps with crappy turns, its all swimming right? But, which bike is more fun to ride? Same thing with good turns in the pool. It just feels better. Feels better = more and better workouts because suddenly, swimming is kind of fun!

4. Working on your streamline is a no cost activity. You do not have to give up training time to do drills. You are turning around anyway so just concentrate during every turn. You are doing them anyway so why not make them productive?
Quote Reply
Re: Streamline off the wall in swimming [andrejs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree on the BS meter.

While a world class sprinter will likely "easily" do sub 20 from a dive in practice, I contend that there are likely less than 10, maybe 15 people in the world that can do so, when you start talking doing multiples of them - it falls off fast.

http://www.hawkeyesports.com/...-swim/150326F004.htm

That is a link to last years NCAA D1 50 free. Of those entered, I would say only about 4 of them would likely be capable of doing a sub-20 from a dive off the blocks in practice.

FWIW -

In college on standup sets for 50s, where we would get 5 to 8 minutes rest, I was typically a full second slower than normal meet times, and ~1.5 seconds slower than a shaved taper time.
Last edited by: sentania: Oct 7, 15 7:43
Quote Reply
Re: Streamline off the wall in swimming [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
I agree on the BS meter.

While a world class sprinter will likely "easily" do sub 20 from a dive in practice, I contend that there are likely less than 10, maybe 15 people in the world that can do so, when you start talking doing multiples of them - it falls off fast.

That is a link to last years NCAA D1 50 free. Of those entered, I would say only about 4 of them would likely be capable of doing a sub-20 from a dive off the blocks in practice.

FWIW -

In college on standup sets for 50s, where we would get 5 to 8 minutes rest, I was typically a full second slower than normal meet times, and ~1.5 seconds slower than a shaved taper time.

There aren't many who can do that currently, for sure. A dozen guys, maybe? 20 tops. handful of brazilians, 3 or 4 americans, a few french, couple of aussies, one canadian, one or 2 chinese, couple of russians, and maybe a smattering of other guys. Someone like up and coming superstar Caleb Dressel does what, 18 mid to 18 high in a meet? Even he'd have trouble doing sub 20's in practice, and he's bloody fast.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Streamline off the wall in swimming [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're exactly right! Did you see the article on MAGNOLIA SWIMMING on the front page. Check out the pix that report the power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the other hand, there are significantly more guys who could go a 22 and lots of guys who could go a 23 off the blocks in practice and a 2 to 3 second error trying to time off a pace clock while causally watching someone doing 50's would not be unusual if you are not actually starting them on your signal and your're not an expert in timing swim repeats which the original poster does not seem to be.

So, BS on sub 20 but I'll take the guy's word that he was watching a fast skilled swimmer with a great start and turn which I think was the only point he was trying to make ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of what I would say has already been said about body position, frontal drag, free speed off the walls, etc. However, how do you get better at streamlining? There are probably a ton of drills out there, but here are some of my personal favorites:

1. Going the Distance: Push off the wall and just glide as far as you can. Work on your arms, legs (including your butt), and core being really tight. Focus on reaching towards the other end of the pool with your hands and arms. The tighter you are, the better.

2. Streamline Bobs: Here is a video, but I like doing them in the deep end to increase the difficulty level. If your body position is good, you will go straight up and straight down. Really fun drill.

3. Diving into the pool: Seems weird, but if you can jump into the pool from the blocks this is ideal. If you have a good streamline and good body position, you can go very far underwater after jumping in. Just make sure the pool is deep enough...no backboards if at all possible. If you can practice starts safely, that would be great. Gets your body position right and helps you have a better feel for the water.

With that said, I don't think streamlines will help you a great deal with open water swimming. It WILL help your body position which WILL help your open water times. I sometimes shorten up my streamlines off each wall to mimic the open water timing. It's a trick I learned from a guy who did the English Channel swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
I agree on the BS meter.

FWIW -

What was your delta between starting off the blocks vs. push from the wall?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Streamline off the wall in swimming [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clocks run forwards, not backwards. You must be in Australia?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Digging things out of memory and some guesstimation - so possibly not completely accurate, but not made up BS

50 SCY PR: 21.81

50 SCY Typical Non-tapered swim: 22.3ish

50 SCY during stand up sets - 23.mid (typically 5-10 of these on 5-8 minutes rest)

50 SCY from push - probably 24.high (typically 3x10 of these on 1:30)
Quote Reply
Re: Streamline off the wall in swimming [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STP wrote:
On the other hand, there are significantly more guys who could go a 22 and lots of guys who could go a 23 off the blocks in practice and a 2 to 3 second error trying to time off a pace clock while causally watching someone doing 50's would not be unusual if you are not actually starting them on your signal and your're not an expert in timing swim repeats which the original poster does not seem to be.

So, BS on sub 20 but I'll take the guy's word that he was watching a fast skilled swimmer with a great start and turn which I think was the only point he was trying to make ;-)

Oh yeah - guys who can go 22 or 23 from a dive in practice - absolutely dime a dozen.
Quote Reply
Re: Streamline off the wall in swimming [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STP wrote:
Some of the advantages that come from streamlining to a non-competitive swimmer:

1. Success in streamlining primarily involves consistent good body position and getting into that position quickly and in a disciplined fashion. Good position is easily accomplished by even the most untalented swimmer if a consistent discipline is applied (Great position can take some work but is pretty easily achieved if you have decent shoulder flexibility and can have the discipline to try on every turn).

So a good (or at least a better) streamline is probably the easiest achieved "ah ha" moment in swimming. Improving your stream line will carry over to improving other parts of your swimming (i.e. stroke mechanics) if not physically at least psychologically. You will have success that immediately pays of and have something to work on that you can actually get better at fairly quickly.

2. The single biggest benefit is that if you can do decent turns and streamline well off of them, you are more likely to be able to keep up with faster swimmers. This in turn will lead to better workouts for you. It's akin to mastering group riding skills sufficiently to finally get into a good group ride. That will make you a stronger rider as you get beat up by a better class of cyclist. Same thing can happen if you improve your turns.

3. If you are rolling solo, you can get just as good a bike workout in on a $200 40 pound mountain bike as you can on a $6000 dialed in bike with Zipp wheels. Same with doing laps with crappy turns, its all swimming right? But, which bike is more fun to ride? Same thing with good turns in the pool. It just feels better. Feels better = more and better workouts because suddenly, swimming is kind of fun!

4. Working on your streamline is a no cost activity. You do not have to give up training time to do drills. You are turning around anyway so just concentrate during every turn. You are doing them anyway so why not make them productive?

I like this post. I take a little issue with #3. You want to time trial well, then you need to practice time trial. Same goes with slow sloppy swimming versus honed, hydrodynamic swimming.
Quote Reply

Prev Next